Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best Smartphones on Prepaid Without Data Plan

Feedback Score

Best Smartphones on Prepaid Without Data Plan

I would be interested in hearing from others here what smartphones they are using on prepaid/MVNO without data plans. What smartphone features can you or do you use that don't require a data plan? I have a Pharos GPS Phone 600 that I use with Garmin Mobile XT for GPS navigation. I also use the wifi for occasional web surfing. I am thinking about a Blackberry for Slacker Radio since it can stream via wifi or cache data with the USB connection.

Carrier
    I <3 Verizon!
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348
    I would be interested in hearing from others here what smartphones they are using on prepaid/MVNO without data plans. What smartphone features can you or do you use that don't require a data plan? I have a Pharos GPS Phone 600 that I use with Garmin Mobile XT for GPS navigation. I also use the wifi for occasional web surfing. I am thinking about a Blackberry for Slacker Radio since it can stream via wifi or cache data with the USB connection.
    Page Plus + any smartphone with WiFi.

Feedback Score
    G1 is fine. Everything except MMS works over wifi.

Phones
    HTC Dream - Unlocked/Rooted
    Sony Ericson onboard 3G data card - Unlocked
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Another +1 for the G1. My Blackberry Pearl worked alright with wifi and a voice-only SIM (which is what I did through-out Europe), and it can do UMA if your with a carrier that supports it. If you do switch it to a provider with data though, you need that carrier to support Blackberry devices though if you don't want to hack it to get things like the webbrowser to work.

Windows Mobile devices also work pretty decently without data, although I'm not a huge fan of them.
    If you really expect an interesting signature, look elsewhere ...
    - AT&T *really* amazed me, but their spotty 3G network lost me.

Feedback Score
    And don't forget you can put a BlackBerry on Boost Mobile and pay nothing extra for data service. The BlackBerry is not as good as a G1, in my opinion, but you might make that compromise to take advantage of cheap data service.

It's pretty sad that there is no decent pay-per-use data service for GSM phones. I really hope that will change soon.

Feedback Score

Confused by replies from Tmobile rep re: using unlocked smartphone on prepaid

I rarely use my cell, except for emergencies and travelling. I have Tmobile prepaid for that. However, I have a pda that I use extensively (Dell Axim x51v), but it is getting old. I thought it best if I try to consolidate gadgets to reduce the number of devices, batteries, cords, etc. I carry. So I thought I would get a smartphone but without a data plan because I do NOT want email/web browsing on my phone. I just want to use prepaid minutes for the few calls I make a year, and to use the smartphone/pda functions to organize my life. I chatted with a tmobile rep asking specifically if I could by an unsubsidized HTC Touch Pro 2 (I want the large qwerty keyboard for editing mobile Word docs) on my prepaid minutes for voice only. She said NO, that I would have to log in with an email account to use the phone functions of the device. This is contrary to everything I had previously read about unlocked smartphones. So was she wrong, or can Tmobile prevent me from using a smartphone as a simple prepaid cell phone? I don't want to spend $600 for an unlocked device only to find it won't work as a simple cell phone.

thx

Feedback Score

Best Smartphones on Prepaid Without Data Plan

I have a Pharos GPS Phone 600 that is unlocked. I have used my T-Mobile Pre-Paid SIM card in it. It works as a GPS independent of the cell phone towers, has built in wifi, etc. The rep may have been trained that way, so she might not be intentionally lying. Actually, T-Mobile might not be able to sell certain phones to you without a data plan, so many will try to dissuade you from what you want to do. I actually have my Pharos for sale, let me know if you are interested.

Feedback Score
    Windows Mobile phones generally work fine without a data connection. You can sync over USB. But I'd dissuade you from getting a Windows Mobile phone, because Windows Mobile sucks. It really does.

Phone
    Cingular 2125
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Your Touch Pro is a phone...that happens to have some extra features built in.

I routinely swap between ATT and TMobile phones, all WM6-WM6.5, and have no trouble at all. My plan is voice only, and frankly it's none of the carrier's business what I do with my phone, so long as it's compatible with the network.

I've also unlocked several iPhones for use on prepaid, and all work beautifully.

Never *ask* the carrier's representative whether they will *allow* you to use a smart phone. They shouldn't even be involved in the decision!

Chuck

Phones
    Nokia Lumia
    Nokia Lumia 925
    Samsung i730, HTC HD2
    Carriers
    T-Mobile,
    T-Mobile 2 Go Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    I use an old Samsung i730 on PagePlus. It's a Windows Mobile touchscreen phone that has WiFi, bluetooth, and its old enough to support Verizon's old Quick2Net (dialup 14.4 kbps data, which while slow, is ok for email and downloading driving directions with Microsoft Bing.) It also has 3G data if you're willing to pay $1.20/MB (I'm not!)

You can use newer WiFi smartphones on PagePlus, but nothing newer than the i730 supports Quick2Net out-of-the-box. (Some can be hacked to add it.)
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Feedback Score
    I also use i730, everything is good but one thing. The rington volume is so low, even highest is not loud enough. Vibration is so gentle that I never could notice. And there is option let rington and vibration work at the same time. elecconnec do you have such issue?

I730 is wm 2003 se, I just wonder if I upgrade to WM5, could I solve such problem?

Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec
    I use an old Samsung i730 on PagePlus. It's a Windows Mobile touchscreen phone that has WiFi, bluetooth, and its old enough to support Verizon's old Quick2Net (dialup 14.4 kbps data, which while slow, is ok for email and downloading driving directions with Microsoft Bing.) It also has 3G data if you're willing to pay $1.20/MB (I'm not!)

You can use newer WiFi smartphones on PagePlus, but nothing newer than the i730 supports Quick2Net out-of-the-box. (Some can be hacked to add it.)

Phones
    Nokia Lumia
    Nokia Lumia 925
    Samsung i730, HTC HD2
    Carriers
    T-Mobile,
    T-Mobile 2 Go Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkliu
    I also use i730, everything is good but one thing. The rington volume is so low, even highest is not loud enough. Vibration is so gentle that I never could notice. And there is option let rington and vibration work at the same time. elecconnec do you have such issue?

I730 is wm 2003 se, I just wonder if I upgrade to WM5, could I solve such problem?

My i730 is a bit quieter than my AT&T Tilt Windows Phone but it's not bad. I tend to use shrill, annoying ringtones anyway. My current ring is the Bosen Whistle from the original Star Trek show. (The "whoo-weee-ooo" sound the ship intercoms used to make.)

My i730 came with WM5, so I don't know if it's louder than WM2003 or not.

Phone
    E51
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    I'm using Nokia E51 on T-mobile prepaid. It's a good price for a smartphone, and it's smaller than most, which is what I wanted. Overall it's an excellent phone. I don't really need data on my phone because a wifi connection is available anywhere I'd actually be surfing the web. There's pretty much a coffee shop on every other corner where I live. I don't do text messaging - someone who needs this would want to look for a different phone/plan anyways.

Feedback Score
    Samsung Omnia and HTC Ozone
    Great Battery life + Wi-Fi

Phones
    Unlocked Rogers Blackberry Q10 | LG Nexus-4 | Samsung Nexus-S
    Rogers SonyEricsson c510 (unlocked)
    Fido iPhone 3GS 32GB (unlocked)
    Carrier
    Fido | Rogers Prepaid | LycaMobile US | Bell | T-Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    I've used my Treo line of phones as well as my Nokia N95-4 with both T-Mobile prepaid and Red Pocket Mobile. Both of these companies don't offer "real" data plans so the WiFi from the N95-4 worked when I was close enough to a free WiFi hotspot.
    Fido (monthly plan - personal/data): Novatel Wireless MC950D or Nokia CS-18

Fido (monthly): ZTE WF720 Wireless Home Phone

Rogers (pay as you go - Canadian prepaid): OnePlus One

Rogers (monthly BIS data plan): Blackberry Q10 <- CANCELLED over Dispute

Lycamobile (US prepaid): Sony-Ericsson c510 or Sony-Ericsson w300i

T-Mobile (US prepaid): unlocked Fido iPhone 3GS 32GB or LG Nexus-4

Bell (tablet plan): Rogers unlocked Blackberry Q10

My Tech Blog

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast