Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: getting photos off a Katana LX

Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

getting photos off a Katana LX

Perhaps this has been answered before, but I've just spent a fair bit of time with the search feature, and cannot find my answer...

I have a Katana LX (SCP-3800) with Sprint. I have no data plan and want to transfer photos to my Mac laptop (OS 10.5).

I can detect my phone from my laptop via bluetooth, but can't get any farther. Am I missing something? How do I access the photos? Do I need some software additionally?

TIA!
    Last edited by paxxe; 09-26-2009 at 10:39 PM. Reason: removed the LG question from the Sanyo forum

Phone
    Nokia 2720
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Virgin
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by paxxe
    I have a Katana LX (SCP-3800) with Sprint.
    I can detect my phone from my laptop via bluetooth, but can't get any farther. Am I missing something? How do I access the photos? Do I need some software additionally?
    I had the same complaint when I was with Sprint. If it's only one or two photos, pay Sprint the $1 each. I ended up with "DataPilot" hardware and software.
    Regards

Phones
    FeiTeng H9503,Motorola V3M(RingPlus), AT&T MiFi Liberate,
    Kindle 3G,Isatphone,V11 Dual Sim Flip,SVP MQ999
    Carrier
    AT&T,Telna,Sprint,ekit,Inmarsat,Skype
    Feedback Score
    Nice looking phone. Should be possible to do bluetooth photo file transfers with your handset...even though Sprint (and Virgin Mobile) seem to like locking down the handsets with firmware to encourage sending MMS photos that they can charge for(maybe I'm being a bit cynical here).

I do MacBook Bluetooth pairing to an HTC/AT&T Tilt for a backup prepaid data connection in Windows internet sharing mode (Millenicom Verizon USB modem is first choice; I'm not often near a free wi-fi connection) and to an MFU V200 dual sim phone for transferring ring tones, wallpaper and photos. Setting up for file transfers is usually the easier of the two.

Suggest trying to do a forced bluetooth pairing. You can detect the phone on your laptop which is a good start. Suggest first do a software update on your Mac to make sure you have the latest bluetooth software on your computer (pull down the apple sign in the upper left hand corner and click on "Software Update). In the bluetooth menu on the top bar, make sure "Discoverable" is checked and then click on "setup bluetooth device". Let your Mac discover the phone, and walk you through the bluetooth pairing steps. As part of this it will send a code to your handset you will need to key in to permanently pair the two devices. If this doesn't work try putting your handset into pairing mode if there is a setting mode in the phone menus for this(no different than if you were trying to pair a headset). One of the two should successfully get your phone and Mac to pair.

Once paired, you can send files in the bluetooth menu by going down the menu titles to the name of your device (it will probably be something like Sanyo_Katana or something similar), and then either choosing "send file" (from Mac to phone) or "browse device" (usually phone to Mac transfers). Using browse device will let you rummage through the menus on your phone. Look for a Photos folder with jpg files in it. You may also get a message on your phones screen saying "accept FTP request? yes/no" verifying you want to transfer files or browse your phones files.

Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetKen
    Nice looking phone. Should be possible to do bluetooth photo file transfers with your handset...even though Sprint (and Virgin Mobile) seem to like locking down the handsets with firmware to encourage sending MMS photos that they can charge for(maybe I'm being a bit cynical here).

I do MacBook Bluetooth pairing to an HTC/AT&T Tilt for a backup prepaid data connection in Windows internet sharing mode (Millenicom Verizon USB modem is first choice; I'm not often near a free wi-fi connection) and to an MFU V200 dual sim phone for transferring ring tones, wallpaper and photos. Setting up for file transfers is usually the easier of the two.

Suggest trying to do a forced bluetooth pairing. You can detect the phone on your laptop which is a good start. Suggest first do a software update on your Mac to make sure you have the latest bluetooth software on your computer (pull down the apple sign in the upper left hand corner and click on "Software Update). In the bluetooth menu on the top bar, make sure "Discoverable" is checked and then click on "setup bluetooth device". Let your Mac discover the phone, and walk you through the bluetooth pairing steps. As part of this it will send a code to your handset you will need to key in to permanently pair the two devices. If this doesn't work try putting your handset into pairing mode if there is a setting mode in the phone menus for this(no different than if you were trying to pair a headset). One of the two should successfully get your phone and Mac to pair.
    All good to here!

Quote Originally Posted by GadgetKen
    Once paired, you can send files in the bluetooth menu by going down the menu titles to the name of your device (it will probably be something like Sanyo_Katana or something similar), and then either choosing "send file" (from Mac to phone) or "browse device" (usually phone to Mac transfers). Using browse device will let you rummage through the menus on your phone. Look for a Photos folder with jpg files in it. You may also get a message on your phones screen saying "accept FTP request? yes/no" verifying you want to transfer files or browse your phones files.
    I just tried browse device, and receive the message "The device does not have the necessary services"

Send file results in "File type not accepted ... The target device claims it will not accept a file of the type you are trying to send" with a jpg.

I'm pretty much only interested in getting files off, so this isn't looking good, right?

A side question, I could get a new phone (free ones right now are the LG Lotus or M330 by Samsung, but I'd prefer the lotus) is there any way to check these to see if I'd be able to transfer via bluetooth?

Phones
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Nuts, sounds like Sprint and/or Sanyo locked down the phone to prevent this. Other way is with a USB cable and software or reflashing the phone, but that is more complicated and would cost money (the reasonable idea here is to not spend anything if possible). You could also contact Apple, Sanyo or Sprint customer service and see if they have any suggestions.
    2 other simple ways out.
    1. The phone takes a microSD card. Cheap small ones available for under ten bucks. Store the photo files to the card or use the move file option to move the photos from the phone memory to the memory card. There's usually an option on most phones to set photo storage to the card. Then pop out the card and put it in your Mac with a microSD card to SD card adapter if your Mac has a slot, or with an SD card reader if it does not.
    2. The phone has Pictbridge capability. Trying wireless printing the file to a printer for hardcopy output. Use photo paper for best quality.
    If you can get a free phone and want to upgrade anyway, suggest trying to pair your Mac with a demo model in the store, or making pairing the phone to your laptop as a condition of sale. Even though the phone would be free, you are still a paying customer and they should accommodate your request.

Phone
    Nokia 2720
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Virgin
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by paxxe
    I just tried browse device, and receive the message "The device does not have the necessary services"
    ... and so on. Look at the "DataPilot" web page ... it claims that it can read and write your phonebook and read your pictures ... granted they want $29 for it.
    Regards

Phones
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontierjustice
    ... and so on. Look at the "DataPilot" web page ... it claims that it can read and write your phonebook and read your pictures ... granted they want $29 for it.
    Regards
    Looks like it can also be had for "free" by doing one TrialPay offer. For instance buying fifty bucks of clothing online at the Gap or Banana Republic.

Think using a cheapo MicroSD card as a solution might be the easiest because that doesn't require syncing or software installation. The card just becomes a storage medium that can easily be read by any computer with a card adapter or with an external card reader (our card reader reads 10 zillion card formats, buy us!).

Feedback Score

Finally figured out how to get pictures!!

::Sanyo Katana LX (SCP3800)::

Ok, after days of fooling with it, here's how to get pics off (and this ONLY gets pics and can get or send NOTHING else!) And DataPilot does NOT work.

1) buy a usb cable for it. I got mine for less than $5 including shipping from amazon.com

2) then install the Susteen SCP-3810 drivers. It says it's a modem driver...just trust me. After this is installed you can charge from your usb cable also.

3) download and install latest bitpim. I'm using 1.0.7

4) in bitpim, go to edit - settings and choose phone type SCP3200 (yes, I know it's an SCP3800). click browse in com port and choose whichever comport is associated with 'Susteen USB cable port"

5) get data from phone, and choose ONLY wallpapers or you'll get an error.

WARNING: Always make sure you plug phone into the SAME USB port you used to begin with. If not, you'll have a nightmare headache trying to fix it...this is also from experience.

Feedback Score
    Thank you so much! I created an account on here that I'm probably never going to use again just to tell you thank you for posting that! It's people like you that make the internet so useful. Thanks again.

Feedback Score
    dvanheeckeren! Thank you so much - this worked perfectly to retrieve all 79 photos from my Sanyo KATANA-LX flip phone. Service provider was Sasktel, and they were not helpful in retrieving the photos. Your solution worked for me on a Windows 7 32-bit. I did have to visit the device manager and assign the Susteen drivers manually, but then everything fell into place; launched Bitpim with SPC3200 and I selected Wallpaper only, and there they were! Copied and pasted to my PC within 10 minutes.
    Last edited by towncobbler; 01-29-2013 at 12:29 AM. Reason: typo

Feedback Score
    Hey, we all stand on the shoulders of those who came before us. There's no need to thank me at all, that would just be arrogant of me. Even though I've upgraded to an HTC Evo Shift 4G, and now to the HTC Evo 4GLTE, I still keep that phone as a backup. Comes in very handy when I break my phone and need a temporary while my HTC is out for insurance replacement.

Feedback Score
    Hey dvanheeckeren, MANY big thanks for taking the time to share your solution. I also created an account just to reply to this thread. This was an issue I had been mulling over for the past 2 days, and this solution probably prevented me from dealing with it for at least a couple more. Big thank you.

Feedback Score

I'm really glad this helped people!

Wow, sometimes you just never know what someone might use...

Here it is, 3 years later, and I see it's helped 3 people...and no telling how many others who didn't register to comment.

But I will say, the best way to thank me is to share your solutions you figure out, to pay it forward.

Feedback Score
    Does anyone know if this solution will work with a SCP 6600?

Feedback Score
    dvanheeckeren, you are a genius! Thank you so much.. would have never in a million years figured this out on my own. Had pictures on this Katana Lx phone since 2009. Bought a usb cable thinking that I'd easily be able to get pics off of it just from the cable.. was disappointed when I couldn't. I have pictures of my Grandmother and my Aunt and my dog who have all passed away.. So i really wanted the pics off there.. Very happy I was able to follow your directions..As i am NOT tech savvy at all. just wanted to thank you personally. Love you!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast