Thread: Which carriers offer bring your own phone no contract signing needed?

Feedback Score

Which carriers offer bring your own phone no contract signing needed?

Hello,

I have a good friend from overseas coming to stay with me in the USA in order to take classes for about a year and a half.

I am looking towards setting this person up with a monthly plan but don't want to sign a 2 year contract. I had read somewhere that if you don't take a free or discounted phone from the carriers and instead use your own phone, you don't have to sign a contract and can simply get service month to month (as if you are finished your contract obligations)

This person is bringing an unlocked quad band Nokia N73 with them, so I was looking more into setting up service with AT&T or T-mobile depending upon which carrier offers this option as they are GSM.

I don't want to get locked into a 1 or 2 year contract because this person's stay will not exceed 1.5 years and could end in only 6 months and since I am signing up for the plan, I don't want to be stuck paying for a second line

I had heard AT&T does this but you have to be forceful in demanding the plan. At one time T-mobile did it also.

I would prefer to stay away from CDMA based carriers (Sprint and Verizon) and don't want to deal with Paygo type plans (that was a fiasco the last time) and the amount of minutes being used each month will justify a 450min or so plan

Thanks for all your help

Phones
    Moto G
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Moto G, Lumian 925
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    TelnaMobile
    Feedback Score
    My understanding is that if you refuse to let T-Mobile do a credit check they will default to a no-contract "Flex Pay" or something like that.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Dunno why you'd want him to stay away from CDMA. It's much better in my neck of the woods.

Verizon's Page Plus actually has all you can eat talk and text for only $40/mo -- no contract & you bring your own CDMA device. Pretty good deal if you ask me... but I need my data!!