Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How much does a Verizon sales rep make? $$

Feedback Score

How much does a Verizon sales rep make? $$

I got hooked up w an interview for a shot at being a sales rep.

couple questions..

1) what are they gonna ask me during the interview?
    2) how much does a full time sales rep make?
    3) what is the pay structure? hourly? commission based? drawer?
    4) is a drug test necessary?
    5) how easy is relocation?
    6) do they pay for school?
    7) how bout benefits?

feel free to add anything else

Phones
    Mot 270C
    Nokia 3390
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Congrats on the interview. I'll try to help... All this info pertains to the Philly region, they may handle things differently in other regions.

1. The interview is a reactionary one. They will ask you questions such as: Tell me about a time you dealt with an escalated customer, what was the situation, how did you resolve the issue, and what was the outcome? Say for example your working in a kiosk, the competitors are all around you and offering free phones with activation. How would you overcome that to close the sale?

2. I work in a high volume store in the 'burbs of Philly with 5 other sales rep's. Two of us are making over 70k/year with the average rep makeing about 50k. Also it isn't uncommon for rep's working in a kiosk to make 50-60k/year. If they place you in a kiosk then on Saturday and Sunday just hang out at the pizza place across the way and see how much business they have. If they have 2 or 3 reps and no customers to sell phones to then it probably isn't a good thing. You still may want to take the position though with hopes of transferring to a high volume store when a position opens up.

3. Hourly plus commission.

4. Yes, and they will also do a very extensive background check. Do not lie or fudge anything on your application, including employment dates, and salary. If you lie they will find out and you most likely will not get the position.

5. I don't think they pay moving expenses for sales rep's.

6. Yes, they do pay for you to go back to school. Not sure of the details though.

7. Benefits start day 1 of your hire date. They have regular PPO and HMO through Cigna (I took the PPO and for whatever reason it's cheaper then the HMO, not sure why), dental through Aetna, vision through another company (can't remember who), life insurance that is 2x your annual pay (not sure how they figure it out of you've worked for them less then a year and you die). I'm single with no kids and I pay $36/month for the benefits. They also offer an employee phone program, but you have to be employeed 2 months to get an employee account.

Good luck with the interview.
    Last edited by spridle; 06-23-2003 at 07:18 PM.

Feedback Score
    that sound great.

its not that i'm worried about the background check, but i DID get into a little trouble in college. all alcohol related. nothing to do with drugs. i was charged at a point with resisting, fleeing, and disorderly. all charges were subsequently dropped for community service. i'm just worried thats gonna have an impact on this job, but i was never charged with anything... i believe i WAS issued an ordinance violation one other time for disorderly, but thats the same equivalent as getting a ticket for ur dog crapping on the street, its not even a misdemeanor.

whats the drug test? pee test, blood, or hair?

should i even be optimistic towards this opportunity? its only my first interview and i dont know if they just interview everyone who applies or if they only interview who their good prospects are. i came with 5 years wireless sales experience.

Phone
    BlackBerry Tour
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    u seem to be paranoid about the drug test

hehe, just drink "something" that makes u pee a lot
    A ceux qui restent...Whether times good or bad, happy or sad.

Feedback Score
    Originally posted by Rafale
    u seem to be paranoid about the drug test

hehe, just drink "something" that makes u pee a lot
    LOL not really, i'll be straight if its a pee test

o yeah, should i wear a dress shirt and slacks, shirt and tie, or suit and tie for the interview?

Feedback Score
    now I use to work for radio shack selling mostly verizon phones and was was the top verizon seller with the title of voice of verzion. I had hope to apply to working for an actual verizon store. Now I did quit my job with RS (mostly fed up with my manager's poor desision making that numerious times jeperidized my sales, health and safety). I am on good terms with our verizon rep for our district... My question is will Verizon hire me even if I was working for one of there partners?

btw, I was making 5.25 an hour plus comission on phones. Now what is the base pay for VW reps anyways? if its gonna be 5.25 plus like 17-20 bucks (depending on the plan the customer gets) then forget it.

Phones
    Motorola V710
    SCH I-700
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Hello,

Spridle, is right about the income opportunity. Obviously it will adjust based on living costs and where you work. Bottom line, with the job market as crappy as it is, it's a wonderful opportunity.

My advice during your interview:

(1) Be politically correct. It sucks, VZW is paranoid of offending anybody. The five star interview process exemplifies it.

(2) Do some homework and seriously learn mobile data products. Emphasize your ability to sell text, express network, mobile web etc.

Data sales are currently a major issue inside VZW sales channels right now. If you do some homework and present yourself positively in that regard you will be golden.

Good Luck
    Last edited by SMP; 06-24-2003 at 02:50 AM.

Phones
    Mot 270C
    Nokia 3390
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by Noobie
    that sound great.

its not that i'm worried about the background check, but i DID get into a little trouble in college. all alcohol related. nothing to do with drugs. i was charged at a point with resisting, fleeing, and disorderly. all charges were subsequently dropped for community service. i'm just worried thats gonna have an impact on this job, but i was never charged with anything... i believe i WAS issued an ordinance violation one other time for disorderly, but thats the same equivalent as getting a ticket for ur dog crapping on the street, its not even a misdemeanor.

whats the drug test? pee test, blood, or hair?

should i even be optimistic towards this opportunity? its only my first interview and i dont know if they just interview everyone who applies or if they only interview who their good prospects are. i came with 5 years wireless sales experience.
    It's a pee test. Yes, you should feel optimistic about the interview. How were you contacted? Did you submit your resume and they called you? Was it HR, store manager, or the district manager? They tend to interview those that they feel are qualified based on their resume.

As far as the criminal background check, they are only looking for convictions. If you plead guilty to disorderly or fleeing then you will need to put that on your application. I can't imagine it disqualifing you from getting the job. They are looking for stuff like DUI's, weapon charges, child molestation, drugs, fraud, and theft. Also how long ago did these things happen? Everything is taken into consideration.

Wear a suit and tie to the interview. And as SMP said, be politically correct. And know the data products, have some knowledge of the CDMA technology, and if you want some brownie points with the interviewer know the "Worry Free Guarentee." Of course you just don't want to come out and say "I know the WFG." Casually mention the WFG when they ask you the question about the escalated customer and how it would apply to that situation.

The base pay is generally $10/hr. With about $15-30 commission per activation/renewal. In a high volume store it's not difficult to get 15-20 commissionable deals a day. Plus they have what is called multiplyers. Lets say your quota for the month is 200 deals. But you get 250 deals, your at 125% of quota. You will have a 1.25 multiplyer. So now your commission has gone from 15-30/deal to 18.75-37.50 per deal. In a lower volume store they have lower quotas so it's easier to hit multiplyer.

Good luck

Feedback Score
    Originally posted by spridle
    It's a pee test. Yes, you should feel optimistic about the interview. How were you contacted? Did you submit your resume and they called you? Was it HR, store manager, or the district manager? They tend to interview those that they feel are qualified based on their resume.

As far as the criminal background check, they are only looking for convictions. If you plead guilty to disorderly or fleeing then you will need to put that on your application. I can't imagine it disqualifing you from getting the job. They are looking for stuff like DUI's, weapon charges, child molestation, drugs, fraud, and theft. Also how long ago did these things happen? Everything is taken into consideration.
    Good luck
    thank you all for the great advice!

i was called by the store manager. i dropped of my resume in person as well as via the web for that particular store. i came from an indirect verizon dealer.

the fleeing was dropped, so there's no record. the disorderly was merely an city ordinance violation.

Carriers
    at&t mobility
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    sprindle.. what about a misdemeanor (assault with dealy force) (fighting) 3 yrs ago..

Feedback Score
    I think they'd probably be looking more for criminal records that may relate to your job such as stealing inventory from your job. If it was something like a citation for alcohol, they're not going to care about that, IMO.

Plus, even if you were arrested, that doesn't mean that they have just cause to not hire you. It's actually against the law for employers to do that. They can NOT hire you if you've been convicted of a crime, but not for simply getting arrested. Just some FYI for ya.

Good luck with the job, by the way.

Phone
    BlackBerry Storm 9530
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    if this helps...

new deal counts as 1 towards your quota, duh!

a upgrade with equipment or renewal of contract without equipment counts as 1 towards your quota also. the customer must be within 10 completed months in a 1 year contract, 22 completed months in a 2 year contract, or on month to month no contract status for it to count (just like a new)

for all the customers who don't meet the above criteria for an equipment upgrade, no dice, and the reps dont get paid a dime for them. for example, you signed a 2 year contract 9 months ago and want to upgrade your phone now. full retail price is usually the only option (unless you're billing out $49.99+ a monthly ARPU, you have got MORE than 13 months on a 2 year contract, good payment history, length with vzw, etc) an exception can be made.......................peace all
    J. RoadZ
    herbrock17@hotmail.com

DISCLAIMER: My posts on this forum is strictly my opinion. Furthermore, I DO NOT represent NOR speak on behalf of ANY wireless carrier.

Feedback Score
    sounds convincing. looks like i'm in the clear!

thanks again and wish me luck

Carriers
    at&t mobility
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by El Chino
    sprindle.. what about a misdemeanor (assault with dealy force) (fighting) 3 yrs ago..

what about this?

Phones
    Mot 270C
    Nokia 3390
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by El Chino
    what about this?
    I'm not sure about that one. It's a gray area and completly up to HR.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast