Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: is there a default PIN number when you sign up for prepaid ?

Phones
    i425 for tracking
    T-mobile phones for everyday use
    an old Nokia for Europe, soon to be a V3 Razr
    Carrier
    Boost mobile for the GPS+Opera
    Feedback Score

is there a default PIN number when you sign up for prepaid ?

Hi

I want to unlock a phone ,
    so I call 611 customer servce and after jumping thru all the hoops they say I need to know my pin number ,

Well I do not remember ever putting in a Pin number,

So is there a default one ?
    sometimes its the last 4 numbers of the phone number or 1234,

I tried changing it thru customer service but since I did not know the original pin, they wanted me to go to a Tmobile store with my ID !

Anyway thanks for your help, this phone had $$$$ put on it Sept 3rd so I need to do this to get my unlock,

Thanks
    VW
    Wanted: T-Mobile USA pay as you go sim that has gold rewards status ,
    could also use a prepaid Sim for Germany and Belgium to use in October 09, thanks

Phone
    LG 800G - LG 500G
    Carrier
    Tracfone - Net10
    Feedback Score
    The default PIN is the last four digits of your phone number.

It would be a good idea to change it. Otherwise, anyone can easily access your account.

Phones
    i425 for tracking
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    well the last 4 numbers did not work !

ohh well, I will see if my friend refilled lately and use his numbers !

VW
    \
    update, well my friend had no idea what his pin code is ,
    so thats not going to work, and it was not the last 4 digits......

Phones
    HTC MyTouch 3G
    HTC Diamond
    HTC TP2
    Carriers
    Sprint PCS
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I was once told that the default PIN is your birthday...

Feedback Score
    I would call and ask customer service what the default PIN code is.
    If you enter the PIN or PIN2 code incorrectly three times in succession, you are asked for the PUK or PUK2 code. If you do not have them, contact your local service provider.
    At T-Mobile forums the usual response is that it is 1234 or 0000. However I can't recall anyone ever reporting that either worked for them.

I don't recall being asked to set a PIN when I activated my first T-Mobile prepaid over the phone. IIRC I was required to supply one when when I activated my other phones on-line.

I couldn't find the answer in the printed documentation supplied with my phones.

Nokia 2760 PDF Manual
    Access codes
    The security code supplied with the phone protects your phone against unauthorized use. The preset code is 12345.
    The PIN code supplied with the SIM card, protects the card against unauthorized use.
    The PIN2 code supplied with some SIM cards, is required to access certain services.
    If you enter the PIN or PIN2 code incorrectly three times in succession, you are asked for the PUK or PUK2 code. If you do not have them, contact your local service provider.
    The module PIN is required to access the information in the security module of your SIM card.
    The signing PIN may be required for the digital signature.
    The barring password is required when using the call barring service.
    Nokia 3555 PDF Manual
    Access codes
    Security code
    The security code (5 to 10 digits) helps to protect your phone against unauthorized use. The preset code is 12345. To change the code, and to set the phone to request the code, see "Security," p. 66.
    PIN codes
    The personal identification number (PIN) code and the universal personal identification number (UPIN) code (4 to 8 digits) help to protect your SIM card against unauthorized use. See "Security," p. 66.
    The PIN2 code (4 to 8 digits) may be supplied with the SIM card and is required for some functions.
    The module PIN is required to access the information in the security module. See "Security module," p. 95.
    The signing PIN is required for the digital signature. See "Digital signature,"p. 96.
    PUK codes
    The personal unblocking key (PUK) code and the universal personal unblocking key (UPUK) code (8 digits) is required to change a blocked PIN code and UPIN code, respectively. The PUK2 code (8 digits) is required to change a blocked PIN2 code. If the codes are not supplied with the SIM card, contact your local
    service provider for the codes.
    Restriction password
    The restriction password (4 digits) is required when using the Call restrictions. See "Security," p. 66.

Security
    When security features that restrict calls are in use (such as call restriction, closed user group, and fixed dialing) calls still may be possible to the official emergency number programmed into your phone.
    Select Menu > Settings > Security and from the following options:
    PIN code request and UPIN code request — to set the phone to ask for your PIN or UPIN code every time the phone is switched on. Some SIM cards do not allow the code request to be turned off.
    PIN2 code request — to select whether the PIN2 code is required when using a specific phone feature which is protected by the PIN2 code. Some SIM cards do not allow the code request to be turned off.
    Call restrictions — to restrict incoming calls to and outgoing calls from your phone (network service). A restriction password is required.
    Fixed dialing — to restrict your outgoing calls to selected phone numbers if this function is supported by your SIM card. When the fixed dialing is on, GPRS connections are not possible except while sending text messages over a GPRS connection. In this case, the recipient’s phone number and the message center number must be included in the fixed dialing list.
    Closed user group — to specify a group of people whom you can call and who can call you (network service) Security level > Phone — to set the phone to ask for the security code whenever a new SIM card is inserted into the phone. If you select Memory, the phone asks for the security code when the SIM card memory is selected, and you want to change the memory in use.
    Access codes — to change the security code, PIN code, UPIN code, PIN2 code, or restriction password
    Code in use — to select whether the PIN code or UPIN code should be active Authority certificates or User certificates — to view the list of the authority or user certificates downloaded into your phone. See "Certificates," p. 96.
    Security module settings — to view Security module details, select Module PIN request, or change the module PIN and signing PIN. See also "Access codes," p. 28.

Digital signature
    You can make digital signatures with your phone if your SIM card has a security module. Using the digital signature can be the same as signing your name to a paper bill, contract, or other document.
    To make a digital signature, select a link on a page, for example, the title of the book you want to buy and its price. The text to sign, which may include the amount and date, is shown. Check that the header text is Read and that the digital signature icon is shown.
    If the digital signature icon does not appear, there is a security breach, and you should not enter any personal data such as your signing PIN.
    To sign the text, read all of the text first, and select Sign. The text may not fit within a single screen. Therefore, make sure to scroll through and read all of the text before signing.
    Select the user certificate you want to use. Enter the signing PIN. The digital signature icon disappears, and the service may display a confirmation of your purchase.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cobo

At T-Mobile forums the usual response is that it is 1234 or 0000. However I can't recall anyone ever reporting that either worked for them.
    Your information is in regards to a different PIN than the original poster was asked for. You're talking about the PIN for the actual device which can be used to protect it for security reasons.

What the OP was asked for was his prepaid account PIN. This does not have to be the same as the phone's PIN. In fact, you can change the phone's PIN at will and never notify T-Mobile.

T-Mobile is supposed to have a separate PIN number which is used to verify the customer as the correct owner of the account. I say supposed to, because some prepaid customers don't remember ever setting a prepaid account PIN up, yet T-Mobile still asks for it.

Feedback Score
    Found an answer doing a search at t-mobile.com

http://support.t-mobile.com/doc/tm20640.xml

What is a PIN?
    Your phone comes equipped with a special Personal Identification Number (PIN) to lock your phone against unauthorized use. The default PIN is 1234. You should create your own PIN when you activate your phone. See your Owner’s Manual for more details.

Your PIN can be disabled after you activate your service, but for security reasons we recommend that you keep it enabled. When enabled, you must type your PIN every time you turn on your phone. In the event that your phone is ever stolen, this will act as a safeguard against fraudulent use.

You have up to three attempts to type the correct PIN and unlock the phone. If you fail to type the correct PIN, you must contact Customer Care. Customer Care will give you a PIN Unlocking Key (PUK) code to unlock your phone and reset your PIN.
    NOTE: For information on what to do if asked for the PUK code, go to What Should I Do If My Phone Asks Me for a PUK Code?

tm20640

Phone
    LG 800G - LG 500G
    Carrier
    Tracfone - Net10
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cobo
    Found an answer doing a search at t-mobile.com

http://support.t-mobile.com/doc/tm20640.xml

What is a PIN?
    Your phone comes equipped with a special Personal Identification Number (PIN) to lock your phone against unauthorized use. The default PIN is 1234. You should create your own PIN when you activate your phone. See your Owner’s Manual for more details.

Your PIN can be disabled after you activate your service, but for security reasons we recommend that you keep it enabled. When enabled, you must type your PIN every time you turn on your phone. In the event that your phone is ever stolen, this will act as a safeguard against fraudulent use.

You have up to three attempts to type the correct PIN and unlock the phone. If you fail to type the correct PIN, you must contact Customer Care. Customer Care will give you a PIN Unlocking Key (PUK) code to unlock your phone and reset your PIN.
    NOTE: For information on what to do if asked for the PUK code, go to What Should I Do If My Phone Asks Me for a PUK Code?

tm20640
    That is a SIM PIN. The OP needs his account PIN, which is a totally different thing.

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I remember having this same problem after signing up for prepay and calling the next day was asked for my pin.

Try the year you were born in, last 4 digits of your social security, last 4 of your credit card. Forgot which one it was, but pretty sure it was one of those.

Phone
    LG 800G - LG 500G
    Carrier
    Tracfone - Net10
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trackVW
    well the last 4 numbers did not work !

ohh well, I will see if my friend refilled lately and use his numbers !

VW
    \
    update, well my friend had no idea what his pin code is ,
    so thats not going to work, and it was not the last 4 digits......
    trackVW -

Have a look at this thread: http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...ht=default+pin

Originally, account PINs were not needed for prepaid accounts, but that changed a couple of years ago.

Notice the email from T-Mobile CS in post #8. The default account PIN is the last four digits of your number.

Did you perhaps purchase a preactivated SIM from eBay or elsewhere and not receive the account PIN from the seller? If not, I'm not sure what else you can do. Have you contacted CS to see if there is anything else you can do to obtain or change the PIN?

Phones
    i425 for tracking
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Hi

right now I HATE Tmobile customer service , I have been on the phone probably 1 1/2 hours with this and other BS ,

just going around in circles,

both friends have no idea what their pins are , and both do not even think they have one !

Now the time has passed on one since he refilled Sept, 3rd,

I would like to know for later , but I am sure that there are others with the same problem,

And even now there is no way to activate a prepaid sim on Tmobiles website ,
    the phone number on the new sim is not the activate number,
    the number on the website for service is not the correct number for prepaid service , umm what else, the Tmobile robot cannot understand english so you have to say things 3 times , ohh it goes on and on....

if they are owned by German Telecom I pity the Germans having to deal with them .....

OK rant over ,

VW

Feedback Score
    I have activated a few t-mo prepaid accts in the last 2 years. All were over the phone and t-mo always asked to choose acct PIN. It's one of the information you need to fill out in the activation card along with imei and sim#. I don't know how you or your friends would miss that step. That's moot now.

If it is urgent to unlock the phone, go to ebay. It's usually less than $5.

To activate a new prepaid acct, just follow the instruction on activation kit and borrow someone's phone or go to the nearest public phone. It's a toll-free number.

Don't sweat the small stuff and ze zermans are gut with tmo!

Carriers
    AT&T,
    Feedback Score
    The PIN must have been setup when the sims were initially activated. If your friends do not know it, I am sorry to tell you that you are so out of luck. You cannot do anything via prepaid customer service if you do not know the PIN # associated with the prepaid account. If you bought it through ebay, the seller (at least the well informed ones) will always providee you with the PIN.

Phones
    Nokia 2610, 6030b, 2118, 2280, 3555b, 6215i
    Sony Ericsson K300i; Samsung SGH-t109
    Motorola V325
    Carriers
    T-Mobile USA; AT&T Mobility USA; Vodafone NZ; 2degrees NZ
    Feedback Score

idea

Quote Originally Posted by mrcamp
    The PIN must have been setup when the sims were initially activated. If your friends do not know it, I am sorry to tell you that you are so out of luck. You cannot do anything via prepaid customer service if you do not know the PIN # associated with the prepaid account. If you bought it through ebay, the seller (at least the well informed ones) will always providee you with the PIN.
    I did have a similar problem last year when a family member lost the card on which I wrote down the PIN number for a SIM and handset I activated for her. I had provided some of (my, I believe) personal details when activating it, so I was able to go to a T-Mobile company store and the manager there after seeing some random photograph ID (it may have had my birthday on it) told me the PIN (which by then was moot because I got him to reset it).

Perhaps if the person who activated it provided some personal details, maybe even just a birthday (for which they have matching ID), they might be able to do the same trick?

ngeru

Feedback Score
    The pin code is the last 4 digits of your phone number if you never changed it. This is a huge security hole with T-Mobile. Most people aren't even aware until they call CS for the first time. CS is also horrible. They are so nice and polite but are missing the most critical element; service. No one knows what they're doing there except a select few. Had to call 6 times just to get my SIM activated with To-Go

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast