Thread: Net10 phone bought from Amazon seller won't activate

Feedback Score

Net10 phone bought from Amazon seller won't activate

Back in August, I bought an unactivated Net10 phone (LG 300G) from a seller on Amazon.com. The price was low - with shipping, it was $10.50. The seller said that as far as he knew, the phone would give me 300 minutes when activated.

When I got it and turned it on, the screen said the usual thing - "Activate at Net10.com or call to activate." But it would not activate online, and I'm pretty sure I also tried customer service just to make sure. I don't remember exactly what they said any more, except that they would not activate it. Its serial number is different from any other LG 300G I've had - it starts with 011696 instead of 011426.

It has an AT&T SIM card (starts with 890141), which makes it more attractive than the T-Mobile one I'm currently using.

The seller never replied to any messages I sent after getting this phone, and before too long, Amazon responded to my claim by giving me a full refund without my having to return the phone.

My questions are:

1) Is it likely to have been stolen? (Shoplifted from a store, something like that?)

2) What should I do with it beyond using it for spare parts?

3) What's the deal with the serial number difference - is that significant in any way?

4) Could mentioning this phone to customer service or registering it online under my own name have been part of what triggered Net10 to kill a couple of other phones I set up, using so-called "free minutes" transferred from other phones legitimately bought?

Phones
    w370
    LG 200C
    Kyocera 126C
    Carriers
    Net10
    Feedback Score
    Registering the phone in an account would not cause any action on other phones you had.

If the system returns a message immediately after you enter the serial number that your request cannot be completed, that means the phone has been killed. If it says the serial number is not recognized by the system, that means it was not scanned at the retailer. That doesn't automatically mean the phone was not purchased legit.

It is possible that the phone is legit but a glitch somewhere caused the serial number to be missed for activation. I bought a phone and sent it to a customer and Trac would not activate it. They said it was not scanned at the store. I have the Walmart receipt with the phone's serial number on it showing the scan so I know it was.

Knowing exactly what message you receive when you try to activate would help some.
    There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.George Carlin

Feedback Score
    "Your transaction cannot be processed. For further assistance, please contact our Customer Care Center. We apologize for the inconvenience."

I used Internet Explorer 6 to do this.

I'm remembering more about this phone, too, but I don't think it changes anything. After I got it, I had actually sold it on eBay without trying to activate it, and the buyer couldn't activate it. I assume he was telling the truth from the details in our correspondence. I think he tried both online and by calling CS. He returned it to me for one I knew I had bought from Net10.com. While this makes me not quite 100% sure I had gotten it from the Amazon seller, it seems extremely likely, because of the serial number difference. The only unactivated phones I had on hand were either from Net10.com or the one from the Amazon seller.

Phones
    w370
    LG 200C
    Kyocera 126C
    Carriers
    Net10
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by EdGrey
    "Your transaction cannot be processed. For further assistance, please contact our Customer Care Center. We apologize for the inconvenience."

I used Internet Explorer 6 to do this.

I'm remembering more about this phone, too, but I don't think it changes anything. After I got it, I had actually sold it on eBay without trying to activate it, and the buyer couldn't activate it. I assume he was telling the truth from the details in our correspondence. I think he tried both online and by calling CS. He returned it to me for one I knew I had bought from Net10.com. While this makes me not quite 100% sure I had gotten it from the Amazon seller, it seems extremely likely, because of the serial number difference. The only unactivated phones I had on hand were either from Net10.com or the one from the Amazon seller.
    I buying thousands of the motorola c139s, serial number can range a lot depending on when the phone was mfg.

Your transaction cannot be processed. For further assistance, please contact our Customer Care Center. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Yep, that means the phone is killed. No way to know why. As Tracnet says "that is the phones obituary"

Feedback Score
    Could it be activated with a card and/or a new SIM? I suppose if that's possible, I'd have to call CS. If I did that, it would probably give their paranoid pointy heads another reason to think I was doing something shady. That's probably why the Amazon seller never bothered to reply - "better to say nothing and be suspected of being a pig than open your mouth and oink."

Phones
    w370
    LG 200C
    Kyocera 126C
    Carriers
    Net10
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by EdGrey
    Could it be activated with a card and/or a new SIM? I suppose if that's possible, I'd have to call CS. If I did that, it would probably give their paranoid pointy heads another reason to think I was doing something shady. That's probably why the Amazon seller never bothered to reply - "better to say nothing and be suspected of being a pig than open your mouth and oink."
    If the phone is killed in the system, you can't do anything with it without it being cleared by FP and that is not likely.