Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: would they charge me for the data package if I use AT&T plan on a smart phone

Feedback Score

would they charge me for the data package if I use AT&T plan on a smart phone

I've been using Nokia E61i which is a smart phone for a while. I just switched from T-Mobile to AT&T today, but I didn't sign up for the $30 data package, which is required in order to use AT&T on any smart phone (their new policy starting last month). So I'm supposed to use the stupid Nokia 2600 they gave me for free.

I just tried to insert the AT&T SIM card into E61i, tried to call someone and apparently it works.

So, my question is, if I continue using it on E61i (or any smart phone), would AT&T automatically adds the data package to my bill and charge me for it?

thanks!

Feedback Score
    AT&T doesn't know it is a smartphone because they don't have that IMEI listed.

Phones
    Nokia E71 unlocked
    Nokia N75
    Motorola V551, 720C, T270
    Carriers
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tpham1
    I've been using Nokia E61i which is a smart phone for a while. I just switched from T-Mobile to AT&T today, but I didn't sign up for the $30 data package,
    But did you sign up for any data plan at all with ATT? It appears to be true that if you BYO device, they don't have the IMEI, so they can't force the $30 data, but if you don't sign up for data at all, they're gonna bill you by the KB, which adds up real fast. So go to your OLAM and sign up for some kind of data, like the $15 unlimited, before you use it too much. They don't do prorate on features when you add them.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by momcat1
    But did you sign up for any data plan at all with ATT? It appears to be true that if you BYO device, they don't have the IMEI, so they can't force the $30 data, but if you don't sign up for data at all, they're gonna bill you by the KB, which adds up real fast. So go to your OLAM and sign up for some kind of data, like the $15 unlimited, before you use it too much. They don't do prorate on features when you add them.
    They prorate the price for a partial billing cycle. There is no effective prorating of the allowance for an unlimited plan.
    Earl F. Parrish

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by momcat1
    wow thanks man, but can you dump it down for a tech illiterate person to understand? like what's OLAM? what do you mean by "bill you by the KB"? what's KB?

actually i really don't know if i have any data plan, because i just joined my friend's family plan and he went to AT&T and did the whole signup for me. i have to check with him. Is there any way to check online btw?

thanks guys!

Phone
    After trying many phones, the one phone that is worthy of this spot is the 6620!!
    Feedback Score
    OLAM= online account manager, it allows you to manage you account online (like adding removing features or paying your bill).

KB= kilobyte a unit of measure for data, ie internet (think of it like you would for minutes).

Phones
    nokia N75
    nokia 6230
    nokia 2190
    Carrier
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    What these guys are saying is ATT does not block data (well a customer can request it) so if you do use data (like going online or checking email) you will be charged on a pay per use basis. That can add up really fast.
    So you used the E61i on T-mobile? Did you have a data plan with them? How have you been using the E61 on T-mobile? Do you wish to use it the same way on ATT?
    ATT data settings can be sent to your phone from the Nokia site.
    If you are now on a family talk plan with your friend, do they have "family text" ?
    This is an add on feature (costing $30. @ month) that covers unlimited texting for all lines on a family talk plan. Once that plan is in place, individual lines can get "family data" for $10. for each line.
    Many folks use "smartphones" (defined by ATT as anything with a full keyboard) that ATT does not sell with regular data plans. The trick is to make sure you sign up for them with the SIM in the dumb phone.

There is an entire section of this site devoted to Nokia S60 devices you may with to peruse.

Phone
    iPhone 4S 64GB Black - AT&T
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    To reiterate gdart said, if you use any data you will be charged for what you use. Don't think that because you're using it without at data plan you're getting it for free. It's quite the opposite. It's metered (pay per kilobyte) rates UNLESS you have an unlimited data plan. That can add up to $10's, $100's, and $1000's very quickly. If you want to use ANY data at all, get an unlimited data plan like the $10 (if $30 family messaging is on the account) otherwise it's $15. Otherwise, don't use any data at all or you'll pay through the nose for it.

You could change the data settings on your Nokia so that they are invalid to avoid using accidental data, if you want.
    If you request AT&T put a data block on your line, it will prevent you from using MMS (Multimedia messaging, aka picture messaging) which is not charged for data use but does need the data setting to be valid. But a data block is an option.
    Or just be careful to not use data.

Phones
    Blackberry Torch 9800
    Nokia X6 16GB
    Nokia N82
    Carrier
    Cingular/AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Just an FYI - AT&T's new PPU rates are based on $2 per MB (= 1000 KB), so data charges don't get out of hand quite as quickly. It does round up to the next MB as soon as you go over by 1 KB, so you definitely need to keep an eye on your usage (i.e., you get charged $2 for using just the first KB, and if you use 1.01 MB, you will get charged another $2, etc.)

This rate is for any new customers, but existing accounts need to contact customer service to change from the "per KB" PPU to the "per MB" PPU if they desire.

Feedback Score
    much appreciated everyone for the informative posts.

to answer gdart's question: we do have the $30 unlimited texting feature on our plan. Does that count as a sort of "family data plan"?

and what if I use my college's wi-fi network instead of AT&T's internet service to access internet and email? would that count as using "AT&T data"?

Phones
    Nokia E71 unlocked
    Nokia N75
    Motorola V551, 720C, T270
    Carriers
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Unlimited texting is for texting and is not a data plan. If that's the only add on feature you have, then your data (internet) is pay per use (KB).

I'm not certain about your E61, I have E71, but if it has wifi on it, then you could use that on any wifi hotspot you can connect to, and it does not count as ATT data. Just be sure you have the browser default to connect to a wifi access point and not to ATT internet, which is initially set as the default, well in your case it might have been T-Mo's data connection.

Carrier
    ATT Nation Family Talk 1400
    Feedback Score

Nope

No, it would not. That wifi is free of charge.

Quote Originally Posted by tpham1
    what if I use my college's wi-fi network instead of AT&T's internet service to access internet and email? would that count as using "AT&T data"?

Phones
    nokia N75
    nokia 6230
    nokia 2190
    Carrier
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    What having the family messaging plan (that covers all the phones) gets you is the ability to add unlimited data on a non pda device for $10. a month (instead of $15.00)
    The "family data" is $10 each line. Not all lines must have it. ATT only does sweeps to see if you are using the wrong data plan for phones that they sell. Therefore many here report no problems using the regular data on pda style phones ATT does not sell. This is very popular for those who have purchased unlocked, unbranded E71 Nokias. To be on the safe side, one adds the lower priced data plan while the SIM is in a non pda phone. As noted by others, if you do not wish to add any data plan, observe the precautions noted. Also, as noted, unless you set you device up with ATT data parameters, it probably won't connect anyway. And it also won't do mulit-media (photo) messaging.

Feedback Score
    all clear now. again, thanks guys for the information!

Phone
    iPhone 5S
    Feedback Score
    The "family data" is $10 each line. Not all lines must have it. ATT only does sweeps to see if you are using the wrong data plan for phones that they sell.
    Yes, been working fine on my unlocked blackberry 8820. Data for $10 month.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast