Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: AT&T 3G MicroCell , how about t-mobile ?

Carriers
    at&t
    Feedback Score

AT&T 3G MicroCell , how about t-mobile ?

AT&T now offers exciting service to extend 3G coverage via AT&T 3G MicroCell.
    T-mobile has UMA on Wi-Fi, AT&T 3G MicroCell connects to internet to extend AT&T 3G to cover your home or biz.
    I wish T-mobile should have t-mobile 3G band MicroCell
    See the link to AT&T
    http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/why/3gmicrocell/
    T-Mobile - the largest fake 4G network in Americas

HTC HD2 Speed on 3G/HSDPA

T-mobile 3G/H or Pharos 137

My broadband speed

My WM phone is the best GPS now, say good bye junk Andriod

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S Glide
    Samsung Galaxy Appeal
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
    Carrier
    AT&T Go Phone
    Feedback Score
    None of T-Mobile's 3G phones support UMA so they better come up with something.

That said, if you live in a concrete jungle getting a GPS signal can be harder than getting cellular signal. This is why I haven't bothered giving Sprint another chance and why I wouldn't spend money on a femtocell from T-Mobile, if it relies on GPS.

Feedback Score
    Why are they so concerned about the location of the device that they make you get a GPS lock on it during setup?

With UMA you can be in foreign countries making calls over the net and T-Mobile doesn't care.

Phones
    Droid Razr Maxx HD, Blackberry Z10
    Blackberry Z10
    Droid Razr Maxx HD
    Carriers
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000
    Why are they so concerned about the location of the device that they make you get a GPS lock on it during setup?

With UMA you can be in foreign countries making calls over the net and T-Mobile doesn't care.
    UMA=UNlicensed mobile access.

When you're using WiFi on a UMA phone its transmitting and receiving on totally different frequencies from the cellular network. That radio spectrum is a LOT less regulated, that's why you can buy a WiFi device anywhere and turn it on.

The microcell, however, is transmitting within the same blocks of frequencies used for the cellular network. It has to know *where* it is in order to comply with license terms. AT&T does not have the exact same blocks of frequencies allocated to it nationwide. It's not just a way to prevent the device from being used internationally.

Phones
    Moto G
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Moto G, Lumian 925
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    TelnaMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000
    GPS provides services other than position, time being one. CDMA devices have to be in time sync with the system to work properly.
    Donald Newcomb

Phones
    Nexus 4, Galaxy Nexus (GSM)
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    screw microcells. I just wish they would have UMA on their 3g phones. UMA = so much better than microcells.

^ TMO LTE ^---------------|------St Louis-------|----------------^ ATT LTE ^

Phone
    LG G3, Sony Xperia Z Ultra
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Simple Plan 4 lines (unlimited on one and 2.5GB sharing on another) $130 | 4.5GB MBB
    Feedback Score
    UMA saves customers from international roaming, it's a godsend for international business. A business firm can sign 600 lines, and 500 of them are UMA phones, then distribute them to overseas office, and make calls through wifi like in the States, then imagine how much is saved for the business firm.

Phones
    Moto G
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Moto G, Lumian 925
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    TelnaMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottish Skyedance
    UMA saves customers from international roaming, it's a godsend for international business. A business firm can sign 600 lines, and 500 of them are UMA phones, then distribute them to overseas office, and make calls through wifi like in the States, then imagine how much is saved for the business firm.
    Why is this any better, or cheaper, than having any other VOIP system?

Phones
    Nexus One
    RIM BB Curve 8900
    TMo Wing
    Feedback Score
    T-Mobile's UMA is MUCH better than those microcell from Sprint and AT&T. It operates on any wifi, so you're not limited to just those carrier's microcell. As mentioned, it's helpful for international trips. I remember making calls to home when I was in London and didn't have to incur any additional overseas charges. But even more helpful is when I visit various family and I get no signal sometimes, especially in basements. I always have access now since I'm allowed on their wifi network. No need to carry a microcell unit everywhere with me.

Carriers
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    UMA and Microcell are two different concepts.
    Microcell is to extend mobile coverage, you do not need special phone, just your original any at&t 3G phones, like At&t iPhone 3G, etc.
    UMA is GSM on Wi-Fi, you need GSM/UMA dual mode phone to connect unrestricted Wi-Fi signal. Wi-Fi is also battery killer, the battery life only 1/3 to 1/5 on Wi-Fi compares on GSM/3G network.
    Microcell is using licensed spectrum, so you need match the market to be able to activate it.
    Once it get activated, it is supposed to be able to use it at anywhere in the world when broadband wired Internet is available, the built-in GPS receiver is irrelevant, it is better not to connect the GPS antenna.
    Last edited by CoolPhone; 10-05-2009 at 01:01 PM.

Phones
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb
    Why is this any better, or cheaper, than having any other VOIP system?
    because other voip systems dont have cell network access.
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolPhone
    UMA and Microcell are two different concepts.
    Microcell is to extend mobile coverage, you do not need special phone, just your original any at&t 3G phones, like At&t iPhone 3G, etc.
    However, you need SPECIAL HARDWARE - ie a 3g microcell - which you have to pay extra for.
    UMA is GSM on Wi-Fi, you need GSM/UMA dual mode phone to connect unrestricted Wi-Fi signal.
    UMA is not GSM over WiFi. It's closer to SIP than GSM...
    Wi-Fi is also battery killer, the battery life only 1/3 to 1/5 on Wi-Fi compares on GSM/3G network.
    WiFi is no more a battery killer than W-CDMA.
    Microcell is using licensed spectrum, so you need match the market to be able to activate it.
    Once it get activated, it is supposed to be able to use it at anywhere in the world when broadband wired Internet is available, the built-in GPS receiver is irrelevant, it is better not to connect the GPS antenna.
    Theoretically, sure. But the real world won't allow that. sooooo....

Carriers
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by reuthermonkey

UMA is not GSM over WiFi. It's closer to SIP than GSM...

Noop!
    UMA is GSM codec/protocol on IPSec through Wi-Fi - internet connection.
    it is not closer to SIP... (it may be called VOIP as well ..)
    it is exactly GSM on Wi-Fi (internet).

WiFi is no more a battery killer than W-CDMA.
    W-CDMA is far better battery performance than Wi-Fi

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    It is rumored that the new 3G berry (Onyx, the 9700) WILL have UMA on T-Mobile.
    My feeling is that for a while, it was difficult to get 3G AND UMA onto the same device for technological reasons, but it seems possible now as the rumor is pretty solid.

For now, I'd take an EDGE phone with UMA capabilities then a 3G phone with a microcell. True, wifi is a battery killer but so is 3G! And it's not like you can turn 3G off when you don't need it and would rather save battery. Using UMA overseas and ANYWHERE is also a huge plus. and what you live in a bigger house and the microcell doesn't extend coverage as far as you'd like? If you were using UMA, it's no big deal. Just pick up a cheap router or get an extender.

Carriers
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    the internal GPS chip has to certify that you're within US borders before it'll work. Lame, but impossible to avoid.
    So the built-in GPS is purely to block you to use outside of US, so don't let it get GPS signal or let it get fake GPS signal, you may good to go.

UMA does not such limitation, it can use anywhere!

See MicroCell unboxing and impressions
    http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2009/0...d-impressions/

Phones
    Moto G
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Moto G, Lumian 925
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    TelnaMobile
    Feedback Score
    Yeah... But why would anyone want to international roam 24/7 except when on WiFi? Would it not make much more sense to have local cellular service with a VOIP backup, such as Truephone?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast