Page 59 of 66 FirstFirst ... 9 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 LastLast

Thread: anyone seen this "the datajack" service?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by c@t
    Anyway, I did go through the hassle of getting a Sprint phone on Boost because I couldn't wait any longer for DataJack to start selling their HSPA services again. If they still offered it, I would actually rather get their HSPA service since their modem is unlocked and I could use the SIM card on other devices. For first time Boost users, depending on how good your social engineering skills are (I'm pretty bad at it), it may be a big hassle or the easiest thing you've ever done. I hope Sprint somehow profits from it and let's it continue.
    Boost is Sprint, which helps. If it were a 3rd party provider like Datajack or Millenicom they could never profit, would lose money (they have to pay Sprint's wholesale per-minute rates.) But since you are dealing with Sprint directly it is part of a huge block of "warm bodies" they need to show a major uptick in subscriptions, an actual turnaround from their sub-losing quarters into positive territory again. Also, while Sprint no longer owns their own towers (they sold the rights to TowerCo) no doubt they worked out sweetheart deals to keep their costs for voice and data minimal.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shellybean
    Okay, so Datajack has clearly disappointed. I was soooo looking forward to the unlimited portion of their deal. So I wanted to clarify: is it true they will be charging big bucks for going over 5G?
    I don't know if I'm way off topic here, please correct me if I am, but I still need big advice: If Datajack is no longer unlimited, where can I turn? We were using Alltell with a Huwei modem on our desktop. We live out in the boonies, by the way. With gaming and watching Youtube, we need unlimited with lower ping than Hughesnet would allow. We tried tethering with Boost - my son said the reason we had high latency/ping with that was because I got a low end phone. I have no clue, but I've seen some of your posts, and ya'll seem pretty savvy. So, do you think Millenicom would work for me? Our sprint/boost phone works very very very very slowly and only part of the time and didn't work really at all for the computer. This is NOT for phone-type data staff. I'm trying to find some way of using an aircard/phone/modem type thing like we had with the alltell, but we definately need unlimited, preferably without a contract. Don't mind paying 50-60 dollars. Any ideas? Or should I try Datajack and hope they don't charge overages?
    Which phone did you use on Boost? If you used one of the Boost iDEN phones (like the i335) you can tether, yes, but your speed is excruciatingly slow, about 20kbs. You have to turn to Boost CDMA to get 3G speeds. The best phone to use is one with 3G Rev.A (like the HTC Mogul, HTC Diamond, HTC Touch Pro) because that will bring your download speeds to around 1600 kbps (peak at 2400.)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brandonnnpal816
    I just bought Millenicom today, I got the unlimted package thru Sprint, I have Sprint now so I will know it should work good, I get full bars in california. I will post speed test when I get it in the mail. Does anyone know if I would be getting it this week, they said that i should get it in five days?
    took me just 3 days after ordering it. And im in new Jersey.

Phones
    HTC Touch Diamond
    Pantech PN820
    HTC Touch (Vogue)
    Carriers
    Sprint Family Plan 1400 mins, 5 phones, free data |
    DataJack AWS 3G (T-Mobile)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tmotk
    I received my Mifi device and find at least in the first location I am testing so far, that it appears to be much faster than the old tmobile based data stick. The instructions that come with it worked, but are quite short and do not even say how to change the wifi password. The sheet says to see the DataJack website for online user guide, but they are not there. They also say there will be an equipment charge if the USB modem is not returned, but do not say how much. The Mifi is crippled in that it allows only one client at a time.

Would anyone know if the speed I see on the Datajack Mifi would be about the same speed as I would see with a Sprint phone on Boost? Anyway to get the Mifi unit itself to run on Boost?
    I received my MiFi today as well. Haven't had time to speed test it, but it seemed to be similar to speeds I get through my HTC Touch Diamond. I'll do some side by side speed comparisons later in the week when I have some time.

By the way, I was disappointed with the crippling as well and prefer using a USB stick with my Aluratek portable 3G router. However, it took all of 2 minutes to figure out how to gain full access to the MiFi and set it up the way I want it.

Phone
    LG G3, Sony Xperia Z Ultra
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Simple Plan 4 lines (unlimited on one and 2.5GB sharing on another) $130 | 4.5GB MBB
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (HTC Touch Pro 2: Opera/9.80 (Windows Mobile; WCE; Opera Mobi/WMD-50433; U; en) Presto/2.4.13 Version/10.00)

Quote Originally Posted by labens
    I received my Mifi device and find at least in the first location I am testing so far, that it appears to be much faster than the old tmobile based data stick. The instructions that come with it worked, but are quite short and do not even say how to change the wifi password. The sheet says to see the DataJack website for online user guide, but they are not there. They also say there will be an equipment charge if the USB modem is not returned, but do not say how much. The Mifi is crippled in that it allows only one client at a time.

Would anyone know if the speed I see on the Datajack Mifi would be about the same speed as I would see with a Sprint phone on Boost? Anyway to get the Mifi unit itself to run on Boost?
    I received my MiFi today as well. Haven't had time to speed test it, but it seemed to be similar to speeds I get through my HTC Touch Diamond. I'll do some side by side speed comparisons later in the week when I have some time.

By the way, I was disappointed with the crippling as well and prefer using a USB stick with my Aluratek portable 3G router. However, it took all of 2 minutes to figure out how to gain full access to the MiFi and set it up the way I want it.
    How did you do it? I want to change the security setting, and I need the application for wired tethering.

Phones
    HTC Touch Diamond
    Pantech PN820
    HTC Touch (Vogue)
    Carriers
    Feedback Score
    Reset info is contained in the guide at Sprint: http://support.sprint.com/global/pdf...reless_tsg.pdf (bottom of page 2).

Feedback Score
    T-Mobile Ditches Overage Charges For Many Laptop Users
    Instead will throttle back your speed should you exceed 5 GB a month...

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/T...p-Users-108097

Figures this would happen once DataJack drops T-mobile as the provider...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by labens
    Reset info is contained in the guide at Sprint: http://support.sprint.com/global/pdf...reless_tsg.pdf (bottom of page 2).
    If you reset it, what did you have to put back in to get it to connect through your Datajack account? Does this uncripple the device entirely and allow multiple connections? Also, the download link is no good, at least while on DataJack - Browser cannot connect to server (filtered?).

If I go to http://192.168.1.1/ without resetting it, there is a logon button to configure. Anyone know the password?

Phones
    HTC Touch Diamond
    Pantech PN820
    HTC Touch (Vogue)
    Carriers
    Feedback Score
    Not sure about filters. The link works fine for me from a FIOS connection.

Once reset, it's back to factory defaults...completely uncrippled. You have to connect to the device (you'll see it if you view available networks) and configure it. I don't recall if there was a password. If there was, it was admin. There will be a message about initial provisioning and that it is already provisioned. You'll be able to configure WPA/WPA2 security and have up to 5 connections. You can even enable GPS, though I did not try it.

I highly doubt this action will cause any inability to connect through the Sprint network. Having used Sprint phones for years and loaded new firmwares and OSes on them, it has never affected an already provisioned phone's ability to make calls / connect to the data network. By the way, provisioning is the association of your phone number to the device.

Phone
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Simple Plan 4 lines (unlimited on one and 2.5GB sharing on another) $130 | 4.5GB MBB
    Feedback Score
    This is good.
    After I did a "factory reset" (put a pin into the hole for 10 seconds), it works better now.

Feedback Score
    The complete MiFi documentation including user guide and not just troubleshooting guide can be found at http://support.sprint.com/support/de...s-novatel_2200

I have some questions though

1) I am curious if anyone knows the password DataJack would have used, if I want to view their settings before I reset the device?
    2) Anyone know of a way to get a MiFi to run on Boost instead of DataJack?
    3) Are people seeing the same speeds on Boost 3G tethering and DataJack?
    4) Why is there a GPS in a MiFi and what is it for? The config page says its disabled in the case of DataJack. Is it truly disabled, or does it send my exact location back to Sprint anyway?

Feedback Score
    I read 1300 kb/s for Datajack, which is a little less than I usually get with my HTC Diamond (typically 1500, spiking into 2400.) Some of it depends on where you are located, signal strength, distance to tower, though.

Phone
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (HTC Touch Pro 2: Opera/9.80 (Windows Mobile; WCE; Opera Mobi/WMD-50433; U; en) Presto/2.4.13 Version/10.00)

The complete MiFi documentation including user guide and not just troubleshooting guide can be found at http://support.sprint.com/support/de...s-novatel_2200

I have some questions though

1) I am curious if anyone knows the password DataJack would have used, if I want to view their settings before I reset the device?
    2) Anyone know of a way to get a MiFi to run on Boost instead of DataJack?
    4) Why is there a GPS in a MiFi and what is it for? The config page says its disabled in the case of DataJack. Is it truly disabled, or does it send my exact location back to Sprint anyway?
    The first and foremost condition to make the mifi work with Boost is to free up ESN; besides that, you have to find a way to do phone swap, which does no longer work on sprint.com.

Phones
    HTC Touch Diamond
    Pantech PN820
    HTC Touch (Vogue)
    Carriers
    Feedback Score

DataJack MiFi vs Sprint HTC Touch Diamond vs DataJack Option452

Here's some speed test results. Nothing much to distinguish any of the devices or providers.

Location 1:

DataJack MiFi

Sprint HTC Touch Diamond using Walking Hotspot

Latency Error - couldn't get EVDO connection

Location 2:

DataJack Mifi

Sprint HTC Touch Diamond using Walking Hotspot

Option 452 (T-Mobile) via Aluratek portable 3G router

Phones
    8830 BB
    V3m Verizon
    Carrier
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    So, how does someone purchase Datajack? It says out of stock on there website.

Page 59 of 66 FirstFirst ... 9 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 LastLast