Thread: Call Forwarding to avoid Virgin voicemail, HOW?

Feedback Score

Call Forwarding to avoid Virgin voicemail, HOW?

Been all over the manuals and Virgin site, cannot find any info about call forwarding.

I assume the cost is charged to my plan as regurlar minutes, (I use the good old Minute2Minute I'm grandfathered into, and I don't want to change this btw) and that the forwarding options have nothing to do with my phone either (K-10) and everything to do with the service itself.

BUT I cannot determine how to enable call forwarding, or if it will even work for my purpose.

I do not want to forward ALL calls to another phone number, only the ones that would otherwise end up at Virgin's voicemail prompt.

What I ultimately need is the call to goto a different voicemail service other than Virgin. I use both Vonage and Google Voice for varing phone numbers, and I use a simulring and sometimes forwarding features with one of these services. I have configured either service to time it just right and send the call for voicemail before Virgin answers with it's voicemail, but that does no good if my Virgin phone is OFF or outside the service area, and the call gets my Virgin voicemail instantly.

I tried having Virgin disconnect my voicemail service, which they did, but it still answers the call just as if I had voicemail, giving my callers a message that my mailbox isn't setup.

So I came across this standard info which works for other carriers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_forwarding but does it work with Virgin?

If not, does anyone know how I can forward only the calls that would otherwise hit my Virgin voicemail to a different phone number? If I can just get that functionality from Virgin, I'll worry about how that interacts with my other services later.

Thanks in advance!

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Knowing Virgin, I doubt it works.
    Rooted Samsung Galaxy S4 with Jelly Bean 4.2.2
    I charge forward recklessly, leaving chaos in my wake.
    Boycott phones that lack microSD storage and removable batteries! Do not allow the user experience to be diminished!
    @silverfang1977

Phones
    iPhone 5 16GB
    iPhone 5 32GB (wife)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    What you want is called "Call Forwarding Busy/No Answer", and VM doesn't support it.

Dave Markson's site, www.cellguru.net, will tell you which prepaid carriers support call forwarding:
    http://www.cellguru.net/prepaid_compare.htm

You'll then need to contact those carriers to see if their call forwarding has call forwarding busy/no answer as an option.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by quagmire
    What you want is called "Call Forwarding Busy/No Answer", and VM doesn't support it.
    Bummer, thanks.

It would actually be best for me to find a carrier that let the phone ring indefinitely, until the caller hangs up. I'm sure no one has this option

Phones
    Cricket CAPTR
    Blackberry 8700c
    Blackberry 8703e
    Carriers
    Cricket Paygo
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score

Carriers
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taterfury
    Bummer, thanks.

It would actually be best for me to find a carrier that let the phone ring indefinitely, until the caller hangs up. I'm sure no one has this option
    That would enable hackers to tie up network resources unilaterally and without a billable connection by calling numbers and letting them ring for a long time. As long as wireless is a finite resource, you won't get this option.

Phones
    Nokia_Lumia_925
    BlackBerry_9310
    Carrier
    AT&T_GoPhone, BoostM
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by qipengart
    Yes it will!!!

Feedback Score
    Yeah, except the entire reason I want this feature from Virgin is BECAUSE I use Google Voice (and also Vonage, for that matter)

Read my original post!

Carrier
    I <3 Verizon!
    Feedback Score
    Doesn't work with Virgin. It's even a pain in the but with Sprint. You have to call Sprint to every time you want to un-forward it. YOU may not care, but I like using Youmail sometimes, and the default others. With all other carriers, including Sprint's iDen half, you just enter a string of numbers to forward or un-forward.

Phones
    HTC Panache
    HTC Panache
    Carrier
    MOBILICITY
    Feedback Score

virgin call forwarding

Hello all,

I've gotten tired of paying for virgin voicemail and call display, so I cut them off and saved.

I have a magic jack phone with a local area code and I set my phone to forward to that number and voila' my messages go there for free (and magic jack messaging emails me when I have a message).

This is in Canada with Virgin, so I'm not sure if it applies to everyone.

andy

Carrier
    I <3 Verizon!
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by andy838 View Post
    Hello all,

I've gotten tired of paying for virgin voicemail and call display, so I cut them off and saved.

I have a magic jack phone with a local area code and I set my phone to forward to that number and voila' my messages go there for free (and magic jack messaging emails me when I have a message).

This is in Canada with Virgin, so I'm not sure if it applies to everyone.

andy
    No one pays for voicemail, or caller ID outside of Canada. It never ceases to amaze how badly you people let yourselves get raped.

Phones
    att , nokia 1100, moto 376g
    iPhone 4s-64 + many others
    Carriers
    att, trac, pageplus
    Feedback Score
    I use my google voice number to give out not my
    Vm number I had voice m disabled so it automatically goes
    To my Gv voice mail then transcribes it and emails and or txts
    To me. I rarely actually listen to v mail
    trying to come up with better signature.......

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I love Google Voice. However, it's one fatal flaw is that it does not support MMS.

Phone
    Moto Atrix4G
    Carrier
    StraightTalk (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyhaskins View Post
    I love Google Voice. However, it's one fatal flaw is that it does not support MMS.
    I have heard that MMS is in the works, but who knows if that will ever happen. If they added this then I would give out just my GV # for everyone. For now I just give it out to businesses and people who don't have mobiles, in case I ever end up having to switch cell #'s.