Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Net10 - transfer of "free" minutes not allowed, but transfer of "free" days OK

Feedback Score

Net10 - transfer of "free" minutes not allowed, but transfer of "free" days OK

While I was talking to Miami customer service about another problem, I asked about transferring service from one phone to another. I was told that as long as the original so-called "free minutes" are no longer on the phone, you can transfer the service with no problem to another Net10 phone. The rep said that it's all right to transfer any days ("free" or not) of service left as long as the "free" minutes have been used.

p.s. After talking to someone at my state attorney general's office in great detail about how and why they cut off my service for doing transfers between phones, he referred me to the FCC, saying that he was pretty sure that federal law applied, even though it's pretty much a consumer protection issue. Now I'm waiting for a return call from my congressman's office. If Net10/Tracfone are currently allowed to perform this kind of entrapment ripoff, then the time is ripe for corrective legislation. Knowing my congressman, I don't think he'll be tolerant of Net10's way of cutting off paid-for service.

To be continued...

Phones
    w370
    LG 200C
    Kyocera 126C
    Carriers
    Net10
    Feedback Score
    So, if the same applies to Trac, I can buy a $8 phone at Big Lots and burn the 20 minutes right away and then transfer the service days to another phone. $4 for 30 days isn't bad.

And just to note. I find it has something to do with the free minutes from one phone being combined with the free minutes from a new phone. I have successfully transfered and combined free minutes using an alternate method from the normal process.
    There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.George Carlin

Feedback Score
    So a transfer involving zero minutes but some service days is a valid transfer?

Phone
    Motorola V176, LG600g, LG3280
    Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme
    So a transfer involving zero minutes but some service days is a valid transfer?
    That's what that Service Rep says.
    But you talk to 6 other Service Reps and you will get 6 more stories.

Feedback Score
    It would be nice to get something in writing, including a confirmation that Tracfone has the same rules.

Feedback Score
    My daughter lost her little Trac that had over 400 units on it and a due date up to 2014. Even with perimeter codes, units would not transfer but the due date and number did phone to a new Trac. She's only 11 and still not texting/chatting a lot so Trac is still the best deal for her.

Feedback Score
    I just called Net10 to do a transfer from a phone with 0 minutes and about 40 days. They said I would need to add minutes from a card to do the transfer from a phone without minutes. I have a few phones with 0 minutes but plenty of days left, and I assume I'd need a card for each of the 0-minute phones. They would not let me do a transfer from a phone that had 7 original "free" minutes left.

I also found out later that unless I also use a card, I can't transfer minutes and days from one phone to another one that has days but no minutes left, or to one that has minutes but no days left.

Feedback Score
    Good information. Thanks.

Carrier
    PagePlus - No Dealer Required
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by EdGrey
    I just called Net10 to do a transfer from a phone with 0 minutes and about 40 days. They said I would need to add minutes from a card to do the transfer from a phone without minutes. I have a few phones with 0 minutes but plenty of days left, and I assume I'd need a card for each of the 0-minute phones. They would not let me do a transfer from a phone that had 7 original "free" minutes left.
    This has been noted here many times before. But thanks for re-verifying. The new thing appears to be that a front-line csr will now refuse to do a transfer of the free mins. It's about time.

I also found out later that unless I also use a card, I can't transfer minutes and days from one phone to another one that has days but no minutes left, or to one that has minutes but no days left.
    That is not entirely correct. Keep in mind that info from one or even more csr's is not always correct. Transferring to a fone that has zero mins but is active with service days is doable and has been done many many times. You can also transfer to a fone that has zero service days. All you are doing then is reactivating a currently inactive but previously activated fone. A csr may not agree to do so but it can be done online. And is totally acceptable. This is nothing new or groundbreaking.

Feedback Score
    I think we should all get together to write "Net10 for Dummies (and people with common sense who won't be able to believe how crazy they do things)," buy Net10 with the profits, and sell it to Page Plus.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tracnet
    A csr may not agree to do so but it can be done online. And is totally acceptable. This is nothing new or groundbreaking.
    That doesn't surprise me, but I'm trying to get it all straight, and get all the details in one place. (Though once we get them all in one place, they'll probably change. Again.)

To do it online, wouldn't I need a new SIM?

Phone
    LG VX5500 X2 (PPC) - LG800g (TF) - Nokia 6030 (T-Mo)
    Carriers
    Page Plus X2 (Verizon) - T-Mo2Go(GR) -
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tracnet
    The new thing appears to be that a front-line csr will now refuse to do a transfer of the free mins. It's about time.
    If true Trac/Net10 now appear to have admitted "guilt" in making those transfers before. You could argue "the minutes are there and were not free because they were transferred".

But who knows with that bunch of thieves.

Carrier
    PagePlus - No Dealer Required
    Feedback Score
    That doesn't surprise me, but I'm trying to get it all straight, and get all the details in one place. (Though once we get them all in one place, they'll probably change. Again.)
    You can find a wealth of info in one place. Here>>Jimates Tracfone/Net10 Info Pages (The mods on this forum should ask Jimates if they could make his info a sticky on this forum.)

To do it online, wouldn't I need a new SIM?
    Yes, normally for a gsm fone you would.

Feedback Score
    Today, a different customer service rep had no problem transferring days of service from a phone that had no minutes left, so there you are.

Phone
    Motorola V176, LG600g, LG3280
    Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Today, a different customer service rep had no problem transferring days of service from a phone that had no minutes left, so there you are.
    OK, but lets hope they don't kill the phone and steal back the minutes & service time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast