Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: T-mobile Tap (Huawei)

Phone
    Moto X
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

T-mobile Tap (Huawei)

I wonder how much this phone will cost since it's supposed to be a low end phone. It doesn't seem to have android or WM so I'm guessing it will not be considered a smartphone and you can use it with $9.99 web2go?

anyone have more info on this phone?

Thanks

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1 (not a phone :) )
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I'd guess they'd handle it like the Highlight. The store cards will say you need full internet or unlimited messaging for the rebate (or discount, @ Shack or Amazon), and the instore CSR's will assure you that it only will work with most expensive internet plan, but the reality will be that it will work with any of the internet plans (or at least the old 2.99, 4.99 and 5.99 tzones).

Phone
    Moto X
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    looks like you are right...it can be used with web2go. At least there are no required add-ons. I wonder if you can tether with this phone though. No one really has any experience with Huawei phones, right? It's coming Nov. 11. I'm guessing no one else is interested in a basic non-android touchscreen phone ;P

http://www.tmonews.com/2009/10/novem...fun/#more-6549

thanks

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cheaplikeafox
    ... I'm guessing no one else is interested in a basic non-android touchscreen phone ;P ...
    I don't know, I actually like my Highlight a lot. It does everything I need. I thought I'd miss multitasking, but on the 6650 I got from work, it's just a pain in the a**. AT&T keeps trying to dump me into PTT or streaming music or web services (all of which would be extra cost items that aren't covered under our work contract) so I have to keep checking to see what's active so i can shut them down. As for the other customization aspects, I guess I've got enough complexity in my life I don't need it in my phone.

And for non-techies like my wife - she absolutely loves it. She'd be way lost on anything like an Android phone. I think there will be a huge market for a simple to use touch screen phone for the 99% of users that we don't see on HOFO or TMONEWS.

Phone
    Moto X
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    the highlight seems nice but overpriced at $150...hopefully the tap will be less than $100.

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I upgraded in-store @ WalMart for $48.88. I think I heard they were selling it for $18.88 now. But yes, at $150 it is overpriced.

Phones
    LG Optimus T (my first smartphone)
    Other 4 lines: various random phones
    Carrier
    T-Mobile EM+ FTW
    Feedback Score
    According to the latest tmonews.com post, this phone will be released on 11/11/09. And it still says it will work with web2go. I don't need full Internet access, so the idea of paying $25 a month to view bus schedules didn't appeal to me. But it might be worth moving my 3 family lines to Even More Plus talk+text, getting a 20-month payout on a $200 unsubsidized phone, and paying $10 on my line (only) for "just enough" Internet.

I'd verify that this would actually work, but I can't get T-Mobile's site to work any more. I think the Catherine Zeta-Jones ads for the EM plans are bringing their servers to their knees. I know it's killing their support wait times (from other threads)!
    Don't bother calling. I melted my phone.

Phones
    Carrier
    T-Mobile EM+ FTW
    Feedback Score
    FWIW, here's tidbits from a support chat. I was checking to make sure I hadn't borked my unlimited messaging by browsing the EM+ plans, but I figured I could get a little more info:

RobertB: Everything's fine. I'm probably going to move to Even More Plus next week, if the T-Mobile Tap phone lives up to expectations.
    ~JT: Great rate plan.
    ~JT: Great looking phone also.
    RobertB: Do you know if the Tap will be available next week? I've seen rumors about 11/11.
    ~JT: Robert, the release date will be on November 11th and the upgrades start on the 11th also after 10:00 AM Pacific Time.
    RobertB: Good stuff. No problem if I repost the release date online, right?
    ~JT: Yes, it should show online.

I forgot to verify that I could get my bus schedules using the $10/mo dumbphone data plan. Also how much it costs (d'oh!), and whether I can use my own .mp3 files as ringtones. We'll just have to see what they say at the store next week.

Phone
    Moto X
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    guess it's going to cost $80...I wonder if you can tether with it.

Phones
    Carrier
    T-Mobile EM+ FTW
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cheaplikeafox
    guess it's going to cost $80...I wonder if you can tether with it.
    In other threads, they say that the $10 data plan is not eligible for tethering -- you have to get the $25 smartphone plan for that.

I'm trying to pull up the website to see what the non-subsidized EM+ price will be. If $80 is the with-contract price, then it *might* squeak by under my $200 cutoff without the contract. Otherwise, posters in the "which phone for me?" forum have pointed me toward the Sony Equinox and TM506, though last week's new Nokia 3711 looks like a winner if only because it has a standard headset jack.

Update: the site came up, and the details are in! Here's the link to the Midnight Blue version, and the Berry one. The great news: $179.99 without contract.

Also verified: I put it in the cart, and the Internet access option, "Unlimited Web", is the $10/mo dumbphone price. Also, it apparently supports "HotSpot" WiFi (for an additional $9.99).

I'm in! I just hope the price is still under $200 at the store.

Phone
    BlackBerry 10, Android,
    Carrier
    T-Mobile, AIO
    Feedback Score
    I played with one of those phones today and its really nice. It almost has a "Android" feel of the OS. The store would not sell me one @ 179. I HAD to buy the "extras" with it with a total of $200+. That was a freaking rip off. I will buy online if i have to.

I really hope you can tether with it.

Phones
    Carrier
    T-Mobile EM+ FTW
    Feedback Score
    What extras?

If they even *think* about telling me something like that, I'm outta there -- I don't *need* a new phone, I *want* a new phone.

Phones
    Google Nexus 5
    Google Nexus 4 (Wife)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertB
    In other threads, they say that the $10 data plan is not eligible for tethering -- you have to get the $25 smartphone plan for that.

I'm trying to pull up the website to see what the non-subsidized EM+ price will be. If $80 is the with-contract price, then it *might* squeak by under my $200 cutoff without the contract. Otherwise, posters in the "which phone for me?" forum have pointed me toward the Sony Equinox and TM506, though last week's new Nokia 3711 looks like a winner if only because it has a standard headset jack.

Update: the site came up, and the details are in! Here's the link to the Midnight Blue version, and the Berry one. The great news: $179.99 without contract.

Also verified: I put it in the cart, and the Internet access option, "Unlimited Web", is the $10/mo dumbphone price. Also, it apparently supports "HotSpot" WiFi (for an additional $9.99).

I'm in! I just hope the price is still under $200 at the store.
    Who said you can't tether with the $10 web2go data plan?
    Phone History: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 | HTC Sensation 4G | Google Nexus One | HTC HD2 | Nokia 5230 Nuron | Nokia N900 | BB Curve 8900 | iPhone 3G | Google Ion | Nokia 5800XM | Nokia E71-2 | T-Mobile G1 | iPhone 2G

My Feedbacks: eBay | Heatware | HoFo

Phones
    Carrier
    T-Mobile EM+ FTW
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bachviet
    Who said you can't tether with the $10 web2go data plan?
    Various folks in the main T-Mobile forum have said you can't... others, though, have said you can. So flip a coin.

However, it looks pretty certain that the $25 smartphone plan *does* include tethering, with confirmation from several T-Mobile reps (including chat transcripts). Take that, AT&T.

Phones
    Google Nexus 5
    Google Nexus 4 (Wife)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertB
    Various folks in the main T-Mobile forum have said you can't... others, though, have said you can. So flip a coin.

However, it looks pretty certain that the $25 smartphone plan *does* include tethering, with confirmation from several T-Mobile reps (including chat transcripts). Take that, AT&T.
    You can tether with the $9.99 web2go data plan as long as the phone is capable and/or not locked down by T-Mobile (see various Samsungs).

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast