Phones
    T-401G (2)
    LG-300G (2)
    LG-225G (2)
    Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score

Tracfone & Net10 Per Min/ Per Text

I understand it's .20 cent per minute on Tracfone and .30 cents for text both ways.

So it it twenty cents per minute for a call and thirty for text?
    I am only asking because Net10 I thought it was 5 cents I am seeing .50 cents today to send a text.

Feedback Score
    On Net10 it's .5 units* per text message. Since a unit almost always costs 10 cents, that comes to 5 cents/message.

On Tracfone the charge varies by model, but for all currently available models it's .3 units* per text message. Since the cost of a unit varies (what type of card, bonus codes, DMFL, etc.) so does the cost of a text message.

* units is generally equivalent to minutes.

Phones
    T-401G (2)
    LG-300G (2)
    LG-225G (2)
    Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by phone_bob
    On Net10 it's .5 units* per text message. Since a unit almost always costs 10 cents, that comes to 5 cents/message.

On Tracfone the charge varies by model, but for all currently available models it's .3 units* per text message. Since the cost of a unit varies (what type of card, bonus codes, DMFL, etc.) so does the cost of a text message.

* units is generally equivalent to minutes.
    Boy they need to fix that confusion. So then the LG225 has .3 cents per text for send and .3 cents to receive under Tracfone. Okay. On the LG300 plan it cost more then .5 cents to send and .5 cents to receive under Net10.

Thanks for the clearing up that for me.. I guess I can text more now!

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tipstir
    Boy they need to fix that confusion. So then the LG225 has .3 cents per text for send and .3 cents to receive under Tracfone. Okay. On the LG300 plan it cost more then .5 cents to send and .5 cents to receive under Net10.

With Tracfone its 1/3 of a minute per text That`s 1/3 of whatever you paid for the minutes you are using at that time, so the actual cost per text can vary after each refill.

Net10 is 1/2 minute per text. Again what you pay for the minutes can vary.

Some long text are counted as two text so more time will be deducted.

Compare your minute balance before and after a text to see exactly how much is being deducted.

Carrier
    PagePlus - No Dealer Required
    Feedback Score

I just gotta ask; You have been with trac since 1998 and you are just now sorting this out?

Phones
    Samsung T201G
    Motorola W376
    BlackBerry 8703e
    Carriers
    AT&T (Tracfone / Net10)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tracnet
    I just gotta ask; You have been with trac since 1998 and you are just now sorting this out?
    Maybe he just started texting.

On another note, in 1998-1999 Tracfone charged four units to roam instead of one or two! I can remember my sister in law paying almost a dollar a minute to call me on a Tracfone back then. Also, in 1997 JcPenney was charging $30 for a 30 minute card (I have a catalog somewhere). Times sure have changed!

Phones
    T-401G (2)
    LG-300G (2)
    LG-225G (2)
    Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tracnet
    I had the old Nokia 1600 but back then there was no text just cell phone calling and it was darn expensive back then. Plus the battery would die quickly. I had 4 of these phones as they were dirt cheap back then. After that the wife and I and had tried AT&T with Eicson flip flop phones awful on the battery then got beefed up to Nokia again. From that service Nextel and finally Sprint PCS. Still I decided to go back to Tracfone. I really don't use the phone as much only when I do carry it. Double the minutes feature is great. 60 minute card double to 120 add 60 promo cord 180 minutes for only $19. I usually spend more on $39 on 200 minutes so that would be 500 minutes. Again I don't text but seems easier on the LG225 then on LG300 from Net10.

The unit pricing is confusing but now I see it's only 3 cents per RX/TX.

Phones
    T-401G (2)
    LG-300G (2)
    LG-225G (2)
    Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mharris127
    Maybe he just started texting.

On another note, in 1998-1999 Tracfone charged four units to roam instead of one or two! I can remember my sister in law paying almost a dollar a minute to call me on a Tracfone back then. Also, in 1997 JcPenney was charging $30 for a 30 minute card (I have a catalog somewhere). Times sure have changed!
    Your right on the dime!

Feedback Score
    It doesn't hurt to have the fave five fones that give you free incoming sms. Nokia 1100, 2600, 3390,
    Motorola V170, C155
    Rate: 0.3 to send, FREE to receive. (Thanks to Jimate's site)

Phones
    HTC xv6800
    Moto w220g (retired)
    Carrier
    pageplus (totally rocks)
    Feedback Score
    I currently have tracfone but i text a lot so it is kinda expensive. Anybody have any better suggestions for under $10 per month?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonking
    I currently have tracfone but i text a lot so it is kinda expensive. Anybody have any better suggestions for under $10 per month?
    How much do you text?

The cheapest option on tracfone is to get one of the 5 phones mentioned above with free incoming text (not very fancy ones, but cheap). Try to find an unused one (refurb is OK), so you won't need an airtime card to activate it. You may be able to find a V170 at BigLots; I've seen Nokia 1100s at a Family Dollar for $10 recently. Activate it and put DMFL on it - don't forget to use a bonus code with the DMFL card.

After that, the best reliably available deal is probably the Value Plan (it's $10 plus tax - assuming that meets your requirement). That gives you 333 outgoing texts a month, plus unlimited incoming. Other combinations of airtime cards will give similar deals - perhaps a little better with bonus codes, sales, etc.

Phone
    LG Extravert
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Which is the best value: Tracfone or Net 10?

Carrier
    Feedback Score
    How about PagePlus on a standard plan with the 2000 text $11 per month option. Works out to less than 15 bux a month. OR the PagePlus standard plan with the unlimited text option for less than 25 bux a month. The standard plan keeps the phone active for 4 months for 10 bux. Granted it only includes 83 mins but if we are talking TEXT ONLY it seems to be a better option than trac or net10. Oh yeah.......and you can bring your own phone (cdma)!
    These choices can actually be had for even less if you get your refills from the right online retailer.

Phones
    T-401G (2)
    LG-300G (2)
    LG-225G (2)
    Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Well don't know how much you all type of the cell phone to sends message out and received them back but 3 cents is much better than .50 cents or $1.00. Unlimited you still end up paying hundreds at the end of the year. These plans that are going on good for one person. If you have a family and everyone wanted a phone it would be very costly for you! So best to get some family rate deal. As for text how much does the average person text back and forth. I have family who can't text until after 9pm because it's free for them then you got to call them as it's free for them to receive calls. The can't take calls during the day has it cost them if they did. Crazy how you got to live by the cell but you can't really use it because of all they extra cost you got to pay to use it!

Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Well don't know how much you all type of the cell phone to sends message out and received them back but 3 cents is much better than .50 cents or $1.00. Unlimited you still end up paying hundreds at the end of the year. These plans that are going on good for one person. If you have a family and everyone wanted a phone it would be very costly for you! So best to get some family rate deal. As for text how much does the average person text back and forth. I have family who can't text until after 9pm because it's free for them then you got to call them as it's free for them to receive calls. The can't take calls during the day has it cost them if they did. Crazy how you got to live by the cell but you can't really use it because of all they extra cost you got to pay to use it!
    Huh? Paying 3 cents is of course much better than paying $1.00....But I'd rather pay the .50 cents that you speak of any day! Either I'm misunderstanding what you are trying to say or you haven't a clue that PagePlus is Prepaid. Unlimited texts on PP is exactly that - UNLIMITED. No extra charges. It seems that you may be confusing PP with a postpaid contract plan...no? You need to weigh all the prepaid options out there. One size does not fit all. Heavy text users who use very little talk minutes will undoubtedly save by going with an unlimited text plan on PagePlus or the 2000 text plan. Please re-explain to me your point.

If all I do is text (in and out?) I can send and receive a total of 2000 texts a month for less than 15 bux on PP (I could also talk about 20 mins, but we're talking texts here) by using the 2000 text plan. No extra charges. That is .6 cent per text, yes I do mean 6/10 of a cent per text! I could send or receive 5 texts to your one.
    Last edited by tracnet; 10-15-2009 at 10:15 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast