Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SIM card for prepaid on HSPA?

Phone
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier
    Wind
    Feedback Score

SIM card for prepaid on HSPA?

I helped a friend activate her prepaid phone today, and there were two options - ESN and SIM#. Does that mean with the HSPA network launched I could get prepaid service attached to a SIM card and use it here?
    The word 'Pentaband' means '5 Bands', from the Greek word 'pente' meaning '5'. For a phone to be pentaband it has to support 5 bands. If the phone has AWS support, it doesn't automatically mean that it is pentaband.

Don't send me PMs for questions that can be asked publicly.

Phones
    Active: iPhone 4S (Telus), HTC Touch (Bell), BlackBerry Z10 (Rogers), Sony Xperia U (Fido)
    Retired: HTC Status, Desire HD, Diamond, P4000 / Moto Charm, W385, V2267/ BB 8520, 8220, 8310
    iPhone 3GS/ Nokia E71/ LG 8100, 520 / Audiovox 8900 / Sony Ericsson T206
    Carrier
    Telus, Bell, Rogers, Fido
    Feedback Score
    I would assume so if the option for a SIM card is already there.
    Five years on HowardsForums

Feedback Score
    Would prepaid users be relegated to the now declining CDMA network only?

Phone
    Blackberry Tour (9630)
    Carrier
    TELUS
    Feedback Score
    Once the network is fully rolled out, and HSPA devices are available in post-paid and pre-paid, you will have your choice of going on whatever network you want.
    Keep in mind, CDMA devices will be on the that network only, TELUS has no plans to remove this network as of yet.
    So technically, if you have a unlocked gsm phone, you could put a TELUS sim in it, and it should work no problem, pre-paid or post-paid.

Carriers
    Fido (Snoopy's Dog House)
    Feedback Score
    Yeah but the problem is you forgot one little IMPORTANT TIDBIT. if the phone is unlocked GSM only, it will get no service, if its a 3G (UMTS) phone then it will get service on Bellus. there IS a difference between the two.
    My Feedback
    I put the "Ho" back in "HOFO"

Carriers
    WIND Mobile
    PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Paolo
    Yeah but the problem is you forgot one little IMPORTANT TIDBIT. if the phone is unlocked GSM only, it will get no service, if its a 3G (UMTS) phone then it will get service on Bellus. there IS a difference between the two.
    Yea, you and I know, but tell that to the member who argued with me non stop claiming that GSM = UMTS / HSPA :-) . No wonder the disinformation is still going around.
    No longer on a leash by Fido

Phones
    N900
    N75
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    you should see the 4g discussion in the rogers forum (hint: there's no such thing as 4g. it's a marketing lie)

prepaid does sound like an easy way to 'trial' telus's new network though... good to know that it's going to be there

Feedback Score
    I have a few quick questions regarding Prepaid on HSPA network.

1. Is the prepaid kit the same for CDMA and HSPA? I am assuming it is the same, but I need some confirmation.
    2. If I activate online I see there is a 10$ activation fee. Is that taken out of the 50$ prepaid kit (meaning I will have 40$ after activation)?
    3. If I activate first an old CDMA phone, after a month or so can I switch to HSPA (after buying a SIM) and keep the same number? Do I have to pay the 10$ activation fee again?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by claudiu_corbea
    I have a few quick questions regarding Prepaid on HSPA network.

1. Is the prepaid kit the same for CDMA and HSPA? I am assuming it is the same, but I need some confirmation.
    2. If I activate online I see there is a 10$ activation fee. Is that taken out of the 50$ prepaid kit (meaning I will have 40$ after activation)?
    3. If I activate first an old CDMA phone, after a month or so can I switch to HSPA (after buying a SIM) and keep the same number? Do I have to pay the 10$ activation fee again?
    1. The prepaid kit is the same. You enter the SIM number and the 12 digit code you scratch off the prepaid starter kit during the activation process and you're golden.

2. If you activate yourself online it's free.

3. You'd pay $10 for the swap from CDMA to HSPA if you do it yourself online, or $25 if you call into client care. It's just Telus' standard Equipment Exchange Fee. Then pop the SIM into an HSPA handset and away you go.

Just make sure it is an HSPA handset and not GSM, as mentioned above.

Feedback Score
    Thanks. One more thing I forgot to ask: How can you check your remaining credit, can you just check online by logging in your account. How often is it updated and does it have detailed call history?

Feedback Score
    Prepaid account balances are realtime on the website or by calling #123 and entering your PIN.

You can also see realtime activity for calls, text, mms and web browsing. It is detailed, it tells you the numbers you called and who called you. It doesn't give numbers who you text though.

It's a pretty good system they have for prepaid. Now if only they had prepaid data plans... lol

Phone
    Current: SE Naite (Fido), iPhone 4 (Koodo)
    Carrier
    Koodo and Fido
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If I have a prepaid kit from about 5 years ago, can I use that to activate a HSPA prepaid line as long as I buy the SIM card for $10?
    Hi.

Carriers
    WIND Mobile
    PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    True, I am tempted to test the network out but still the cost is either:

$10. swap fee + $10. SIM cost = $20. on my existing prepaid account.

or get a prepaid kit (either from a prepaid phone or just buy a kit), and then w/ new activation still,

$10. SIM cost.

And no data plan (guess they haven't figured out how to filter data access, so it'll be a while) and not really worth swapping out for me right now. (the thing is that if it doesn't go well, it'll cost me another $10. to switch back to my existing CDMA phone, thus the cost adds up quick!!).

Phones
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 5S
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Surrea|
    (hint: there's no such thing as 4g. it's a marketing lie)
    Ever hear of WiMAX? Or LTE? They both exist. Admitted, Rogers have neither, but they are both real.

Phone
    Iphone 5 iphone 4s Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier
    ROGERS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Massonite
    1. The prepaid kit is the same. You enter the SIM number and the 12 digit code you scratch off the prepaid starter kit during the activation process and you're golden.

2. If you activate yourself online it's free.

3. You'd pay $10 for the swap from CDMA to HSPA if you do it yourself online, or $25 if you call into client care. It's just Telus' standard Equipment Exchange Fee. Then pop the SIM into an HSPA handset and away you go.

Just make sure it is an HSPA handset and not GSM, as mentioned above.

yes i can confirm that there's no fee if you activate it online...i did it yesterday and everything went well.. i got myself a lg xenon (Rogers) unlocked it put the telus sim in and its working great!! its feel weird now when i look at my rogers phone saying telus!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast