Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Don't remove your battery or let the battery drain completely

Device(s)
    N1 & G2 next up=Samsung Tab
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Don't remove your battery or let the battery drain completely

Sidekick customers, during this service disruption, please DO NOT remove your battery, reset your Sidekick, or allow it to lose power.

Updated: 10/10/2009 12:35 PM PDT

T-MOBILE AND MICROSOFT/DANGER STATUS UPDATE ON SIDEKICK DATA DISRUPTION

Dear valued T-Mobile Sidekick customers:

T-Mobile and the Sidekick data services provider, Danger, a subsidiary of Microsoft, are reaching out to express our apologies regarding the recent Sidekick data service disruption.

We appreciate your patience as Microsoft/Danger continues to work on maintaining platform stability, and restoring all services for our Sidekick customers.

Regrettably, based on Microsoft/Danger's latest recovery assessment of their systems, we must now inform you that personal information stored on your device - such as contacts, calendar entries, to-do lists or photos - that is no longer on your Sidekick almost certainly has been lost as a result of a server failure at Microsoft/Danger. That said, our teams continue to work around-the-clock in hopes of discovering some way to recover this information. However, the likelihood of a successful outcome is extremely low. As such, we wanted to share this news with you and offer some tips and suggestions to help you rebuild your personal content. You can find these tips in our Sidekick Contacts FAQ. We encourage you to visit the Forums on a regular basis to access the latest updates as well as FAQs regarding this service disruption.

In addition, we plan to communicate with you on Monday (Oct. 12) the status of the remaining issues caused by the service disruption, including the data recovery efforts and the Download Catalog restoration which we are continuing to resolve. We also will communicate any additional tips or suggestions that may help in restoring your content.

We recognize the magnitude of this inconvenience. Our primary efforts have been focused on restoring our customers' personal content. We also are considering additional measures for those of you who have lost your content to help reinforce how valuable you are as a T-Mobile customer.

We continue to advise customers to NOT reset their device by removing the battery or letting their battery drain completely, as any personal content that currently resides on your device will be lost.

Once again, T-Mobile and Microsoft/Danger regret any and all inconvenience this matter has caused.
    Unplugged Since 1999

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S2 (T-Mobile)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Wow, that is huge.

Device(s)
    Moment
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    What little I know about data centers is mostly that there are backups upon backups upon tape backups. What the hell could have caused them to lose all data? Even the data that was physically out of the system? Were they slow to respond and therefore let everything get slowly overwritten? I sure hope that they come out with a real technical response so we all can understand how data can just disappear from the cloud.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LTApaulie
    What little I know about data centers is mostly that there are backups upon backups upon tape backups. What the hell could have caused them to lose all data? Even the data that was physically out of the system? Were they slow to respond and therefore let everything get slowly overwritten? I sure hope that they come out with a real technical response so we all can understand how data can just disappear from the cloud.
    They ignored the "update antivirus" requests from Norton.

Another rock MacFanBoys can use to bash Microsoft with.

Device(s)
    LG V20 and LG G Pad X 8.0
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile One Plan 6+1 lines
    Feedback Score
    Danger runs on system totally separated from T-Mobile, then it's only Danger to take a blame.

Optimum/Cablevision

Device(s)
    SE w810i white
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Looks like they had nothing backed up which is stupid consider that SK data is only remotely stored and not locoally on the phone

Device(s)
    Moment
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottish Skyedance
    Danger runs on system totally separated from T-Mobile, then it's only Danger to take a blame.
    This will not matter to most users. T-Mobile should be verifying that these systems are stable enough to represent their brand. Ultimately it will be T-Mobile that suffers for this, not Microsoft so the ultimate responsibility lies with them. Just like if a car used a subcontracted part that failed...no one would care where the part was made, they would blame the company that sold it to them.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8+ and Gear S3 Frontier
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

This has given T-Mobile a black eye because in the eyes of the customers it's "their fault."

If I were T-Mobile, I'd go after Danger to recoup damages as a result of any monetary expense they incurr to repair their image with the customer.

I think T-Mobile will make good and allow users a free upgrade to a new Smartphone or something of similar value to "reinforce their value," as a customer.

This is an expensive but necessary expense to keep the customers from defecting or suing... They'll probably sue anyways. Lawyers are probably standing by as we speak.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Whomever is at fault, TMO will certainly have a black eye over this snafu. Of course the lawyers will name all parties and several john does in the class action suit. They'll get millions and SK users will get a $50 coupon towards the purchase of another TMO phone.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    IMO, I think majority of the Sidekick customers, don't even know that Danger is the one handling the servers. But, its T-Mobile that sells it, and it can hurt their sidekick customer base.

I see people with sidekicks in NYC, walking around like nothing is going on. Maybe its not affecting everyone?

Device(s)
    3GS iPhone. Gone: 2G iPhone; 3G iPhone; Curve (2X); Dash (2X);
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile and ATT (dialtone)
    Feedback Score
    @danny.boi -

I agree. I think a free upgrade to a Blackberry or Android, plus some months of free service, would actually make T-Mobile look good to customers while they're busily pursuing the inevitable lawsuit against Danger.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    T-Mobile will have to give those x.x million sidekick customers a reason to stay with them. A month of free data service won't cut it. They have to do better than that. Imagine if T-Mobile's data was lost by x-name company, they would sue.

This accident will cause T-Mobile/Microsoft/Danger to think twice. They are losing so much money right now, by having to credit customers back, plus, they have halted their Sidekick sales indefinitely.

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Sidekick only has very small market!
    dead is dead , who cares.
    i was only surprised Microsoft purchased such stupid biz to involve in.
    Danger is very dangerous

Quote Originally Posted by terryjohnson16
    T-Mobile will have to give those x.x million sidekick customers a reason to stay with them.
    I don't think T-mobile has x.x million sidekick customers
    Last edited by CoolPhone; 10-11-2009 at 09:48 PM.
    T-Mobile - the largest fake 4G network in Americas

HTC HD2 Speed on 3G/HSDPA

T-mobile 3G/H or Pharos 137

My broadband speed

My WM phone is the best GPS now, say good bye junk Andriod

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolPhone
    I don't think T-mobile has x.x million sidekick customers
    Sure they do...

About 0.8 million of 'em.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless (postpaid),
    Feedback Score
    I read that T-Mobile is offering one month of free data service for all customers that were affected. I'm thinking that customers that just lost all their data will look at that offer and tell T-Mobile to shove it. T-Mobile (and Microsoft), doesn't seem to be aware that many customers' lost data may be extremely important to the user. Business contacts, employment contacts, appointments, financial data, images, etc., could all be lost. The Sidekick isn't all fun and games.

The paradox of all this is that this is all brought to you by Microsoft. The same company that has written some of the most complicated data and software backup routines known to mankind, and then preaches to all their customers that they need to buy it and use it. Then they don't even practice what they preach. Maybe their software is too complicated for them to even use.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast