Device(s)
    Nokia 5310 w/Jabra BT250V handsfree, Nokia 6010, Nokia 6030
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US, Fido, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    Feedback Score

The first smart phone is dead

Microsoft kills the Sidekick

Posted on Oct 11, 2009 7:21 pm by Seth Weintraub, Computerworld

There is no official word on the death of the Sidekick from Microsoft or T-mobile, but it certainly looks bleak for the iconic device.

his week, Microsoft announced that they had lost all Sidekick user data including pictures, contacts, calendars and other information from the Danger’s servers. Since the devices sync with the servers, the devices also lost the data. The Sidekick data services had amazingly been out over a week.

From what they say, after a week of investigation, there is no way to retrieve the user data. Customers will have to start over. The word on the street is that it was a Hitachi SAN upgrade failure.

But customers will be happy to know that T-Mobile is offering a free month of data (not a free month of service, just the $20 unlimited data plan) for all of their information. I really hope a lot of Sidekick users used the Intellisync software that pushes data to the desktop and would have backed their data up.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1432...?lsrc=rss_main
    Moderator yahoogroups forum T-Mobile-US http://groups.yahoo.com/group/T-Mobile-US

Device(s)
    LG V20 and LG G Pad X 8.0
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile One Plan 6+1 lines
    Feedback Score
    what MS service will be next?
    Hotmail?????
    Luckily I use Outlook to check Hotmail.

Optimum/Cablevision

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    I believe phone is not dead.
    Only the data stored in the server got lost.
    Phone is still able to make calls.
    This kind "Smartphone" actually is the stupidest phone.
    Data store in servers!
    T-Mobile - the largest fake 4G network in Americas

HTC HD2 Speed on 3G/HSDPA

T-mobile 3G/H or Pharos 137

My broadband speed

My WM phone is the best GPS now, say good bye junk Andriod

Device(s)
    N1 & G2 next up=Samsung Tab
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Is the sidekick dead?

Read 'em and weep. I imagine that only SKfanboys will linger.

From: http://www.hiptop3.com/archives/what...-sidekick-fail

What Caused the Sidekick Fail?

By now the word is out on the street. Microsoft/Danger has most likely lost everyone’s personal info including contacts, notes, calendar entries, to-dos, etc. The question remains: How did this happen? Microsoft is a big software company, they’re well versed in the enterprise world and should have systems in place that allow them to weather any sort of issue like this. Of course everyone (T-Mobile, Microsoft/Danger) hasn’t come out with any details on the cause of the failure, but we’ve got some theories and rumors floating around.

Currently the rumor with the most weight is as follows:
    Microsoft was upgrading their SAN (Storage Area Network aka the thing that stores all your data) and had hired Hitachi to come in and do it for them. Typically in an upgrade like this, you are expected to make backups of your SAN before the upgrade happens. Microsoft failed to make these backups for some reason. We’re not sure if it was because of the amount of data that would be required, if they didn’t have time to do it, or if they simply forgot. Regardless of why, Microsoft should know better. So Hitachi worked on upgrading the SAN and something went wrong, resulting in it’s destruction. Currently the plan is to try to get the devices that still have personal data on them to sync back to the servers and at least keep the data that users have on their device saved.

We’ve heard this from what appears to be several sources and it seems to hold weight. Needless to say it all boils down to one thing: Microsoft did not have a working backup.

How this happens in today’s day and age is beyond belief. Hundreds of thousands of customers that generate millions of dollars in revenue means you back their stuff up, in triplicate. You test these backups regularly, and you move a copy off site that doesn’t get touched except in case of an emergency (i.e. right now). The head of the mobile division (and person in charge of what’s left of Danger) is Roz Ho, who has been at Microsoft for 18 years. You would think she’d know something about how to run a business.

What does this mean for the future of the Sidekick? Unless Microsoft pulls a miracle out of thin air the Sidekick is dead. People are already jumping ship to other phones with this news, and the exposure of how inept Microsoft is when it comes to the mobile world is huge. If Microsoft can’t continue to run Danger, a company that was ground-breaking and solidly built, how can we expect anything from the Windows Mobile department?
    Hmmm....Sprint outsourced it's network engineering/maintenance to a contractor. I've heard Ericsson say oops before.
    Unplugged Since 1999

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by unplugged
    If Microsoft can’t continue to run Danger, a company that was ground-breaking and solidly built, how can we expect anything from the Windows Mobile department?
    Windows Mobile phone does not rely on the servers in Microsoft!
    it is different store and more robust!
    I could not believe Microsoft purchased such junk, it does not help, only ruin MS

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolPhone
    Windows Mobile phone does not rely on the servers in Microsoft!
    it is different store and more robust!
    I could not believe Microsoft purchased such junk, it does not help, only ruin MS
    Whether you think the SK is junk or not is totally irrelevant. MicroSquish or one of their contractors screwed up big time by not making a proper backup. The SK is not the iPhone, the G1 or a WinMo device. If you had bothered to read the article in full you'd see that it did have a lot going for it when it came out. Things change and people move on to other more advanced devices. It happens all the time. People at one time thought that the 'brick' cell phone was the best thing that ever came along. People thought that the StarTac was the greatest. At the time they were around they were at the top of their field. Technology marches on.

I'm not ashamed that I am still using a CRT analog tuner with digital converter TV and still use a VCR rather than a DVR. I'm also not ashamed that I'm not using an iPhone, G1 or WinMo device either.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolPhone
    I believe phone is not dead.
    Only the data stored in the server got lost.
    Phone is still able to make calls.
    This kind "Smartphone" actually is the stupidest phone.
    Data store in servers!
    The phone may not be dead, but the service may be. How many people are going to trust that anything they have on their phone will be there when MicroSquish didn't have the smarts to do a backup of data when they did whatever it was that they did. Worst thing for any company is for people to lose faith in what you do.

It also puts a cloud on the "cloud" i.e. cloud computing. T-Mobile's going to take a lot of heat for this even though it wasn't anything that they did per se to bring about this situation.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 plus, Google Nexus 6p, Blackberry Passport
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile, Google Fi, Vivo Brasil
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Telekom
    ...Microsoft announced that they had lost all Sidekick user data ...
    This was clearly not Microsoft's "A" team of contractors on this project. (99% of work done under Microsoft's name is NOT done by M$ employees.) It's just common sense that you get a verified backup of the data on a SAN before you disturb it. Granted, the backup window is a little bit long because I bet it's in the tens or hundreds of terabytes, but the project managers should have calculated data size vs. backup throughput to allow time - and done other things to mitigate the risk of loss like TESTING A RESTORE...

It's a stupid, amateur mistake to make - made all the more visible by all the users data that got wiped out.

Device(s)
    N1 & G2 next up=Samsung Tab
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

T-Mobile offers Sidekick users olive branch, $100

T-Mobile offers Sidekick users olive branch, $100
    http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/12/t...ve-branch-100/

Device(s)
    Blackberry Storm (unlocked
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Telekom
    People thought that the StarTac was the greatest.
    The StarTac is the greatest. Your mocking tone about my precious handset circa 1996 is hurtfull and mean.

Sarcasm aside despite the fact that the "urban" youth and the tweens are the current target market, the Sidekick was (until this fiasco) an amazing piece of tech when it dropped. Even up until the SK3 it was still an almost technical marvel since the "cloud" idea was still a thing of the future. The hardware wasn't revolutionary after the Color SK but the software and data management was.

The issue is that the SK did not change/adopt to the times fast enough and as such was left in the flapping in the wind. This, whatever (sabotage, lack of care, upgrade gone wrong, etc...) is a major set back for a struggling platform.

I left the Sidekick a few months back with the random data outages and am glad I did for the data security. I do still miss the keyboard though. That and the multitasking which up until the 09 was fan-freakin-tastic.
    When our 5 powers combine, we summon Earth's greatest champion: Captain Planet.
    Driver picks the music. Shotgun shuts his cakehole.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapaleeman
    The StarTac is the greatest. Your mocking tone about my precious handset circa 1996 is hurtfull and mean.

Sarcasm aside despite the fact that the "urban" youth and the tweens are the current target market, the Sidekick was (until this fiasco) an amazing piece of tech when it dropped. Even up until the SK3 it was still an almost technical marvel since the "cloud" idea was still a thing of the future. The hardware wasn't revolutionary after the Color SK but the software and data management was.

The issue is that the SK did not change/adopt to the times fast enough and as such was left in the flapping in the wind. This, whatever (sabotage, lack of care, upgrade gone wrong, etc...) is a major set back for a struggling platform.

I left the Sidekick a few months back with the random data outages and am glad I did for the data security. I do still miss the keyboard though. That and the multitasking which up until the 09 was fan-freakin-tastic.
    Despite it's rep as a teener phone it has some positive stuff that none of the other "smart" phones have such as unlimited IM/text and web browsing and this for only $30/month on prepaid or $20 extra a month if you had a post paid plan. Yes, the iPhone is a more powerful phone with 85,000 available apps but that's $70 minimum a month if you want unlimited.

Device(s)
    nokia n86
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

what about prepaid?

Does anybody know if the 30 days compensation tmobile is offering will also include prepaid $1 a day accounts? Still haven't received any compensation from them and when I called CS they didn't know.