Phones
    Gold Iphone 5S 32gb unlocked
    Nokia 8890/N95 - back up
    Nokia 8801 / N80, iP4 - Sold
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score

fido - no service (dropping signal) problem

anyone here on Fido recently having major no service (dropping signal) problems with their iPhones? My wifes 3g and my 3gs used to have full reception where we live... recently, both of our iPhones bounce between full reception to no service constantly...

my wife's 3g is on 3.0 and I am on 3.0.1... no problems except a few dropped calls until a week ago where we are now constantly cycling between full bars and no service...

I'm on a 3g SIM, and my wife is on an old SIM...

I don't think it is our iPhones as we both had no problems before.. then all of the sudden.. both iPhones cycle... must be the network..

Tried calling Fido on my landline... waited to talk to a tech... guess what.. the line with Fido gets cut...

The iPhone is pretty useless now as it is completely not reliable with calls sometimes going to voicemail... sometimes a message from Fido...

So frustrating...

Phones
    Nokia 8890/N95 - back up
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    update... turned off 3g services on both phones... now can send and receive calls... if 3g is turned back on.. sometimes it shows full bars, but can not dial out or receive calls... sometimes it shows no service..

looks like 3g is down for Fido in Vancouver... but it seems the iPhone does not know the 3g is down cuz it's not kicking it down to edge automatically...

???????????

Phone
    black iPhone 3G 8GB
    Carrier
    Fido customer since 2000
    Feedback Score
    Same here in Montreal, I didnt have Edge access for a whole week. Now I can't even browse the net on 3G..

Phones
    iPhone 3GS
    Razr V3C
    Carriers
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    The other thing is the 3.1.2 update is supposed to fix a problem like you described. It could be the network. Now if you care about unlocking in the future don't upgrade directly. But either way you can get to 3.1.2 you just need to use the dev team method.

Phones
    BlackBerry Bold 9700
    iPhone 3GS 16gb
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    If he's on 3.1 he's screwed anyway for unlocking

Phones
    Nexus S, Samsung Blackjack i607
    LG L3
    Nokia 2855i
    Carrier
    PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    There are many other threads in the Fido and Rogers forums with the same symptoms, especially in the last few weeks. It is not specific to the iPhone. It's the network.

Phones
    Nokia 8890/N95 - back up
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    it a cell tower near my home that is the problem... after speaking with numerous Fido CS that kept on saying that it's our phones problems.. a CS finally indicated that there is a Work Ticket number to fix a faulty tower near our house..

we get 3g as soon as we leave our home.. and lose reception as soon as we get home... need to keep it at edge to get the phone to work..

we'll see in the next day or so if it gets fixed...

as noted in the original post.. i'm on 3.0.1 and my wife is on 3.0... and we don't want to update to 3.1.2..

Phones
    Apple iPhone 5
    Apple iPhone 5
    Apple iPhone 4
    Carriers
    Fido Solutions Inc.
    Feedback Score
    Bosch,

I suggest your wife to activate a 3G sim card to solve a part of the issue.

Finally, I highly recommand you to update both iPhones to the newest O.S. neither Fido and Apple will give you further support if you don't update to the newest one.

...Also, if you don't use any Data Option, simply don't activate the 3G...

Quote Originally Posted by bosch
    it a cell tower near my home that is the problem... after speaking with numerous Fido CS that kept on saying that it's our phones problems.. a CS finally indicated that there is a Work Ticket number to fix a faulty tower near our house..

we get 3g as soon as we leave our home.. and lose reception as soon as we get home... need to keep it at edge to get the phone to work..

we'll see in the next day or so if it gets fixed...

as noted in the original post.. i'm on 3.0.1 and my wife is on 3.0... and we don't want to update to 3.1.2..
    Disclaimer: All my posts, replies, comments and/or opinions expressed on www.howardforums.com are my own contribution only. The views expressed on this page do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of Fido, its management or employees.
    Fritz Z24...

Phones
    iPhone 3GS
    Razr V3C
    Carriers
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Karim-S
    If he's on 3.1 he's screwed anyway for unlocking
    He said they aren't in the first post.

Why don't you want to upgrade? Unless your worried about unlocking you may as well. Better battery life as well.

Phones
    Nokia 8890/N95 - back up
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by macman64
    He said they aren't in the first post.

Why don't you want to upgrade? Unless your worried about unlocking you may as well. Better battery life as well.
    yes, i'm concerned about unlocking as i travel, and would like to use foreign sims... 3.0.1 is working fine for me... i've read alot of issues with 3.1.2... are you saying you are getting better better life with 3.1.2?

i'm debating on updating to 3.1.2 via pwnage and keeping the baseband at the unlockable one... if there is enough good things in 3.1.2, then i might.. doing research still..

Phone
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    This has been happening to me since last year at work. Full bars to dots, and fom 3G signal to nothing while maintaining full signal strength.

Phones
    iPhone 3GS
    Razr V3C
    Carriers
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bosch
    yes, i'm concerned about unlocking as i travel, and would like to use foreign sims... 3.0.1 is working fine for me... i've read alot of issues with 3.1.2... are you saying you are getting better better life with 3.1.2?

i'm debating on updating to 3.1.2 via pwnage and keeping the baseband at the unlockable one... if there is enough good things in 3.1.2, then i might.. doing research still..
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=803099 I am getting similar results. If the baseband is not update i don't know if it will have the same effect. As the dropped cell coverage fix might be in the baseband. I don't really know.

Feedback Score
    Jacky was in the P3 dungeon in Chinatown with Rogers Nokia95-8gb and Fido 16gb iphone 3Gs; jacky had some time and pulled out both phones so girl thinks he's FLY (in soup), Rogers had signal but Fido was in the doghouse and girl took other elevator

Phones
    Nokia 8890/N95 - back up
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by macman64
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=803099 I am getting similar results. If the baseband is not update i don't know if it will have the same effect. As the dropped cell coverage fix might be in the baseband. I don't really know.
    i am also wondering about the same thing... as the baseband is not updated (if pwnaged), then will 3.1.2 do anything to help with the reception issue...???