Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: A Brief Review of LG 290c

Feedback Score
    thank you very much Mosaic55

Phones
    LG290C
    Nokia 2126i (until dog ate it)
    Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score

LG290C Tracfone File Transfer

After much frustration I have developed a repeatable method for transferring files to and from my LG290C Tracfone and my OS X Leopard MacBook. The procedure is as follows:

From the main screen go to Menu>Settings>Bluetooth>Power>Off>OK. Press End to return to the main screen. Dial ##7764726290 and press send. Enter 000000 press OK. Scroll down to Bluetooth Setting and press OK. FTP Server is highlighted press OK. Yes is highlighted press OK. Highlight On and press OK (NOTE: Even if there is a check mark next to On already select it again. You will have to do this every time you want to transfer files). Set down your phone near your computer.

In OS X go to the Bluetooth Menu>Set Up Bluetooth Device. Follow the instructions and complete this procedure. You will then have LG290C in your Bluetooth menu (NOTE: do not try Send File... or Browse Device...!). Next go to www.binarynights.com , download Forklift and copy it to your Applications folder. Open Forklift. Click OK to use the 15 day trial version. Click Connect. Highlight LG290C and click Connect. Double click either Phone_My_Audios or Phone_My_Images. Drag from Forklift to the Desktop to transfer a file to your computer. Drag from the Desktop to Forklift to copy a file to your phone.

In this manner I have been able to transfer jpg files which can be viewed on the phone. I have been able to transfer MP3 files which can be set as ringtones. I even transfered an animated gif which could be set as a wallpaper. I can also transfer 1.3 megapixel images taken with the camera from the phone to my computer.

I have tried using Boot Camp to start up in Windows XP and find some comparable method but had driver issues. The first paragraph of my procedure should help someone else to find a method in Windows. If you do please post. Also if you know of any other uses for the service menu please post.

Carriers
    Tracfone, Net10
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    This is very intersting. I can now see OBEX file transfer as a service on the LG290. I haven't yet found a (working) windows XP FTP client that can link to a OBEX server.

There's a Medievil Bluetooth OBEX program, but it always gives an error about no RPC avaialbel.

Phones
    LG290C
    Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score

Windows LG290C Tracfone File Transfer

I spent some more time with Windows. I received the same error with the Medieval software. I tried some other software called BlueSoleil and it works. It can be downloaded from www.bluesoleil.com . It gives you access to the same two folders that store your audio and images on the LG290.

I have also found that in Forklift if you go to Go>Go To Folder... and type ..\ you get the root directory of the phone with 4 folders in it. Trying to open them produces an error. If anyone one could figure a way into these it might lead to being able to install things like java games. Please post!

Phones
    LG290C
    Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score

Cool Feature on Tracfone LG 290

I just discovered a feature which no one has mentioned yet. From the main screen go to Menu>Tools>Voice Command>Announce Alert select Announce and hit OK. Now when you receive an incoming call the phone will speak "call from" the persons name and "home" if they are calling from home etc. When you receive a text it says "a message from" etc.

Feedback Score

STP 2128 - Windows Software?

Am I understanding correctly? With the Bluesoleil software installed, can you access the pic and audio files via Bluetooth.

Does this software override the file lockdown? Can you actually transfer pics and audio back and forth between the LG 290C and the PC???

Phones
    lg 290c
    nokia 2126i
    Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I tried bluesoleil, I couldn't find any way to access files on the 290c, it does see the phone but that is about it.

Phones
    LG290C
    Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    OK. If you have BlueSoliel installed and it is seeing your phone you are halfway there. From that point do the following. Click on the BlueSoliel icon in the system tray and select Explore Bluetooth Places. Assuming that you have Bluetooth power on on your phone do the following. From the main screen dial ##7764726290 and press send, dial 000000. Scroll down and highlight Bluetooth Setting and hit OK, FTP Server is selected, hit OK. Highlight ON and hit OK, EVEN IF THERE IS A CHECKMARK NEXT TO ON ALREADY. This will turn on OBEX File Transfer on your phone (at least temporarily). Go back to the Bluetooth Places window on your computer and double click Search Services. "Bluetooth file Transfer" will appear, double click. You will see two folders Phone_My_Audios and Phone_My_Images.

You now have drag and drop file transfer for MP3s, JPGs and GIFS and perhaps other audio and image formats. It seems that you can copy any file of these types to the phone. Once they are on the phone there are size restrictions. For example if an animated gif is too big it gives you a message that it can't be set as the Main Screen.

The next time you connect your phone file transfer may not work. I have found that if I go back and repeat the service menu procedure on the phone and search services on the PC it comes back. For some reason the FTP Server setting on the phone does not persist.

Earlier I mentioned Java games. I am pretty sure at this point the 290c does not support Java. It does support flv (Flash) files as evidenced by highlighting one of the default animated wallpapers and and hitting Options>Information. I have yet to find a way to access the other directories on the phone. I have tried BitPim which would be nice if it worked. I don't think it will because the phone doesn't support a Bluetooth Serial connection. But we didn't think you could transfer images or ringtones so.... who knows?

Feedback Score
    I like my LG290c, I bought the Tracfone version. I am also having the same problems as many others. I cannot send/Receive pictures via email. My computer recognized the phones presents over the usb by installing the appreciate drivers but the LG phone manager software cant connect with the device to transfer files. The *22891 code was successful but didn’t change anything. any ideas. Thanks

Carrier
    PagePlus - No Dealer Required
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by W7BLM
    I like my LG290c, I bought the Tracfone version. I am also having the same problems as many others. I cannot send/Receive pictures via email. My computer recognized the phones presents over the usb by installing the appreciate drivers but the LG phone manager software cant connect with the device to transfer files. The *22891 code was successful but didn’t change anything. any ideas. Thanks
    The only thing *22891 does is load the most updated PRL (preferred roaming list). The MMS issue is something that needs to be fixed by trac.........call Miami CS or contact Super CSR Elston (search around here for his contact info). And when it still doesn't work? Contact them again and again and again and.........

Phones
    lg 290c
    nokia 2126i
    Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    That worked perfectly stp2128 Thanks for the great info.

Phones
    LG290C
    Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score

Tracfone LG 290C MMS and Browser not working

When I activated my Tracfone LG 290C i had the same problem. I could not send or receive MMS picture messages and when I tried the browser it said "Network Connection Lost."

I called the regular Tracfone customer service number 1-800-867-7183, waited 24 hours then called Customer Escalations 1-800-876-5753. I explained the problem to the rep and she said she sees it every day. She could not fix it immediately but wrote a message to the department that could, took may number and said she would call me when it was working.

I got a call about 2 hours later. She had me try the browser but it didn't work. She said she would contact the other department and call me back. After about 2 hours I got a call and tried the browser and it worked. MMS worked too.

So my experience wasn't so bad. I called the same number when the regular cs line was saying to call back because of heavy call volume. I got a rep within a couple minutes and they resolved my issue immediately.

Phones
    LG 290c
    LG 3280
    Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    stp2128, thanks for all the info you've posted.

Unfortunately, I'm still at a loss on gaining (relaiable) access to my TF LG290c. I first tried the Blue Soleil on my Win7 box, I could get the phone paired, but nothing at all showed in Blue Soleil's file explorer. The software was accessing some of the phone features - the cPhoneTool could actually dial out a call on the phone! But no file access.

I then tried my MacMini and the Forklift app. The phone pairs with the Mac, but will not connect, or stay connected. OS X's (10.4) BT configuration shows the phone paired and configured, but not connected. I see the connection status to go Yes for brief times as the phone interacts with the Mac, such as pairing or discovering services. At one point, I did have a constant connection and was able to upload a sound file to the phone and download a picture from it, but have not been able to keep it connected since. I know the ##7764..... sequence by heart now.

And, one day into use of the phone, I cannot send or receive MMS. Local service is by Verizon.

Suggestions, anyone?
    vm

Phones
    LG290C
    Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    On your phone go to Menu>Settings>Bluetooth>Paired Devices>Options>Remove All and hit OK. Press C and go to Power>Off and hit OK. Press End to return to the main screen. Dial ##7764726290 and press send. Enter 000000 press OK. Scroll down to Bluetooth Setting and press OK. FTP Server is highlighted press OK. Yes is highlighted press OK. Highlight On and press OK.

On your Mac go to Bluetooth Menu>Open Bluetooth Preferences. Highlight LG LG290C and click the minus sign. Click the plus sign and follow the instructions in the Bluetooth Setup Assistant and on your Phone.

Open ForkLift. Click Connect select LG LG290C and click Connect. This will allow you to copy files from your phone. When you are done go to Bluetooth Menu>LG LG290C>Disconnect.

If you cant copy files to your phone in ForkLift the alternative is Bluetooth Menu>LG LG290C>Browse Device. If you don't have this option go to Bluetooth Menu>Browse Device select LG LG290C and click Browse. Browse device may show you the contents of the Audio and Images Folder on your first attempt at this but on subsequent attempts it may not. That is OK you can still copy files by opening a folder and dragging and dropping to the Browsing... window. When you do it will say "The last operation failed: bad request. This is OK too. Go to Bluetooth Menu>LG LG290C>Disconect. On your phone go to Menu>My Folder>Images>My Images or Menu>My Folder>Audios and the file will be there.

If the next time you try to use ForkLift or Browse device you get some kind of connection failed error repeat the service menu procedure and try again. It should work. If not got back to the top of this post and do it all again.

I'm not in Windows right now but the procedure would be similar ie doing the first paragraph and deleting the LG290C in BlueSoliel and re-pairing it.

Regarding your MMS issue call Tracfone Customer Escalations 1-800-876-5753. Their hours of operation are 8am - 7pm, Monday - Friday.
    Last edited by stp2128; 12-27-2009 at 12:48 AM.

Phones
    LG290C
    Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Here's a wallpaper i made with the Tracfone O and the LG logo. It takes a few seconds to load.

Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast