Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Thread: A Brief Review of LG 290c

Feedback Score
    Sorry if it's a stupid question but from what I've read on forums with the tf 290c you can disable the browser and still recieve sms txt mssgs but can you still recieve mms picture mssgs with the browswer disabled??? Thanx so much.

p.s, since it's a cdma does it matter whether or not i get it from the tracfone site, won't it be exactly the same as in any store since it's cdma?? I know if I order gsm via tracfone site they will send tmobile or at@t at their discretion but I've never owned a cdma........thanx again!
    Last edited by WstKstTrkFnUsr; 01-02-2010 at 07:59 PM. Reason: added question?

Phone
    LG 290C
    Carrier
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    stp2128 - that FTP-enabling code is sweet. Thanks so much for finding that.

I think I'm going to be using the camera a lot more now that I know it won't cost me 15 cents a pop to get the photos off the phone.

For those of you on Windows: If your Bluetooth hardware is Broadcom-based (like the Iogear USB dongle I just bought), check out Broadcom's Widcomm software - latest version downloadable here.

It's got a couple of advantages over the BlueSoleil software in that it lets you access your "My_Images" and "My_Audios" folders directly from Windows Explorer, and - more importantly - that it's free.

Phones
    LG290C
    Nokia 2126i (until dog ate it)
    Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WstKstTrkFnUsr
    Sorry if it's a stupid question but from what I've read on forums with the tf 290c you can disable the browser and still recieve sms txt mssgs but can you still recieve mms picture mssgs with the browswer disabled??? Thanx so much.

p.s, since it's a cdma does it matter whether or not i get it from the tracfone site, won't it be exactly the same as in any store since it's cdma?? I know if I order gsm via tracfone site they will send tmobile or at@t at their discretion but I've never owned a cdma........thanx again!
    WstKstTrkFnUsr,

Yes you can still receive MMS picture messages. I just tested this with my own LG 290C. Menu>Settings>Security>enter lock code and hit OK>Restrictions>enter lock code and hit OK>Data>Lock. Press end to return to the main screen and press Browser. You get a message "Data is now locked" and the browser doesn't open. To test MMS I then sent an MMS from my email to my phone and both the message and image were received. Although I haven't inadvertently opened the browser while the phone is in my pocket this will provide piece of mind. BTW i believe the default lock code is 0000 but if you happened to have called *228 and selected the activation option the lock code may have been set to the last 4 digits of your phone number.

The LG290C is a CDMA phone whether you buy it from the Tracfone website or in store. So if stores in you area offer this phone go ahead and buy it. If not check the Tracfone website with your zip code to see if it is offered. Don't by it if it is not available in your area because it may not work!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by stp2128
    WstKstTrkFnUsr,

Yes you can still receive MMS picture messages. I just tested this with my own LG 290C. Menu>Settings>Security>enter lock code and hit OK>Restrictions>enter lock code and hit OK>Data>Lock. Press end to return to the main screen and press Browser. You get a message "Data is now locked" and the browser doesn't open. To test MMS I then sent an MMS from my email to my phone and both the message and image were received. Although I haven't inadvertently opened the browser while the phone is in my pocket this will provide piece of mind. BTW i believe the default lock code is 0000 but if you happened to have called *228 and selected the activation option the lock code may have been set to the last 4 digits of your phone number.

The LG290C is a CDMA phone whether you buy it from the Tracfone website or in store. So if stores in you area offer this phone go ahead and buy it. If not check the Tracfone website with your zip code to see if it is offered. Don't by it if it is not available in your area because it may not work!

Thank you soooo much!! Very helpful, I've been contemplating between this phone and the qwerty's offered through net10. ive been with tracfone for years and have the lg600 now but want to upgrade.

still on the fence between this one and the samsung r451c

Carrier
    PagePlus - No Dealer Required
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by stp2128
    Trac prefers that you use gsm fones in certain markets. That's why you may not be offered a cdma choice on the trac website.
    But, you most certainly can buy and use a cdma trac in your area even if it is not available in for area on the trac website IF the trac coverage map shows cdma coverage in your area (choose the model you want in the "national coverage" column). The only catch is that you may end up having to activate the fone in another zip code, thereby possibly not getting a local number.

Just one example would be the major market of Chicago. Punch in a CHI zip on tracs website and the only offerings you get are gsm. Check the coverage map for a trac cdma fone and you will see excellent cdma coverage.

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys, do either of you (or anyone) have an opinion on the lg290c vs. the samsung r451c???

Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WstKstTrkFnUsr
    Thanks guys, do either of you (or anyone) have an opinion on the lg290c vs. the samsung r451c???
    I haven't used either. Take the time to look around the forum and you will find plenty of opinions about each.

Feedback Score
    will do some more searching, just haven't found many that compare the two. Thanks again!

Feedback Score
    can anyone help me I was able to get in my phone with the ##7 number and I went into the prepaid tab and found the USB locked I clicked OK it then asked for a service code I tried all (0's) it did not work. Does anyone have the codes? and now I can still get into the phone with the ##7 number but it will not let me into the prepaid menu any more. any ideas

Phones
    LG290C
    Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    The USB on this phone is locked and can only be used for charging. I haven't found the USB lock code anywhere but if anyone ever does let us know. Seems unlikely however since it's a pretty long number.

This post http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1598393 seems to suggest that after two tries at the 16 digit code selecting Prepaid will give you the message *Restricted* Not Available. They must have done that to prevent someone from trying every combination of 16 digits until they got the right one.

I have tried the all zeros thing too and guess I won't try it again. Anyway you haven't really lost anything (hopefully) by doing this except the opportunity to enter the code if it is ever found. If you want to transfer files see the Bluetooth method earlier in this thread.
    Last edited by stp2128; 01-04-2010 at 06:28 AM.

Phones
    LG290C
    Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    When I ordered my LG 290C from Tracfone on the web I used code 23444 at the checkout screen to save $3 off my order and code 88160 to add a free accessory kit to my order. The accessory kit I recieved did not have an an adapter for the 290C's micro USB port. It did however have an adapter for mini USB so I ordered StarTechs's Micro USB to Mini USB 2.0 Adapter M/F from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Micro-USB-Mini...2624375&sr=8-1 .

I am happy to report that this adapter works with both the car charger and with a standard USB to mini USB cable allowing charging from both my car and computer. The adapter also supports data with the computer cable. When plugged in the phone comes up as LGE CDMA USB Serial Port (Com 8), however I haven't been able to do anything with it. I have tried BitPim, CDMA Workshop, QPST and LG Download but all come up with errors. No surprise there as the USB on this phone is locked down but it was worth a try.

Phone
    lg290c
    Carrier
    tracfone
    Feedback Score
    My new lg290c had the browser problem.Called tech support,got ticket,called again after 24 hr.He had me put many codes in take nbattery out,ect.Now phone is always roaming and browser now says"data service not available".Now waiting 48 hrs.GGGRRRR

Phones
    LG290C
    Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Call Tracfone Customer Escalations 1-800-876-5753.

Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hdsparky
    My new lg290c had the browser problem.Called tech support,got ticket,called again after 24 hr.He had me put many codes in take nbattery out,ect.Now phone is always roaming and browser now says"data service not available".Now waiting 48 hrs.GGGRRRR
    I would try a prl update to correct the roaming issue. Call *228 and choose option #2.

Phone
    LG290C
    Carrier
    ST
    Feedback Score
    I just got a Samsung R451C for ST and I am struggling with some of the shortcomings. One of the biggest being the lack of address entries in the phone book. Since I cannot find a detailed manual for the LG 290C can anyone please tell me if it allows address details for phone book entries?

I looked at the manual for the LX290 and it has many good options for contact entries, like address, memo, birthday etc. I'm not sure how the LX290 features compare to the 290C.
    See http://www.lge.com/us/mobile-phones/...er%20Guide.pdf

Thanks,
    Mike

Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast