Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New owner of TM506 - Which Cradlepoint router can I use?

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

New owner of TM506 - Which Cradlepoint router can I use?

I am interested in tethering a TM506 with a Cradlepoint router. While I have seen mention of this ability on the forum, the specific Cradlepoint model is not listed. I have also looked on Cradlepoint's website, but could not find the TM506 listed.

Any recommendations of known working Cradlepoint routers to tether with the TM506 to create a mobile WiFi hotspot?

Feedback Score
    PM Scottish Skyedance if you don't get a reply. I'm pretty sure he figured out this setup awhile back.

Device(s)
    LG V20 and LG G Pad X 8.0
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile One Plan 6+1 lines
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (HTC Touch Pro 2: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile 6.0) T-Mobile_Rhodium)

Cradlepoint will work right out of box, because it dials *99# as default; however, you can specify APN by dialing *99***x#, whereas x is APN ID in the phone.
    I have CTR-500, it works right away with TM506 (using epc APN).

Optimum/Cablevision

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Sorry for the newbie question - but how does one find the APN ID in the phone?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gilbreen
    Sorry for the newbie question - but how does one find the APN ID in the phone?
    Go into menu\settings\connectivity tab\Internet settings

Select Connect Using

It will bring up the data accounts that are on the phone. Each data account has an APN associated with it, which you can see if you click options view.

The APN ID that Scottish referred to is simply it's position on the data account list---First position =1, Second position =2 and so on. Use that number in the dialing number that Scottish posted.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000
    Go into menu\settings\connectivity tab\Internet settings

Select Connect Using

It will bring up the data accounts that are on the phone. Each data account has an APN associated with it, which you can see if you click options view.

The APN ID that Scottish referred to is simply it's position on the data account list---First position =1, Second position =2 and so on. Use that number in the dialing number that Scottish posted.

Ah, perfect - thanks! So in my case since I use Tzones, I should be able to use either 1 or 2 since position 1 is epc.tmobile.com and 2 is wap.voicestream.com - both of which I believe are used by Tzones.

Now, off to find a Cradlepoint router.

Thanks again.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gilbreen
    So in my case since I use Tzones, I should be able to use either 1 or 2 since position 1 is epc.tmobile.com and 2 is wap.voicestream.com - both of which I believe are used by Tzones.
    Right, that is correct.

Feedback Score
    TM-506 works perfectly with CTR-350 .. Pick at Best Buy at 100 $ ,,,

Other choice is new Zoom 4506 whcih has better specs than CTR-350.. has built in battery like PHS-300 ,, and buy.com has it for 88.47 $...

Choice is yours,,,,

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Hi I bought a Cradlepoint CTR500. I am trying to figure out how to connect Sony Ericsson T717 Equinox phone to the router. I tried and it says network suspended. It is not connecting thru the website.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by itouchmacbook

On my TM717, if you go to the settings menu, then the Connectivity tab, then USB, then USB network type, then you can select "Phone As Modem".
    However, my TM717 was modified per the wiki, so if you don't find that option in that location, its because it was in the modified menu.

The wiki explains how to do the modification:

http://wiki.howardforums.com/index.p...x_Modification

However, I don't know if the files the wiki links to are still active. If they aren't, I could try to repost them.

Once doing the modification, you will be able to select Phone As Modem (if you can't currently).

Feedback Score
    I had two TM506 phones. The older one worked out of the box. The newer one had newer software and needed to have generic software flashed before it would work. T-Mobile changed from allowing tethering to not allowing it. The older version of the software allows tethering and the newer doesn't.

The radio in both phones became unstable and wouldn't keep a 3G connection. Both have been replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottish Skyedance View Post
    Wirelessly posted (HTC Touch Pro 2: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile 6.0) T-Mobile_Rhodium)

Cradlepoint will work right out of box, because it dials *99# as default; however, you can specify APN by dialing *99***x#, whereas x is APN ID in the phone.
    I have CTR-500, it works right away with TM506 (using epc APN).

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    There is Phone as modem feature. But when i plug in the phone via usb it does not have that feature. I follow the instruction on how to do the modification. Right now, the phone connects to computer but it does not recognize as phone mode (only recognize as mass storage mode even I change from setting). In that case, I was not able to connect to internet via usb from my phone.

Cradlepoint does not recognize my phone when I plug in. Before doing modfication (T-mobile stock version), the phone icon lights up in orange but it will not connect. Right now, there is no light. I think there needs to do some modification. Can anyone help me out?

Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    However, my TM717 was modified per the wiki, so if you don't find that option in that location, its because it was in the modified menu.

The wiki explains how to do the modification:

http://wiki.howardforums.com/index.p...x_Modification

However, I don't know if the files the wiki links to are still active. If they aren't, I could try to repost them.

Once doing the modification, you will be able to select Phone As Modem (if you can't currently).
    Last edited by Guest466; 06-28-2011 at 11:48 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by itouchmacbook View Post
    There is Phone as modem feature. But when i plug in the phone via usb it does not have that feature. I follow the instruction on how to do the modification. Right now, the phone connects to computer but it does not recognize as phone mode (only recognize as mass storage mode even I change from setting). In that case, I was not able to connect to internet via usb from my phone.

Cradlepoint does not recognize my phone when I plug in. Before doing modfication (T-mobile stock version), the phone icon lights up in orange but it will not connect. Right now, there is no light. I think there needs to do some modification. Can anyone help me out?
    Here are the settings that work for me to get the connection via USB to my computer. (I don't have that cradlepoint router, so I can't help you on that.)

But on my phone, I go into Settings\Connectivity tab\USB\USB network\USB network type and I select Phone as modem.

Then under the USB network menu, I select USB data accounts and I have T-Mobile GPRS selected.

Then under the USB menu\USB default mode I select Phone mode.

That means as soon as you plug in your USB cable to your computer it will go into phone mode. Since you have the data account and default selected, it should use phone as modem to access that data account.

When connecting directly to your computer, you can open your network connections screen and see the connection process from the instant you plug in your USB.

I'm assuming once you have the settings like that in your phone, that the Cradlepoint router should work as others have described. But make sure you can tether via USB first per the steps listed above.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You know I finally got it worked. What I did is debrand the phone first. After debrand, I tried to connect to Cradlepoint CTR500 and it did not work. I tried different config and setting and no luck. So I leave that router for about a week. Somehow it works great yesterday.

The cradlepoint is connecting epc.tmobile.com. I am still under $5.00 Web2go plan and will that be a problem (are they going to upsell)?

Feedback Score
    Good job on getting it working. That's great. No, you won't get any upsell. The Equinox won't even cause a blip on T-Mobile's radar. Enjoy!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast