Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Warning to PCS Phone modders! I was caught PCS Tethering - even with the proper hacks

Feedback Score

Unhappy Warning to PCS Phone modders! I was caught PCS Tethering - even with the proper hacks

Starters, I messed up and definitely deserve ridicule for it , but keep it within the forum rules.

CLIFFS:
    - PCS Users: Unauthorized Tethering WILL cost you, you will be caught, and even with you successfully tunnel through the phone as the microbrowser. Also unauthorized java applications might cost you!
    - TELUS does warn by SMS... but by then it’s too late!
    - If you want serious EVDO data, get a smart phone or a USB modem, or consider another provider (American - even them roaming is cheaper). TELUS tethering is no longer a valid option.
    (Happens on your billing day)

- I have been tethering for a while now with a problem until now.
    - Last year I switched phones, forget to set it right, got nailed, plans set up, TELUS forgave it.
    - Settings corrected, tested, phone pretty much left alone, odd tethering here and there when deployed (when I did that I was prepared to pay as I kept them to <10MB/month), never got charged anyways.
    - one year later, figured that I was safe, and due to TELUS's unavailable PCS services, I loaded my own apps in the phone and did some PC tethering (kept it light data -- even the CSR called 400MB light.. well PCS pricing it isn't), come October somehow they caught on and I got NAILED HARD! I have a pretty bill on the way for $4200ish for 21 October 2009

- wondering how I hit 400MB... I was not connected long enough given their EVDO rev 0 speeds, suspecting hacked in phone apps were to blame partly also.
    - Have to wait until the holy bill comes to me in a few days to be able to set up payment plan or attempt to haggle the amount down further.

This will serve as a warning to those who think they can beat TELUS with free tethering, well TELUS will catch you, and I repeat will catch you for dinner . They also no longer have any valid tethering plans... so the chances of getting caught are much much much higher.

As a side note to explain why I tethered in the first place, TELUS's PCS add on services suck, TV streaming is intermittent, YouTube streaming never works, their new email program always comes up unavailable, and their browser site cut CIBC from their banking list -- and I am paying for this. When I first got TELUS they did not have the YouTube, but the online mobile mail they had through OZ worked, then they changed to some other crap and it never worked since. I figured that if I am paying for these services, and not even CSRs can get them to work (which I have called in about), that I can make my computer masquerade as the phone's browser and get them directly through TELUS's EVDO IP network just like how their java apps do internally on the phone. Well that party has been totally crashed.

Well, I figured I could beat TELUS and tether through my PCS phone when I am away from home on military duty . Being in the navy I have to travel A LOT. Getting readily accessible vanilla internet has always been an issue, I need it for email and paying bills, and military firewalls are very restrictive. The CF's DWAN computers have very hard firewall restrictions and even with the recent relaxing of the firewalls to permit banking and external webmail, they still are very restrictive in their use, and heavily monitored. So when I read about free tethering for a Verizon phone last year, I gave it a go, it worked great on my LG Chocolate, no problems as long as I only used the phone in Canada (roaming sucks). It was when I switched to a Keybo last year from bricking my Chocolate that I ran into problems, I had the incorrect settings in the phone and got nailed for 100MB @ $15/MB, ouch, I did catch this in time and TELUS gave me credit for it .

Now a year later, this is where I got stupid d:. I had the rate plan modified to permit unlimited browsing already. To tether, I set the right phone settings and windows DUN settings, and on the bill it would show up as Mobile Web Browser and not Connect 1x/EVDO charges :. Due to the unlimited browsing plan this would go unnoticed for a while -- until the surprise came ! So, I used it a few times here and there when out of town deployed, no problems, but October after coming back from my sea phase of HMCS TORONTO in Mexico was different. Mexican hotel wifi sucked but it was free and still faster than TELUS EVDO . My home area is Halifax; I am currently in Victoria on temporary duty on course. Back in Canada, My DWAN computer was having issues especially with HTTPS (happens all the time with the new iAccess platform) and I had to get my distance learning/bills/civilian email/banking in , so I continued what I did before and fired up my trusty phone to the computer -- and thought I kept the usage to a minimum.

Well it turned out there was at least a few days in the last couple weeks, I went over 10MB, these days got assessed as Connect 1X/EVDO (not the usual "Wireless web browser - <large number>", for an apparent total of 450MB and a grand total of $4200 in data charges . What made me look even though I thought I was in the clear was a text message from TELUS (1-400-500-0205), "Please contact TELUS regarding your data usage for 902-XXX-XXXX @ 1-800-777-1888 between 8am and 8pm Mon-Fri." at 12:21 pm pacific. Oh crap I think I know what this is about, is this going back to two days when I updated my PRL and had some fun..., ok so I go in right away to E-Care using my DWAN workstation and immediately saw the horror of data charges waiting for my next billing (if the bill had a face it would be ... ). Being the proactive customer I am about being on top of my bill and upcoming charges I called up TELUS ASAP .

Why I was not warned earlier, I do not know, but I think they do not warn until the bill run is actually being done, had I known they were catching it right away I would have stopped then. Wow, now it does not matter what you do with your phone (setting everything to microbrowser and SIP), they will catch a computer going out, $#$%. Also I think half of it was the other java apps I have forced onto the phone (Opera Mini - VERY heavily used, Nimbuzz, MgMAPS).

Time to call customer service and come clean:

So I call their CSR desk, bounced around, and spoke to a slew of agents. Right now, all were very nice, understood my situation (I came clean as there was no other way to do it), but because I was granted a credit within 1 year (I am 30 days off from having that gone), I was only able to get 25% off the $4200 in charges, this was even with getting retention involved. Granted, I totally messed up and the ball is in TELUS's court.

The problem I did have though with TELUS is the 450MB they claimed I did... well I know I did not as I those days I was on very briefly (maybe 20 minutes a pop, except for one 90 min run, mostly was idle) but their data department wasn't having it; if you tether AT ALL they give you the cold shoulder. Well, I guess I'll have to pay my sorrows via some payment plan, because there is no way I can cough up $3000 in 30 days and will wind up defaulting on the bill if they refuse to negotiate further. Let this be a lesson, if you think you can hack your phone for "free" Internet by tethering (I put free in because to do it you still need some data plan)... you will be caught! It is a good thing the moderators on here have gotten strict about this, and take notice; I did not post specifics on how I did it so others cannot be lead down that road.

Donald

Phones
    HTC Touch Pro 2
    HTC P4000
    HTC Touch Diamond
    Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Wow that's long..

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    I was going to go back and shorten it but I cannot edit it. The main point is unlimited data plan/ or unlimited web browsing will not hide tethering anymore like most think.

Phones
    iPhone 3GS 32GB (White)
    RIM BlackBerry Curve 8330
    LG 5450 \ Samsung SCH-N150
    Carrier
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    There were so many emoticons, it was like reading a book for children on the dangers of tethering.

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note
    Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Ouch. Sucks.

Carriers
    WIND Mobile
    PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kareshi
    just pay and type less
    It is a free forum here. Free as in speech.
    No longer on a leash by Fido

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    No way in hell I would pay $4200 for 400mb of data.... which almost certainly cost them nothing.

I would just toss that bill away and take the credit hit if I were you.

Phones
    Blackberry Torch
    iPhone 5 16gb
    iPhone 4S 32gb
    Carriers
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Tour 9630: BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.238 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/126)

So, from what I can understand from your post...they really can't prove you were tethering, they just flag the days that you go over 10mb in traffic on your phone? They can't charge you for using 3rd party apps on your phone, unauthorized or not. If you hadn't admitted to tethering....I would have fought it to the bitter end.

My New Rogers Plan
    - $35 Unlimited Local Calling Plan
    - $30 6GB Data
    - $10 Retention Value Pack - Free (2500 texts, CID, VM)
    - 100 mins LD - Free
    - $67 + tax

Bite me Telus.

Carriers
    Telus
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    hmm that sucks?

with all the times you have been caught you could have easily had a separate aircard and appropriate plan. .

Phone
    Carrier
    TELUS
    Feedback Score
    I agree with 4200$ being to much for 400 mb.
    I agree you should fight it. It is absolutely ridiculous especially given the fact that they charge 25$ for 500$ mb on a smartphone. I do advocate trying to renegociate again, and again, and like someone else said, go as far as taking the credit hit. Keep being positive, stick to your guns in a friendly manner.

Break down the charges on a $ per MB. Compare it to other offerings, you should be able to at leaaasst bring this down to something under 300$ in my opinion

As a last resort (and I know I will be flamed for recommending this) agree to sign up for 3 years, as a sigh of renewed business to them.

I did say, as a last resort, if for some reason negotiation still fails...

I disagree "with you shouldn't be charged for using third party apps". Read your terms and conditions.

Phones
    32GB iPhone 3GS
    9530 BB Storm
    8330 BB Curve
    Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Just use the basic tactics of any debt consolidation plan. Call up Telus and tell them you will not be paying the bill and are prepared to take the credit hit if that's what it will take, but you will not be paying no matter what. Then tell them if they reduced the bill you would pay it no problem.

They are not stupid, even a few hundred dollars is better then nothing and the added expense of sending the account to a debt collection agency.

Whatever you do, do NOT pay Telus $4200 for this. I don't care if it was your fault, that is a ridiculous amount of money to pay and its far more expensive then what a hit on your credit score would be worth.

Phones
    Motorola Brick and a Big A$$ Pager
    2 Tin Cans and a String
    Smoke Signals/Sunlight Reflection Signals using a piece of Glass
    Feedback Score
    Its been many, many long years since I had bad credit (In my late teens, early twenties who went crazy with a credit card) how much of a hit will $4200 do to his credit?

If he does take the hit...that basically means he'll never be able to sign with Telus or any other provider 'cause it will show (when he resigns with that new provider and they do a credit check) that he has an outstanding bill of $4200 correct?

Phones
    Iphones, Moto Androids
    Ifone4, WinMo7,Milestone
    Sierra 306/298
    Carriers
    Telus-Voice
    Feedback Score
    Meh, tell them you'll resign for 3 years and pay 100 bucks for the extra data.
    If that's not fair enough then they're just being like that cause they don't like the tethering people that make their lives so rough sometimes.. \
    Definitely don't pay the 4200, that's disgusting. if you had 30 GB or something, maybe. under 500MB is a 25 dollar plan. Be nice, cry if you have to, and at the end make it clear that "you CAN"T pay it, so I guess we'll have to go to court, unless you want to retroactively give me the 500MB data plan" or whatever.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by QPhone
    Its been many, many long years since I had bad credit (In my late teens, early twenties who went crazy with a credit card) how much of a hit will $4200 do to his credit?

If he does take the hit...that basically means he'll never be able to sign with Telus or any other provider 'cause it will show (when he resigns with that new provider and they do a credit check) that he has an outstanding bill of $4200 correct?
    Unless he declares bankruptcy, this debt will always be on his credit file as outstanding. Telus will sell it to a collection agency and the collections agency will hound him ad infinitum.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast