Thread: What's the difference between a MDN and MIN?

Phone
    LG VX9900
    Carrier
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score

What's the difference between a MDN and MIN?

MIN (Mobile Identification #) is different from my actual number. When I dial the number it says I have reached a sprint PCS voicemail box. No biggie, but just wonder what the MI# refers to.

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I'd like to know too

Phones
    HTC Touch Pro 2, HTC Touch Pro, Palm Treo Pro, HTC Touch, HTC Mogul, Samsung A920, Katana DLX
    LG Lotus Elite, LG Rumor 2, LG VX9800, LG VX8350, LG VX8100, Motorola E815,
    3 Motorola I425's (Used for GPS), 2 Kyocera KX18's,
    Carriers
    Sprint, Sprint SERO,
    Boost Mobile (GPS)
    Feedback Score
    I'm not sure exactly how to explain it, but here is an article from phone scoop that kind of explains it.
    "MIN

(Mobile Identification Number)

A unique 24-bit number assigned by the wireless service provider (carrier) to each phone it sells or includes in service plans.

Unlike an Electronic Serial Number (ESN), a MIN is changeable because wireless phones may change hands or phone owners may move to another coverage region, requiring a different service plan.

The MIN and ESN are both automatically transmitted to the wireless network each time the phone is used to verify that the phone has not been reported lost or stolen and that all subscriber bills are current."

"MDN

Mobile Directory Number

The actual phone number one would dial to reach a specific mobile phone.

Prior to Wireless Number Portability, MDN was the same number as the MIN for many mobile phones. But now that MDN numbers can be ported (moved) to other carriers, MDN and MIN will be different for ported numbers."

Someone's MDN can be the same as your MIN so most likely that number you called was someone else's actual number or their "MDN". Hope this helps, someone else will probably be able to explain it better.
    Do you ever feel like one phone isn't enough? That is the HoFo effect.

Carrier
    Sprint postpaid :(
    Feedback Score
    i asked VZW about this once a yr or so ago and the tech support guy explained that one is your phone number and the other one is a number that the network assigns to your phone for billing (as noted above) and to make sure no one clones your phone. he said when you make a call, the network checks your phone number (so they know its you) and your device number (so the networks knows its your phone) and if they match, the call goes through.

i'm sure there's more technicality to it, but he used layperson's terms

Phones
    Nokia 5185i
    Nokia 3595
    Samsung SCH-U340 (for a camera)
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    Verizon Inpulse (Samsung)
    Feedback Score
    On both my Verizon Impuse Samsung and my PPC Nokia 5185i, the MDN and MIN are the same. on the Samsung it even shows it to you on the 'Phone Info' menu

Carrier
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Its kind of like a security blanket. Presently its used for a few things. Years ago unscrupulous people would clone phones numbers and use your dime to talk. So the powers that be came up with a secondary number assigned to phones that the layman couldn't see or didn't know how to see. Now used for security as well as a billing identifier and area ids which goes hand in hand with the sid as well as other things.

Phones
    HTC Thunderbolt
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Carriers
    Verizon ~
    Feedback Score
    You will typically have the same MIN number as MDN number if you sign up for a new line of service with any carrier. If you port your number you will almost certainly have a different MIN number with the new carrier. The MIN typically will reflect an available phone number for your area for the new carrier. Has anyone else noticed this?

Phones
    LG VX5500
    Samsung Smooth
    Carrier
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I'm glad someone brought this up. I came across this after porting over my Virgin mobile # to my new Smooth phone. Out of curiousity, I called the second number. It appears to be random person's cell phone number. Of course, I didn't leave a message.

Carrier
    Sprint postpaid :(
    Feedback Score
    when i signed up for new service w/ verizon, my MDN and MIN were different..

not sure if this is a verizon thing, or what..

just my .02

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I ported. Mine are different

Feedback Score
    I've recently had two new activations, one on Verizon prepaid and one on PP, and in both cases the MDN and MIN were different.

Phones
    Motorola E-815
    Moto E-815
    LG VX-5500
    Carrier
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    MIN is a fixed length, 10 digit number that
    identifies a CDMA, TDMA or AMPS wireless
    subscription. First few digits of MIN also
    identify home wireless carrier.

MDN (Mobile Directory Number, aka ‘phone
    number’) varies in length from country to
    country

Remember that any number that is ported, really only exist on that local or carrier's switch. Porting in essense is really just an elaborate form of call forwarding. The number has to "land" somewhere. This is why ported numbers always take an extra fraction of a second or so to connect, you will hear a slight delay or stutter in the ring cycle, a break in cadence so to speak. Also ported numbers sometimes exhibit a slight loss in volume as they are being routed through an extra circuit before connecting.
    "So we went to Atari and said, 'Hey, we've got this amazing thing, even built with some of your parts, and what do you think about funding us? Or we'll give it to you. We just want to do it. Pay our salary, we'll come work for you.' And they said, 'No.' So then we went to Hewlett-Packard, and they said, 'Hey, we don't need you. You haven't got through college yet.'"

-Apple Computer Inc. founder Steve Jobs on attempts to get Atari and HP interested in his and Steve Wozniak's personal computer