Thread: alternative to TracFone's coverage in a different provider?

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Lyca
    Feedback Score

alternative to TracFone's coverage in a different provider?

Folks...I really, really like TracFone's coverage area (better than AT&T's own prepaid) but just can't take their oddball SIM policies and the stunning problems their customer (no)service people created for me when I tried their service.

The bottom line...is there another provider who sell me a SIM, TracFone's full AT&T coverage and time at about ten cents a minute?

thanks! Mike Nassour

Phones
    Motorola RAZR V3(Grey) , Motorola RAZR V3(Blue), Moto Cliq, Nokia 6030,Motorola C139,Motorola i305
    Palm Treo 600 Motorola M800 Bag Phone Nokia 3390b, SonyEricsson Z300a
    Kyocera 6035/Globalstar Qualcomm GSP-1600
    Carriers
    T-Mobile(Post),ATT, T-Mobile(Post)-internet device, Boost
    PagePlus/Globalstar-PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Mike the short answer is no. The Net10 gets you the price and coverage. Other carriers you can get the price but not the full coverage only the prepaid coverage.

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Lyca
    Feedback Score
    Wow....I wonder how that happened? Well, at least it answers my question, get a CDMA phone for daily service and Trac for out in the boonies. Who'd a thunk it.....a GSM provider for out of town and CDMA for the rest?

Feedback Score
    Tracfone has cdma too. It just depends on your geographic locations. If there is no gsm coverage in a given area or poor gsm coverage, Tracfone will have agreements with the predominant locally most powerful cdma carriers. It all varies from zip code to zip code.

The closest thing to your dream plan is Att Pick Your Plans.
    They have fuller coverage then regular Prepaid Gophone and some of their plans approach 10 cents a minute . Plus they offer unlimited m2m on all but their lowest priced plan and nights/weekends in varying degrees up to unlimited in their most expensive plan. Plus you can add data, and text packs.

But they have other caveats. No topups. Must be paid with debit. Newest sim has a six month simlock. Rates on higher priced plans are relatively expensive. 30 day expiration.

It is your call if it is worth the tradeoffs or not. It does hit your bottomlines: interchangeable sim (if you use the older blue/orange one and not the latest orange /white gophone sim as a substitute upon activation to avoid six month simlock). Rates approaching 10 cents a minute (close on their higher priced rates). Cover closer to regular postpaid.

But the other tradeoffs might be too high a cost.

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Lyca
    Feedback Score
    I can't imagine anything worse than the limited CDMA coverage I face with the Hell of Tracfone service.

Apparently, I live in a sea of AT&T GSM, at least as far as voice is concerned, here in Texas, and that's why Tracfone's GSM (at least the AT&T side) works so well. But I will check into that AT&T plan. I'd much rather have its service. So what I need to do is get the blue/orange sim from Ebay, right? I seem to remember something like that back when I was wandering through the AT&T forums a while back.

I don't have to have a phone that's unlocked...I just need to be able to move the sim from one phone to another.

LATER: Well, AT&T tells me that the $3/day plan would indeed give me full coverage. And they only want $25 every three months to keep the service up and running. That could definitely be where I go...it's a good possibility. Does anyone here have any warnings or other info about this relatively new plan?

Feedback Score
    I did a coverage map comparison and as predicted on Att coverage:
    Best to worst: 1)Postpaid 2)Pick Your Plan 3)Prepaid as you go Gophone.

Idk what the Att CS are saying that for. $3 a day plan is NOT full or even Pick your plan coverage. It is plain Jane/basic Pay as you Gophone coverage. The least of the three.

For $3 a day , you get unlimited talk. That is all. It is $3 on days used only.
    But the $60 unlimited talk/text/pic/video/im/intl text-100 nations is a better deal if you are going to be on it more days then 20 a month.

And you get more then just talk.

But it is still Gophone prepaid as you go coverage.

Neither unlimited plan is the higher level Pick Your Plan or even higher Post Paid level coverage.

Thought you should know.

If you need a sim that will move from one to another, the new orange /white gophone sim is most definitely out.

You could buy the gophone kit, activate the credit by putting in an old active sim. It is supposed to add the credit to that sim. Then toss the orange /white.

Or you can activate it on the orange/white sim, use the credit, go to a corporate store and ask for a free regular sim.

Or you can just buy the Blue/orange 3G fireball sim for Att/Cingular to being with. No credit , but it will not lock you down either.

The Pick your plans come in four sizes:
    $29.99 for 200 anytime minutes
    $39.99 for 300 anytime, unlimited m2m, 500 min/nights/weekends.
    $49.99 for 400 anytime, unlimited m2m, 3000 min/nts/weekends.
    $69.99 for 650 anytime, unltd m2m/nts/weekends.
    Rollover for all.
    Idk if you are in a special market but there are other versions of this plan.
    Depending on your zip including South Texas . No idea which part of that giant state you are in, so bringing it up.

$44.99: 450 anytime minutes/unltd m2m/5000 min nights/weekends
    $64.99: 900 anytime minutes/unltd m2m/nights/weekends.
    $84.99:1350 anytime/unltd m2m/nts/weekends.

These plans have a $25 activation fee if available.

All PYPs allow you to buy buckets of extra anytime minutes at your plans per minute rate increments of $15 and $25 if you run out of anytime minutes during the month.

However, some markets like mine, and others like Sacramento and Monterey Park California, the postpaid and Gophone coverage are identical. Then again, my state is tiny compared to Texas.

If Pay Go is the way to go for you, PYP would not be for you...$100 a year to keep a phone on is cheap compared to buying even the cheapest PYP plans for a year.
    Last edited by fonezfonz; 10-28-2009 at 12:50 PM.

Phones
    HTC Pro on Pageplus
    HTC S710
    Carriers
    BoostMobile,Airvoice,SimpleMobile
    H2O/O2wireless, PREPAY PIN distributor
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nassour
    Folks...I really, really like TracFone's coverage area (better than AT&T's own prepaid) but just can't take their oddball SIM policies and the stunning problems their customer (no)service people created for me when I tried their service.

The bottom line...is there another provider who sell me a SIM, TracFone's full AT&T coverage and time at about ten cents a minute?

thanks! Mike Nassour
    Try http://www.airvoicewireless.com/ .08 cents a minute

Phones
    Samsung T201G
    Motorola W376
    BlackBerry 8703e
    Carriers
    AT&T (Tracfone / Net10)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nassour
    I can't imagine anything worse than the limited CDMA coverage I face with the Hell of Tracfone service.

Apparently, I live in a sea of AT&T GSM, at least as far as voice is concerned, here in Texas, and that's why Tracfone's GSM (at least the AT&T side) works so well. But I will check into that AT&T plan. I'd much rather have its service. So what I need to do is get the blue/orange sim from Ebay, right? I seem to remember something like that back when I was wandering through the AT&T forums a while back.

I don't have to have a phone that's unlocked...I just need to be able to move the sim from one phone to another.

LATER: Well, AT&T tells me that the $3/day plan would indeed give me full coverage. And they only want $25 every three months to keep the service up and running. That could definitely be where I go...it's a good possibility. Does anyone here have any warnings or other info about this relatively new plan?

Unless you only use that phone only seven days in three months, it will cost you more than $25! If you need unlimited coverage they have a $60 monthly plan that may do you better.

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Lyca
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mharris127
    Unless you only use that phone only seven days in three months, it will cost you more than $25! If you need unlimited coverage they have a $60 monthly plan that may do you better.
    Well, that's pretty much what I need. It looks like Page Plus will do quite nicely around town, I just have some holes that I need to fill in when I travel.

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Lyca
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wirelesshelpers
    Try http://www.airvoicewireless.com/ .08 cents a minute
    Good thought, but its coverage map for my home state of Texas is strictly Go Phone only, about half of what you get w/Tracfone's AT&T-based coverage.