Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: No missed call, got voicemail instead

Phone
    Verizon Galaxy S4
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Question No missed call, got voicemail instead

Lately, my phone alerts me of a new voicemail but the phone doesn't show any missed call. The last time it occured like 5 seconds after I hung up. I confirmed call waiting was indeed working.

Anyone else experienced this? I don't know if it's the phone or related to the network.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WiredGuy
    Lately, my phone alerts me of a new voicemail but the phone doesn't show any missed call. The last time it occured like 5 seconds after I hung up. I confirmed call waiting was indeed working.

Anyone else experienced this? I don't know if it's the phone or related to the network.
    I've had it happen a few times over the last few years, the last time was from about 6 weeks to 4 weeks ago, was bugging the bejeezus out of me. It turned out that "somehow" VZW had set my VM forwarding time to 0 seconds, and there was no record of why it was set that way - odder yet was that only select calls were doing it, most of my calls were ringing through normally.

The tech "fixed" the issue and it's been fine since. Until next time...

Phones
    HTC ThunderBolt 4G/LTE
    LG XV8560 (Chocolate3)
    [3G] Network Extender (VZW femtocell) SWEET!
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WiredGuy

This a pretty routine in certain situations. One often overlooked situation is when the VZW (receiving) tower is at/near max voice capacity, another is when the sending tower (of any carrier) is at max capacity. Then there are always the times when for whatever reason the call does not have adaquate signal strength. This can be for only a couple of seconds on either end, but can result in dropping to VM.

Pretty routine, unless it starts happening all the time.

-Frank

Phone
    Verizon Galaxy S4
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    The caller said that it went straight to voicemail without any rings. This is the second time it happened in a week since switching to a new phone.

Phone
    iPhone 4[S]
    Carrier
    Cingular(#1) Verizon(crap) Tmobile(#2)
    Feedback Score
    This used to happen to me sometimes when i was on verizon. People would say they called me and even it would ring on their end but not on mine, no missed call. The only way I would know is when someone would leave a vm then it would pop up out of knowhere. For every time you receive a vm out of knowhere this problem has likely happened alot more times, its just that the person trying to reach you never left a vm so you will never know it happened. I tried several different phones and numerous call with tech support. There is nothing they can do. It is just a problem with the vzw network.

Phone
    iPhone 5s
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeL
    This used to happen to me sometimes when i was on verizon. People would say they called me and even it would ring on their end but not on mine, no missed call. The only way I would know is when someone would leave a vm then it would pop up out of knowhere. For every time you receive a vm out of knowhere this problem has likely happened alot more times, its just that the person trying to reach you never left a vm so you will never know it happened. I tried several different phones and numerous call with tech support. There is nothing they can do. It is just a problem with the vzw network.
    This happens to me A LOT! It's annoying when someone calls me and it rings on their end but not on mine but I'll NEVER know if someone ever called me unless they leave a voicemail.

I sometimes test this out by using my landline and calling my cellphone and it rings normally from my landline but my cellphone is dead silent.

I'm guessing it's a network issue.

Phones
    Droid A855 by Motorola; Blackberry Storm
    Samsung Omnia SCH-i910
    HTC Apache Brick of Doom Edition - retired
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    If it happens intermittantly it's most often a signal issue of some sort, if it happens every time its usually a VLR issue and tech support can reset that for you.
    The views and content on my threads and posts are solely those of myself. Verizon Wireless makes no guarantees about the content, factuality or the coverage of these statements! Neither myself or Verizon Wireless in any way whatsoever can be responsible for the appearance of any inaccurate or libelous information or for your use of the information contained in or linked from these web pages.

Phone
    iPhone 4[S]
    Carrier
    Cingular(#1) Verizon(crap) Tmobile(#2)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mobilecal
    I sometimes test this out by using my landline and calling my cellphone and it rings normally from my landline but my cellphone is dead silent.

I'm guessing it's a network issue.
    LOL. That really brought back some memories.(bad ones!) I used to do the same thing. Even in great coverage areas calls just don't always come through. I see you're in Southern CA. Any chance you're in san diego like me?

Yep its definitely a network issue and there is NOTHING that can be done about it. I tried everything.

Feedback Score
    My Motorola V325i does this on occasion. In my case it only happens when the phone has been charging. Calls go streight to vm, no rings. Making an outgoing call fixes it. As long as I make sure to always make a quick call after taking it off the charger I never have the problem.

In my case the problem seems related to the phone rather than the network since it didn't happen with any of my previous phones nor with my wife's phone but did happen with another V325i.

Phones
    Droid A855 by Motorola; Blackberry Storm
    Samsung Omnia SCH-i910
    HTC Apache Brick of Doom Edition - retired
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (RIM Storm 9530: BlackBerry9530/5.0.0.328 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Quote Originally Posted by nmos
    My Motorola V325i does this on occasion. In my case it only happens when the phone has been charging. Calls go streight to vm, no rings. Making an outgoing call fixes it. As long as I make sure to always make a quick call after taking it off the charger I never have the problem.

In my case the problem seems related to the phone rather than the network since it didn't happen with any of my previous phones nor with my wife's phone but did happen with another V325i.
    Yeah that's your phone deregistering while on the charger. Phone tells network it powered down and won't know better until you make a call out.

Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Happens to me several times a week, im beginning to hate Alltel,. I want the conversion to finish. and be off of alltels **** towers.

Phones
    Moto Droid (Me)
    Alias 2 (wife)
    Boulder (son)
    Carriers
    Verizon (since 2006);
    Feedback Score
    Well, basic troubleshooting question #1 - has your phone been continuously powered up for a few days (more than 48 hours)? If so, with your phone on, take the battery out, replace it back on, turn on the phone and your problem should be resolved. Think of the phone as a computer. If it slows down or acts weird, you reboot it, right? Anyway, in many instances that fixes it.

If someone forwards a voice mail to your number, your phone will not ring either. My wife and I have had to forward VM's earlier this year to each other because of buying a house and the realtor would only contact one of us and needed the other party to hear it, and it would just forward w/o ringing.
    I am no longer an employee of VZW, I left on good terms and still think VZW is the best network in the U.S. and most helpful CSR's in any industry.

God Bless our U.S. Military.

Phones
    Motorola W 385
    Nokia 2128i (back up)
    BT Headset Motorola H700
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    This happened only once to me and it was about 2 years ago. Caller stated it rang on his end, then he left a voicemail. Then I get a beep on my end and it turns out I have a voicemail but never received a call. The cell site getting maxed seems to explain my problem. But that's why I always tell everyone that calles me to leave a vociemail rather than just wait for me to call them back when I see a missed call.
    Disclaimer: Any posts I may start or reply to are my opinions only. I am not an engineer, sales consultant, or a wireless phone professional. I provide responses purely for discussion purposes. Always call your Carrier for accurate answers.

Phones
    Blackberry Storm/Motorola k1m
    Motorola i850
    Motorola v3xx
    Carriers
    Verizon;
    AT&..... I'm sorry, you faded out. Could you repeat that?
    Feedback Score
    This is why I'm really not a fan of the fake ring that Verizon plays while searching for your phone. It gives the caller the false impression that your phone is ringing and sometimes they do not leave a voicemail. T-Mobile, Nextel, and some Alltel switches do not use fake rings.

Phones
    Storm
    pin: 3048342A
    Carrier
    VERIZON
    Feedback Score
    This might be a solution that is fool proof. I use a blackberry and youmail.com. I have youmail set up to send me text messages for missed calls and vm. I think even with out a blackberry or pda phone you can still set up a youmail account. When ever you don't answer or miss a call your phone forwards to youmail fwhich act as your new voice mail box. Its awesome!!

btw I have had the same problems with missed calls that have never rang on my end but I get a text from youmail telling me I have a missed call and the number of the caller.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast