Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Worst prepaid wireless "deals"

Feedback Score

Worst prepaid wireless "deals"

We always put the best deals. Here are my votes for worst.

This is my own PERSONAL list. If you have others of your own, please feel free to add them.

Worst unlimited prepaid plan: Net10 Unlimited . $80 talk/text (sister Tracfone mvno has unlimited everything for $45 on the Verizon network vs. Net10's generally Att network).
    Dishonorable mention: Verizon prepaid at 3.99 per day. Days used only...yeah, but if you use it every day, you can get THREE Page Plus/Talkaway unlimited talk AND text accounts at $120. Oh yeah, they give you 60 megs of web for that price on PPC/TA too!

Worst per minute straight rate for prepaid paygo: Tie: Att and Verizon prepaid at 25 cents a minute. A buck goes fast at that rate.

Worst sliding scale pay per minute: Tie: Tracfone and T-mobile for their 33 cents a minute usage rate for their lowest priced $10 cards.
    A buck goes even faster at this rate.

The average per minute basic rate eight of the top prepaid providers is 21 cents a minute. Still pretty high.

Worst text rate: Tie again. Verizon/Att prepaid at 20 cents a text, incoming or outgoing. Another dollar eating rate.

Most overpriced hybrid plans: Att prepaid gophone/Pick your nos...uh Plans. (Don't forget the $25 activation fee and the fact you CAN'T use Gophone topups to pay for it!). Plans are from 2008 before the big prepaid explosion and they are still stuck in that era.

Lamest prepaid plan move: Eliminating MyFaves from T-mobile Flexpay monthly plans (okay, eliminating that from T-mobile, PERIOD.).
    A direct result of Project: Blech.

Lamest web options : Tie: Net10 and Tracfone .
    No full mobile web capabilities here, only what they will allow.
    But if you want to BUY something from us, it's okay! We WILL allow you there!

Lamest result of the prepaid unlimited wars: Not one prepaid per minute/text rate has gone down among the major carriers.

Greatest drop in CS quality in a prepaid: Page Plus Cellular. Hangups, half hour wait times, busy signals at ALL hours. Train that hundred new hires already, dammit!

Lamest Afee and fee...uh At&t moves of late.
    Orange/white sim card which locks the sim to the phone it is activated on for a full six months. Eliminating their Pay as you go rewards program.

Worst overall customer service. ALL of them. Lmao.
    Actually, the consistently worst in my experience are Any Tracfone company and Virgin Mobile. Unlike Page Plus though, they are consistent. At least PPC has bad US service not bad outsourced service. I keed, I keed.

Worst prepaid cliche: New Sprint mvno unlimited plan.

Most annoying call fee-ture: Daily access fees. Verizon prepaid is perfect for access fee lovers and other masochists.

Worst prepaid phone selection: Liberty Wireless. This little Sprint mvno has ONE sad little old Sanyo cdma flip phone. And no unlimited plans. Yet.

Worst international call rates:T-mobile : $1.60 a minute.

Feedback Score
    How about:

And most locked down networks? Virgin, Trac and Net10. No outside phone on their network and their phones are hard to get on other networks?

Worst coverage: Most mom and pop regional unlimiteds (Frawg wireless, Revol, etc.)

Most confusing naming scheme for an mvno: Locus. They have two billion subbrands of gsm and H2O cdma. Now they have an unlimited gsm name that uses the cdma brand name! lol

Feedback Score

Votes for worst wireless prepaid provider services.

How about worst web options: Try Air Voice and any Locus company. They have no web options. Wait, if your phone has wifi...

Worst thing about Sprint mvnos: There are so many of them and they generally have good rates but you are not allowed to use any Sprint phones , only their usually small and outdated selections available. I am not counting Sprint direct owned carrier, Boost cdma.

Worst feature carried over from postpaid plans: AT&T with activation fees on their Pick Your Plan hybrid prepaid packages.

Most irritating feature of certain prepaids: Not allowing payment with topup cards. Again , this award goes to AT&T Pick Your Plans which require take credit and debit cards only even though PYP is clearly marked GOPHONE.

Phones
    Lg G2X (Me)
    Samsung Flight -Girlfriend
    Nokia 2720 - Mom
    Carriers
    T-Mobile Monthly
    T-Mobile FlexPay
    Feedback Score
    I actually think that one of the worst for phone selection is STI Mobile. Their site is down for maintenance, but last time I knew, they still sold the LG 125, and hadn't added a new phone in almost 3 years.
    T-Mobile’s new marketing campaign for Vermont and Western New Hampshire:
    “Try T-Mobile’s blazingly fast GPRS data network. We’re faster than iDEN and TDMA combined!”

Feedback Score
    I went to STI. They have been updating for three whole days. I give them award for most inaccessible website for prepaid wireless.

Though , Simple Mobile and their prelaunch site gets a dishonorable mention. lol

Phones
    Lg G2X (Me)
    Samsung Flight -Girlfriend
    Nokia 2720 - Mom
    Carriers
    T-Mobile Monthly
    T-Mobile FlexPay
    Feedback Score
    I got to put XS PCS in the lame phones catagory as well.

http://www.xspcs.net/index.html

Don't know what penguins have to do with prepaid cell phones, either.

Alexandria, VA, where congresscritters go to behave badly
    Carrier
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Most inane restriction: inability to call toll-free numbers (Airvoice and H2O). Many people carry prepaid cell phones for emergencies, and many of the numbers that they have to call in emergencies are in toll-free area codes.
    If you lived in this signature, you'd be home by now.

Feedback Score
    Toll free numbers? That is true. Like AAA at 3am when your car breaks down.

Phones
    Moto W755
    LG VX-5500
    Carrier
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Whom
    Most inane restriction: inability to call toll-free numbers (Airvoice and H2O). Many people carry prepaid cell phones for emergencies, and many of the numbers that they have to call in emergencies are in toll-free area codes.
    Airvoice allows toll free according to their T&C:
    "You will be billed regular airtime charges for calls made to 800, 866, 877, 888 and all other toll free calls."

http://www.airvoicewireless.com/Expr...conditions.asp

Feedback Score
    Dr. Whom is referring to the new Unlimited plans from Air Voice Gsm and Locus gsm. They do not allow any 800,866, 877 or 888 numbers at ANY cost. The unlimited plans have separate sims and policies from the standard Air Voice Gsm and Locus Gsm pay go plans which the policy you show is referring to.

It just adds to the confusion.

Att unlimited talk/text is a better overall package.

Phones
    C510a, W610i
    W810i
    Nokia Shade
    Carriers
    AT&T-mobile;
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Here is another Lamest web options : IDT Túyo. Costs money to go into IDT walled garden store and look at the ringtone$ and app$ and game$ for sale there. Unless they have changed it, there is no other content but crap.

Phones
    Motorola i335
    IPhone 3G
    Sony Incognito
    Carriers
    Boost CDMA and IDen
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Whom
    What could the reasoning be for this? It doesn't cost them any more to connect these calls, does it?

I didn't think cell phone providers were allowed to restrict numbers. Sprint got in trouble for that when they restricted calls to those free numbers in the middle of nowhere that cost a lot per minute to connect to. There was a big deal about scaming by rural carriers a few years ago and then again when google voice stopped allowing calls to some of them.

Carriers
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    The worst prepaid providers are those that claim to have a product but are scams.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid
    The worst prepaid providers are those that claim to have a product but are scams.
    I put Eclipse Mobile and Simple mobile on my list next to yours. Until they get live reports of people actually using their products, might as well be a fairly tale.

Hofo Jibril down in FL has sims, but no confirmation on Simple working yet.
    I wish him luck.

A new addition to this list: Most underperforming Sprint Mvno which should be kicking all the other Sprint mvnos where it hurts but instead is languishing. Virgin Mobile.

Whether or not they have completely finished their merger with Sprint is besides the point. What is relevant is that EVERYBODY who is a Sprint mvno seems to be offering a BETTER deal then VM. For chrissakes, little bitty near forgotten one phone selection (till this week) mvno Libery Wireless actually got an unlimited talk/text/web plan and a moto q .

VM is on its Facebook site still talking about how great their completely surpassed $50 talk only plan is. Come on. Even Tmobile can equal it. And they have UNLIMITED data to boot. VM has no unlimited data at any price.

VM may end up being just like its new parent company. No clue and losing scads of subs. What a waste this merger has been so far. ONE new phone and thats it. Whoop de doo.

Phones
    Samsung T201G
    Motorola W376
    BlackBerry 8703e
    Carriers
    AT&T (Tracfone / Net10)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnlg
    What could the reasoning be for this? It doesn't cost them any more to connect these calls, does it?

I didn't think cell phone providers were allowed to restrict numbers. Sprint got in trouble for that when they restricted calls to those free numbers in the middle of nowhere that cost a lot per minute to connect to. There was a big deal about scaming by rural carriers a few years ago and then again when google voice stopped allowing calls to some of them.

They were attempting to restrict the use of 1-800 prepaid international calling cards so you had to pay their insane rates for outgoing international calls. I understand they relented and started allowing 1-800 calls last week.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast