Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: The Noob guide to Tracfone/Net10/Straight Talk/America Movil

Carrier(s)
    AT&T (cell)
    Feedback Score
    My mileage did vary, dragon, from yours.
    I transfered my number/minutes/time from my V170, to a new LG500G online,
    with no hitch... Only glitch I had was the new phone kept asking me to
    "insert sim". After getting that straightened out, the phone beeped
    and the transfer was complete. Of course I was only credited with minutes
    that were not doubled on the old phone....
    But you are correct.... in the past I have used CS, and it was difficult.
    It's sad that if you live in the US, where they must sell millions of phones/minutes,
    that when you have an issue, you can't get a CS rep in this country.
    I don't hear that well, and it was a chore..

(Still looking for help on transfering pictures to PC, BTW)

Carrier(s)
    Verizon evil Wireless
    Feedback Score
    is there a comparison matrix for the three considering various scenarios?

this bestbuy "guide" is disappointing

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Mobile-P...00050014&h=504

Device(s)
    LG900GHL
    Carrier(s)
    Net10 on ATT Sim card
    Feedback Score
    I tried having a little Tracfone Nokia ported over from an old analog phone, and got the number of some little girl who musta sent/got 1000 texts a day, and just as many calls. Little heifer burned off all my minutes in a half a day. They did give me back my minutes, but the new number they gave me never worked, finally they had to de-activate the phone, re-activate it, and give me a new number like it was a new phone. Don't port on Tracfone- just send everyone your new number. It's easier...

Which is why I tried Net10, only to find out they are really Travfone, but seem to have much better service, plus the phones are Simmed to AT&T, which usually works better than T-Mobile, which is what Tracfone runs on here. Only bad part is that the same probs that plague regular AT&T customers plague Net10- when they get busy, they choke back your speeds, sometimes even lose EDGE.
    But all in all, I've been very happy with my LG900 feature phone on Net 10. Then again, I'm an older guy and not used ti super-speed.
    Last edited by OnerousOne; 12-10-2011 at 03:31 AM. Reason: Spelling again!

Feedback Score
    OnerousOne,
    I'm not following your post. Tracfone failed to port your old Nokia phone #?

FYI, Tracfone's can be on the AT&T network too. Mine are and so are lots of other peoples.

Device(s)
    LG900GHL
    Carrier(s)
    Net10 on ATT Sim card
    Feedback Score

??

Tracfones are NOT on ATT here. I asked TracFone- they run on T-Mobile, and T-Mobile through Alltel which runs on ATT backbone, so they get choked back twice when ATT gets busy with it's own customers (assuming). Tracfone is always slower than Net10. Net 10 runs directly (SIM) to Net10, so Net10 gets at head of the line of waiting for ATT seconds on bandwidth when ATT gets busy. However, I have friends who have iPhone, Blackberry of ATT, and the same thing happens to them. PLUS, when you take an ATT phone next door (20 miles away) into the Verizon service area, they won't work at all- not even phone or text, not even 411 or 911. Lots folks here run on Sprint, but have to activate phone somewhere else & bring back here to use. Same with all other services. You cannot activate any service here except for ATT and those who run on ATT like Net10.
    Don't mean to pick on you, but these are FACTS HERE. Cheecked out. I don't know about other areas. I know ALL Tracfone products sold in nextdoor zipcode (Altus, OK) are on Verizon, because that's all they have there for Tracfone. Ours won't work there, and theirs won't work here. You buy a phone at either town, it won't activate in the other. Verizon doesn't use SIMS, ATT does. All I know, but know for sure. Based on experience. Bought a phone at Altus, and had to take it back, Walmart wouldn't refund on it because pkg had been opened, so I had to find someone to sell it to. Same for all Tracfone products.
    Also Android phones will not work here unless it's on ATT with Prepaid only. That is experience based as well- a friends.
    Last edited by OnerousOne; 12-11-2011 at 09:57 AM. Reason: add facts

Feedback Score
    OnerousOne,

Thanks for the details.

When I put in the ZIP code for Altus, Ok (73521) into the Tracfone website, it offers me only CDMA phones. Net10 offers CDMA and some others, but no LG900.

What does Tracfone recommend for you when you put your home ZIP code in this page. CDMA (phone ending with "C") or what?

Verizon's coverage map indicates solid coverage in your area - I zoomed out all the way to Texas.

From what I'm seeing on the Verizon coverage map, I don't understand why a Verizon CDMA phone cannot be activated and work in your town

The AT&T coverage map seems to have some holes (with partner coverage) in your area.

What model was you old analog Nokia Tracfone and the next Tracfone that you lost all the minutes on?

Device(s)
    LG900GHL
    Carrier(s)
    Net10 on ATT Sim card
    Feedback Score
    Okay, let me be clear. The PHONE and TEXT will work, data will not. I bought my LG900 via Net 10 website about 8 months ago. They nor sell it at Dollar General here at a$30 pricepoint. Everywhere BUT here has Android. Verizon has all Net10 and Tracfone in the 73521 zip code south of us. ATT has both here, except TracFone works on Alltel via ATT, while NET10 works directly on ATT via Alltel towers (yes, it's confusing to us as well...). And we are talking PREPAID phones only. You cannot look up ATT or Verizon coverage maps, because those aapply ONLY to regular cellphone plans and phones. The secret there seems to be you buy whatever kind of phone you want-iPhone, Android, Windows, whatever---somewhere else, and the phone will work here because the other companies PARTNER with ATT. Again that is one regular cellphones, not prepaid. I have prepaid on Net10. I can still make and receive calls and texts (roaming) whenever I leave my area code (73651), but the data will not work when the phone is roaming,so NO browser. Which sucks if that's why you wanted the phone. Otherwise, you just as well buy the cheapest burner phone you can get and be better off.

The old Nokia analog is a 2126, and I still use it--for an alarm clock, timer, and extended address book. It has had 3 minutes on it for 2 years now, and Tracfone keeps renewing that. The new number does not work on it, and never did.

I don't know what the CDMA has to do with it (I know what that is)-Sim card type. But take my word for it- it will not work for data when you cross that Verizon line.

AND on the regilar cells, what I said was you cannot ACTIVATE any phone here unless it is on ATT. I didn't say they wouldn't work (see above-buy them and activate elsewhere. Don't ask me WHY, i just know they won't.
    A Fool's Money Never Lasts

Device(s)
    LG900GHL
    Carrier(s)
    Net10 on ATT Sim card
    Feedback Score
    and, I did not get another Tracfone, just a new number and my minutes back on the old analog one. However, when they gave my number to that teen (or vice versa, whichever it was) and she burned all my minutes off, I gave up on Tracfone. Then when Net10 popped up here, I tried it rather than getting another Tracfone (wow, what a surprise--STILL Tracfone). But Net10 works a lot better here for some reason, and service seems to be better. With Tracfone, I never could get anyone who spoke English or understood enough of it to help me...

And Tracfone does not have any unlimited plans like Net10 does HERE. If you run data on minute cards (Tracfone method), it will cost you a fortune HERE.
    Caps for emphasis, not shouting, forgive Nettique violation!

Feedback Score

'Noob' question!!

On the LG800g, when a call has been connected, how does one pull up the keyboard on the screen to enter things like 'press one, press 2', etc.?

Feedback Score
    Anyone else having a problem ordering Net10 Sim, keep getting error messages, but it does charge my credit card, but no Net10 conformation or shipping?

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NextelConnected View Post
    Anyone else having a problem ordering Net10 Sim, keep getting error messages, but it does charge my credit card, but no Net10 conformation or shipping?
    They seem to have a problem when you use a shipping info different from the billing info. Try calling 305-715-6500

Device(s)
    N-76
    Carrier(s)
    AIS
    Feedback Score
    Hi,
    I have searched the FAQ and the forums, but have not seen an answer to my question (s). If I over looked them and they Have been answered, Apologies and please direct me to the proper posts. Thanks
    I am traveling from Thailand for a USA Visit. I have an UN locked Samsung GT-B55722 Phone, dual Sim. I have used it in the USA before and have in fact an old AT&T Sim card in hand..
    Can I use my old AT&T sim w/ a Straight Talk Plan (Unlimited) ?
    or must I order a Sim from ST?
    Will this phone work on ST? (The Samsung phone) using an ST Sim (If I must buy theirs) ?
    Is the ST website the only place I can purchase a sim for ST Plan? (Can I buy a Sim from WM?)
    I will not go into just now the trouble I have had trying to get answers from ST CS.. ugghhhh It exhausts me again just to think of it ;-)
    Thanks

Device(s)
    Moto G3 (Goodbye W376!)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, Freedompop, Tello
    Feedback Score
    You are more likely to get an answer if you post this in the Straight Talk forum. It is located under the same heading as this one - "US Prepaid/MVNO Discussion".
    My guess is that you need to purchase a SIM from Straight Talk.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GARVIN6600 View Post
    Hi,
    I have searched the FAQ and the forums, but have not seen an answer to my question (s). If I over looked them and they Have been answered, Apologies and please direct me to the proper posts. Thanks
    I am traveling from Thailand for a USA Visit. I have an UN locked Samsung GT-B55722 Phone, dual Sim. I have used it in the USA before and have in fact an old AT&T Sim card in hand..
    Can I use my old AT&T sim w/ a Straight Talk Plan (Unlimited) ?
    or must I order a Sim from ST?
    Will this phone work on ST? (The Samsung phone) using an ST Sim (If I must buy theirs) ?
    Is the ST website the only place I can purchase a sim for ST Plan? (Can I buy a Sim from WM?)
    I will not go into just now the trouble I have had trying to get answers from ST CS.. ugghhhh It exhausts me again just to think of it ;-)
    Thanks
    You need either a Straight Talk or Net10 BYOD SIM (main difference is where the airtime is sold). You must order it direct from their website, its use is too complicated for most people to be sold in stores. Order the AT&T or T-Mobile SIM depending on which matches your phones high speed data frequencies. You will need the 30 day Unlimited airtime.

Feedback Score
    I have been with Tracfone right since the start. They have come a long way since then and now there are even triple minute phones! I am not a heavy user and this is ideal for me

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast