Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: put safelink sim in a tracfone?

Feedback Score

put safelink sim in a tracfone?

can i take the sim out of my safelink phone and make it work in a tracfone or net10 phone? i tried it with a 3 yr old net 10 phone, a nokia cheepy, and it said "sim card rejected" or something to that effect. also same msg when putting the net10 "sim4" into the safelink phone. the safelink phone has a "time tank." someone please try it with a newer net10 phone or a tracfone. my reasoning is to try to get a nicer phone than the cheap phone they sent me. you have no choice of what phone safelink gives you. beggars arent choosers. the safelink phone has poor call quality, sounds like a you are talking thru a tin can. sounds like you are a long way down a tunnel.

Phones
    Lg G2X (Me)
    Samsung Flight -Girlfriend
    Nokia 2720 - Mom
    Carriers
    T-Mobile Monthly
    T-Mobile FlexPay
    Feedback Score
    Nope. The SIM is locked to the phone that it is in once the phone is powered on with the SIM card installed.
    T-Mobile’s new marketing campaign for Vermont and Western New Hampshire:
    “Try T-Mobile’s blazingly fast GPRS data network. We’re faster than iDEN and TDMA combined!”

Feedback Score
    so it might have worked if i had switched sims prior to turning on the phone?

Phones
    Lg G2X (Me)
    Nokia 2720 - Mom
    Carriers
    T-Mobile Monthly
    T-Mobile FlexPay
    Feedback Score
    Odds are, no. Yoiu could probably have used it in another Safelink phone, but not a Tracfone. Same goes for Trac and Net10 SIM cards. A card from one brand won't work in another brands phone, even if you've never had the card installed in a phone that's been powered on.

Feedback Score
    You Cannot Use Any Net10 Phones On Safelink But You Can Use Tracfone Phones. The Procedure Is The Same As For Net10 And Tracfone. You Call Safelink Customer Service (not Tracfone Or Net10 Cs) And They Send You A New Sim Card.

Safelink Sent Me A W175 (new Not Refurbished). I Called Safelink Cs And Told Them I Wanted To Transfer Service To My Existing W376. They Sent A New Sim. It Came In About Three Days. All Tracfone Minutes And Service Days Were Added Onto My Safelink Service. I Didn't Lose Any Tracfone Minutes.

Safelink Customer Service Answers Quickly, They Are Gracious And Speak Clear English, And At The End Of The Call They Thanked Me For Using Safelink. They Treated Me Exactly Like A Valued Customer.

After The Transfer To Safelink, The W376 Retained Its Dmfl. I Tested It With A $3/ 15 Minute Safelink Card Bought At Cvs. The 15 Minutes Doubled To 30. $3 For 30 Minutes Yields 10 Cents Per Minute, Exactly Matching Net10's Rates.

To Repeat, You Cannot Use Net10 Phones On Safelink But You Can Use Tracfone Phones On Safelink.

And Quit Badmouthing The Hand That Feeds You. Safelink Sends Out C139's Or W175's And There Are Many People Who Are Happily Paying Full Price To Use Those Phones.

Carrier
    PagePlus - No Dealer Required
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Sweeper
    Odds are, no. Yoiu could probably have used it in another Safelink phone, but not a Tracfone. Same goes for Trac and Net10 SIM cards. A card from one brand won't work in another brands phone, even if you've never had the card installed in a phone that's been powered on.
    Maybe I misunderstood. But if you are saying that a net10 sim cannot be used in a trac and vice versa, that is incorrect. It is possible to use a fresh trac sim in a net10 handset and vice versa. I have done so on several occasions.

Phones
    Lg G2X (Me)
    Nokia 2720 - Mom
    Carriers
    T-Mobile Monthly
    T-Mobile FlexPay
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tracnet
    Maybe I misunderstood. But if you are saying that a net10 sim cannot be used in a trac and vice versa, that is incorrect. It is possible to use a fresh trac sim in a net10 handset and vice versa. I have done so on several occasions.
    I stand corrected then.

Feedback Score
    Really? First time I ever heard this one. Net10 in a Trac and vice versa? I have to try this out. Buy the cheaper Tracfone version phone and order a Net10 sim . Thanks for the tip Tracnet. So it looks like Safelink, Tracfones and Net10 phone all can be interchangeable , at least to some extent. Theoretically , you could put any Tracfone, Safelink phone on the Net10 unlimited plan too if some of my other guesses are correct about what you mentioned (the ONE way these phones could ever get an unlimited plan, however pricey it might be).

And for all those Tracfone users clamoring for a qwerty text keyboard phone, they might be able to use their new Trac sims in the Net10 Samsung T401G.

Opens up a whole new world of possibilities by combining the individual strengths of each line. (Tracfone cheap phones, Net10, phones on available on Trac, unlimited plan, etc.)

It also opens up more questions . Do the airtanks mean that even with the new different sim , the Tracfone is STUCK with Trac rates, even with a Net10 sim and vice versa? And can a Tracfone cdma be activated on the Net10 side and vice versa?

And Safelink has GOOD customer service? You have to PAY for Tracfone/Net10 for their lousy CS and Safelink is free (except for overage minutes) and their CS is GOOD?
    Talk about the carriage before the horse. Wonder if Safelink CS is subsidized too.
    Last edited by Big Blue 023; 11-04-2009 at 10:00 AM.

Feedback Score
    They must have higher standards to meet if they want the government contract.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Blue 023

And Safelink has GOOD customer service? You have to PAY for Tracfone/Net10 for their lousy CS and Safelink is free (except for overage minutes) and their CS is GOOD?
    Talk about the carriage before the horse. Wonder if Safelink CS is subsidized too.
    SAFELINK HAS WONDERFUL CS. YOU ARE TREATED MORE LIKE A VIP THAN A SUBSIDIZED CUSTOMER.

I HAVE A FEELING SAFELINK MIGHT TURN OUT TO BE A CASH COW FOR TRACFONE AND THEY DON'T WANT TO DO ANYTHING TO JEOPARDIZE THAT.

ALSO SINCE SAFELINK IS A FEDERAL PROGRAM, SAFELINK MIGHT BE UNDER CONSTANT SCRUTINY TO PROVE COMPLIANCE. THAT MIGHT REQUIRE CS PERSONNEL TO UNDERGO MORE THOROUGH AND EXTENSIVE TRAINING.

Feedback Score
    Lol. I just find it funny that Safelink has better customer service. Maybe we should get the govt. to watch those clowns at Tracfone/Net10 CS too, There are so many complaints about Tracfone/N10 service. Oh wait, they are overseas. Darn.

So, Tracnet says that Net10 and Tracfone sims are interchangeable between the phones if activated within the others phone.And Annepani is saying that Tracfone and Safelink are interchangeable but not with Net10.

So, it stands to reason that Tracfone phones are the common denominator here.
    It would be awesome to be able to use Net10 cards on the cheaper Trac version of that phone if the rate is maintained (As the Net10 version phone can generally be more expensive) . It would really be nuts if the Net10 minutes inserted got turned into Double Minutes for Life if that Tracfone that the Net10 sim is being activated had such. 10 cents a minute would be a nickel.

We have all seen all kinds of quirks in the Tracfone family like the Straight Talk phones allowing rollover on the 1000 minute plan allowing mobile to moble with Verizon customers so really, anything could be possible with a crazy combo like Net10 sims in Tracfones and Vice versa.

Carriers
    Tracfone, Net10
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Really? First time I ever heard this one. Net10 in a Trac and vice versa? I have to try this out. Buy the cheaper Tracfone version phone and order a Net10 sim . Thanks for the tip Tracnet. So it looks like Safelink, Tracfones and Net10 phone all can be interchangeable , at least to some extent. Theoretically , you could put any Tracfone, Safelink phone on the Net10 unlimited plan too if some of my other guesses are correct about what you mentioned (the ONE way these phones could ever get an unlimited plan, however pricey it might be).

And for all those Tracfone users clamoring for a qwerty text keyboard phone, they might be able to use their new Trac sims in the Net10 Samsung T401G.

Opens up a whole new world of possibilities by combining the individual strengths of each line. (Tracfone cheap phones, Net10, phones on available on Trac, unlimited plan, etc.)

It also opens up more questions . Do the airtanks mean that even with the new different sim , the Tracfone is STUCK with Trac rates, even with a Net10 sim and vice versa? And can a Tracfone cdma be activated on the Net10 side and vice versa?
    The Net10 and Tracfone phones are not interchangeable. A phone purchased for Net10 can only be used on Net10. Tracfone phones can ony be used on Tracfone and Safelink. (I believe I've read that tracfone airtime cards can be used on Safelink phones too)

Unactivated tracfone and net10 sim cards are interchangable. The SIM card doesn't hold any programming for rates, but it is locked to a carrier (T5=tmobile or C4=ATT) Once activated, the SIM is totaly locked to that particular phone. In fact, in some cases at least, the SIM gets locked to the phone at the first power on, this may depend on the phone model.

Still another complication is that SIMs packaged in retail phones may be tied to that physical phone in TF's database even though the phone hasn't been powered on or activated yet. This can lead to odd problems in activaton that tend to highly confuse their CSRs. (Eventually they straighten things out).

SIMS that come with refurbished phones probably still don't have that issue, it seems like they can be freely swapped.

Other than Tracfone and Safelink, the airtime cards are not interchangeable, A Tracfone will not take a Net10 airtime card and vice versa.

Carrier
    PagePlus - No Dealer Required
    Feedback Score

Actually I believe you may be reading more into this than there really is. You can use a sim from either trac or net10 in the others handset providing it has not been used before. However it does nothing to change the handset from a trac to a net10 or vice versa. The net10 will still be a net10 and the trac will still be a trac regardless of what the sim was intended for. Being a trac or net10 is determined by the s/n of the handset and which database has it as an authorized fone. The sim has nothing to do with determining if it is a net10 or trac. I wasn't trying to be misleading. I was simply pointing out that you can interchange the sims if they have never been used.

EDIT: Ooops......Took me a bit to post this and Mosaic55 posted nearly the same info shortly before I did. I concur!

Feedback Score
    Yeah. Bummers. Was a great ten minutes though thinking that Tracfone was giving us a possible free lunch . Lol.

But I stand behind my previous statement, we have seen some quirky things in the Tracfone family of carriers happen before. The refurb phone, interchangeable sim thing sounds interesting but I am calm now. Lol.

No more breathing from the Tracfone airtank!

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by annepani
    You Cannot Use Any Net10 Phones On Safelink But You Can Use Tracfone Phones. The Procedure Is The Same As For Net10 And Tracfone. You Call Safelink Customer Service (not Tracfone Or Net10 Cs) And They Send You A New Sim Card.

Safelink Sent Me A W175 (new Not Refurbished). I Called Safelink Cs And Told Them I Wanted To Transfer Service To My Existing W376. They Sent A New Sim. It Came In About Three Days. All Tracfone Minutes And Service Days Were Added Onto My Safelink Service. I Didn't Lose Any Tracfone Minutes.

Safelink Customer Service Answers Quickly, They Are Gracious And Speak Clear English, And At The End Of The Call They Thanked Me For Using Safelink. They Treated Me Exactly Like A Valued Customer.

After The Transfer To Safelink, The W376 Retained Its Dmfl. I Tested It With A $3/ 15 Minute Safelink Card Bought At Cvs. The 15 Minutes Doubled To 30. $3 For 30 Minutes Yields 10 Cents Per Minute, Exactly Matching Net10's Rates.

To Repeat, You Cannot Use Net10 Phones On Safelink But You Can Use Tracfone Phones On Safelink.

And Quit Badmouthing The Hand That Feeds You. Safelink Sends Out C139's Or W175's And There Are Many People Who Are Happily Paying Full Price To Use Those Phones.
    So you are saying you had a Tracfone branded phone with DMFL and Safelink CS converted it into a Safelink phone with DMFL. Does it receive the free minutes monthly that the W175 was receiving and doubles them. Did CS send a Safelink label to stick over the Trackfone label, so as to avoid confusion in the future? What is the status of the W175? First time I have heard of a Safelink airtime card? I thought Safelink phones took Tracfone airtime cards, if the free monthly minutes were not enough.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast