Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: put safelink sim in a tracfone?

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    I have been on the phone with Safelink for the Past 3 days. ive called them all told about 6times because I wanna transfer my Safelink plan to a Moto w376g I just got at Kmart. They Told me on my last call that it cannot be done. They have also deactivated my sim from my original safelink phone and transferred my number onto the w376g. So now I have a dead safelink Phone, and a Active w376g with no Minutes on it! AHHH!!!

Carriers
    Tracfone, Net10
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    email the guy in post #1 of this thread http://howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1599290

Phones
    w370
    LG 200C
    Kyocera 126C
    Carriers
    Net10
    Feedback Score
    When the Safelink program was first announced they said that existing Tracfone users that qualified for the Safelink program would have the option of keeping their existing phone and phone number to use with Safelink.

Once the program was initiated that all changed. Safelink phones are sent preactivated and there is no option to use your existing Tracfone handset or the phone number.

Changing the Safelink service to another phone is something that would have to happen after the service is active, as it did for annepani. But I would not recognize it as a common practice that would be possible for everyone. And the doubling of Safelink airtime is surely not meant to be since all Safelink airtime is suppose to be 20 cents per minute as outlined in the plan proposal to the government. That is why Tracfone cards add the extra minutes to make it 20 cents.

We know that Tracfone monitors these forums so this practice could end before it gets started.

This article mentions the 20 cents per minute rate established for the program. I couldn't find the other article I was looking for.
    There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.George Carlin

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Just a quick update. after 9 Calls!, and about 3 hours on the phone all told, My original minutes from my safelink phone and my number is now ported and my safelink program has now been added to my new w376g. Goodness! LOL! I guess thats the price ya pay for free service and minutes.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Andman433
    Just a quick update. after 9 Calls!, and about 3 hours on the phone all told, My original minutes from my safelink phone and my number is now ported and my safelink program has now been added to my new w376g. Goodness! LOL! I guess thats the price ya pay for free service and minutes.
    When my SafeLink W175 minutes and service got transferred onto my Tracfone W376 (thereby converting it to a Safelink W376), all minutes and service days from both services were preserved, the whole thing took 2 phone calls to SafeLink CS and about 30 minutes total: the first short call to SafeLink to send a new sim for the W376 and the second longer call (20 mins) for the transfer of SafeLink minutes, expiration date and phone number onto the Tracfone W376. I lost the Tracfone number but kept the hundreds of Tracfone minutes and the few service days that were already on there.

A couple of things to note:
    1 - I dealt only with SafeLink CS. Tracfone was never in the picture.
    2 - My Tracfone was already an active phone with an active phone number. As jimates has commented, this may make for an easier transition.
    3 - I did this about a year ago, December 2008. Things may have changed since then. But I spoke to SafeLink CS as recently as a month or two ago, when HoFo hearts were all aflutter with buzz of the Net10 Samsungs 401 and 451, to ask them if I could transfer service onto a Net10 phone. They were as crisp, competent, courteous and professional as they were a year ago.

They said no, no Net10, but if I wanted a phone with more features, I might want to consider a Tracfone Samsung T301g and encouraged me to call them back at any time and they would be happy to assist with the transfer. As with previous calls they ended by thanking me for choosing SafeLink.

Incidentally, it was this most recent call that reconfirmed for me that SafeLink has very little to do with Tracfone. The SafeLink CS rep didn't even know what phones Tracfone uses. He had to put me on hold and look it up before coming back on the line with the recommendation of the Samsung T301g.

Another difference in my SafeLink transfer experience may be because I am an experienced Tracfone user and I knew what to expect before making the call: don't put the sim in and turn the phone on until instructed to do so, have the battery cover already removed in case it sticks or is difficult, have tweezers ready in case the old sim is difficult to dislodge, have all the sim numbers, serial numbers, phone numbers, minutes and days blah blah for each phone written down, etc. Also, call from a landline, have the ac adapter for each phone identified and nearby so you can reach for it in a hurry if you need it, be near an electrical outlet, have plenty of good lighting and free desk space. Everything experienced Tracfoners have come to anticipate.

All this to say, Glad your SafeLink transfer finally got done. Hope you enjoy it.

annepani

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    well, after all the aggrivation and everything, I hope this is it and all is good. Only concern I have is when they ported my minutes over, they didnt change the expiration date. I would hope and assume that when the minutes are added at the beginning of the month that the date will change as well. Also kinda interesting, I didnt have to get a new sim card, well, actually I did , but not for that.. Lemmie run down the calls....
    -Called to switch safelink service to 376g and port number. Was told safelink couldnt be added until number porting was complate, up to 72 hours.
    -After Number was successfully ported, called to add safelink service. CS Rep "He would be happy to do that" He had me enter a series of codes in which put 10 units on phone. He then instructed me that the safelink service would automatically port over and all minutes and days would move to 376g within 72 hours...
    -Never happened...
    -Called back. Spoke to a cs about the switch and he told me that The safelink service could not be transferred. At this point Im fuming. I said can I reactivate my original safelink phone. He said a new sim card would be sent out...
    -2 days later, sim card received via fedex. Put in old safelink phone, it reads sim rejected. Call cs back on a last ditch effort to move my safelink service to 376g. CS rep asked me how many minutes were on phone, I told him 110. He "Updates his Information" and adds 100 minutes to phone and asks me if he could d3o anything else for me. I said YES! Add Safelink Program to this Phone!!!!! He Finally takes my enrollment id, I wait 10 minutes while he "Updates his system", he then says safelink has been added to this phone and automatic minutes will be received each month.
    -Thus it ends. Safelink phone now has 107 Minutes, Hopefully it will auto add at the end of the month and my cs Tracfone Nightmare is over... At least for now. We'll see at the end of the month...

Feedback Score
    Tracfone + CS= Nightmare experience. Period.

Elston and Executive Resolutions are the only way to go.

Feedback Score

Unhappy Charger

Does anyone know where I can get a charger for my safelink phone I got the lg model I cannot find the charger anywhere for sale I lost my original one.

Carriers
    Tracfone, Net10
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Which LG is it?

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by detroitdude
    Does anyone know where I can get a charger for my safelink phone I got the lg model I cannot find the charger anywhere for sale I lost my original one.
    Most batteries are the same voltage so most chargers would work if the tip fits your phones socket. The universal accessory kits all contain the same car charger, you just attach the correct tip to fit your brand & model phone.

Phones
    LG290C
    Nokia 2126i (until dog ate it)
    Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Does Safelink support the Tracfone LG290C? Can I purchase Tracfone cards to add minutes? If my phone came with DMFL will Safelink minutes double?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by stp2128
    Does Safelink support the Tracfone LG290C? Can I purchase Tracfone cards to add minutes? If my phone came with DMFL will Safelink minutes double?
    I believe you can use any Tracfone phone on Safelink service. You cannot use a Net10 phone. You must also keep the phone number Safelink assigned you.

I switched from the moto W175g that Safelink sent me to my preexisting moto W376g with several hundred Tacfone minutes on it. They are both gsm phones and the 376 has DMFL. I had to give up my Tracfone number and the Safelink number got switched onto the 376. The Safelink minutes got added onto the Tracfone minutes that were already on the 376.

The LG 290c is cdma. Is the phone that Safelink sent you also cdma? I ask because if Safelink originally sent you a gsm phone (ATT or T-mo) and you are trying to switch to a cdma phone (Verizon), that may actually be a port and may not be doable. Best to contact Safelink CS, not Tracfone CS, and ask if that is the case.

The free minutes that Safelink gives every month do not double. Only the minutes you purchase double.

I purchased a Safelink card, not a Tracfone card. Safelink cards are yellow with a sunburst logo. Jimates is a frequent and knowledgeable poster here and he thinks that Tracfone cards may not double.

Hope all goes smoothly for you and welcome to Safelink.

Phones
    LG290C
    Nokia 2126i (until dog ate it)
    Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for your reply. I will call SafeLink at 1-800-378-1684.

Phone
    LG 840g.
    Carrier
    Safelink
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by annepani
    I believe you can use any Tracfone phone on Safelink service. You cannot use a Net10 phone. You must also keep the phone number Safelink assigned you.
    I believe for all intents and purposes, Safelink (GSM) = Tracfone (GSM) if you want to transfer your service between phones (Still need to call Safelink, though)

Feedback Score
    i emailed safelink they say i can buy any tracfone and transfer my safelink minutes to it. then i read these horror stories about customer service. i have experienced this horror with my straighttalk phone. so should i risk this transfer? what is the chance it will actually work without hours of frustration with customer service. if the chances are low, i'll stick with my crappy lg300g. i dont want this transfer to mess up my safelink service. Andman, please update on the status of your phone, did the minutes auto add on the correct date? were you succesful in transferring your safelink service to your 376g? if so, was it worth the frustration?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast