Thread: how do you tell if phone is turned off?

Phones
    t610 with t630 housing
    v690..but it died.
    nokia 8860--died in south beach
    Carriers
    tmobile
    Feedback Score

how do you tell if phone is turned off?

Is there another way to tell that the person your calling has their phone turned off? All I know is that if it is off, it will not ring and go straight to the voicemail......is there another way? like ring pattern?

Phones
    Apple iPhone 3G S
    BB Bold 9000, BB Curve 8310 (Crimson), BB Curve 8300, BB Pearl (Red)
    Samsung D807 (White),MOTORAZR V3xx, Motorola L6, Samsung SGH-D407, Samsung C417, Sony Ericsson W600i
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    i don't think there's any other way.. the phone doesn't ring at all if it's off, so a ring pattern is not possible

Phones
    Nokia 3650
    Samsung A530
    Carriers
    AT&T Wireless GSM
    Feedback Score
    Some phones ring even when powered off... at least my ATT GSM ones in MA do.

Phones
    Nokia n80ie (bronze)
    Nokia 6600 (spare)
    Nokia 6610 (int'l roaming)
    Carriers
    T-Mobile,
    Verizon (work)
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by globalgroup2003
    Some phones ring even when powered off
    Same with T-Mobile, at least mine does.

Phones
    Apple iPhone 3G S
    BB Bold 9000, BB Curve 8310 (Crimson), BB Curve 8300, BB Pearl (Red)
    Samsung D807 (White),MOTORAZR V3xx, Motorola L6, Samsung SGH-D407, Samsung C417, Sony Ericsson W600i
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    wow i didn't know that

Phones
    BlackBerry Bold, Apple iPhone
    SE W580i, HP iPAQ h6325
    SE W600i, Nokia 6230b
    Carrier
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    For Rogers, it goes "Rogers AT&T Wireless... the customer you are calling is unavailable at the moment... please try again later."

Phones
    iPhone 3GS
    iPhone 3G
    Nokia 6230
    Carrier
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    From my experience, if you get a response/voicemail right away, the phone is off. It communicated to the network that it was "leaving."

If a phone goes out of range, it doesn't get a chance to say "good bye" so the network spends a few seconds searching for it before you get a response/voicemail.
    "Connecting People"--Nokia
    www.ccsgraphic.com

Phones
    Nokia 3650
    Samsung A530
    Carriers
    AT&T Wireless GSM
    Feedback Score
    I figured it was something like that because of my roaming experience w/ a prepaid SIM in China... China Mobile seems to be the only carrier that differientiates between out of coverage and off... there are two seperate messages 1. " The subscriber is out of coverage area" or "the subscriber is power off!"

It was sortof nice to no if the person powered off or was out of coverage... It would be helpful to have in the USA.

Feedback Score
    Originally posted by globalgroup2003
    I figured it was something like that because of my roaming experience w/ a prepaid SIM in China... China Mobile seems to be the only carrier that differientiates between out of coverage and off... there are two seperate messages 1. " The subscriber is out of coverage area" or "the subscriber is power off!"

It was sortof nice to no if the person powered off or was out of coverage... It would be helpful to have in the USA.
    When I was in Taiwan, they had messages like that too, except they had more of them. They had one to tell you you're connecting as call-waiting. Message to tell you if the person declined your call. Of course, they also had the "out of coverage" and "power off" message. I found them to be really useful (unless you're on the other end and you're trying to dodge calls).