Thread: GPS and data usage

Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score

GPS and data usage

I am new to the GPS in my phone. If I use the GPS locator and google map or connect to A-GPS, does Rogers count these as data usage?

Phone
    Nexus 5
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    GPS alone does not use data, as it's just receiving signals from satellites. A-GPS uses data to speed up the GPS lock, by downloading data from a server instead of waiting for the satellites to transmit it. However, if you have no data connection, it will fall back to GPS.

Google Maps uses data to download the maps on the fly. This is where you will be using your data. Not in locating yourself, but in downloading the maps.
    Coverage Mapper - A crowd sourced cellular signal strength mapping application
    Download from the Google Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...CoverageMapper.
    http://www.coveragemapper.com

The opinions stated here are my own, not necessarily those of my employer.

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Do Blackberry Maps use data as well?

Feedback Score
    any maps that downloaded everytime use data. Only programs where you have downloaded a map for a fee permanently will not use data the next time.

Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    blackberry maps is a joke! Google Maps/Latitude is 100X better, IMHO! (first time IMHO'r)
    Koodo Canada-Wide Super 6GB ($60):
    250 Weekday, Unlimited Incoming, Evenings/Weekends@ 5pm, Unlimited text & picture, VM & Caller ID