Thread: Used Verizon phone- how to check blacklist?

Phone
    HTC Evo
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

Used Verizon phone- how to check blacklist?

So the title pretty much says it all...

I'm thinking about buying a used Verizon phone. How can I check to make sure it isn't blacklisted or whatever?

Feedback Score
    Best way is to call VZW and ask them to check that it's not listed as lost/stolen and isn't currently associated with some account with balance due on it. Alternatively I think if you have the phone's ESN/MEID you can potentially try to activate it on your line yourself using that feature in My Account on VZW's web site (and then switch back to the phone you have)--if it activates fine, then it should be in the clear.

Phones
    Droid Incredible
    Moto Droid(Sold)
    Blackberry Tour(Sold)
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    If you have the ESN, those like myself in Tech can check the ESN against both a Non-Pay list and a lost stolen list... as well as making sure its not on another account.

Phones
    Motorola ATRIX 2
    Verizon iPhone 4S (Wife's)
    Carriers
    Straight Talk, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    The best thing to do is before paying the buyer Dial *228 option 3 on the phone you are buying and go through the steps to activate it.

I called VZW a few weeks ago and was told the phone I was interested in purchasing off CL was clean. So I met the kid one day after work & dialed *228 option 3 on the phone to activate it before purchasing. The phone would not activate. The message stated it was active on another line. I was glad VZW now has the OTA activation available. Saved me a whole lot of hassle.

Phone
    HTC Evo
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Does that *228 option 3 work if you don't have Verizon? I don't have Verizon. I'm just looking for a Verizon phone so I can activate it on Page Plus and give it to one of my friends...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SaltyDawg
    Does that *228 option 3 work if you don't have Verizon? I don't have Verizon. I'm just looking for a Verizon phone so I can activate it on Page Plus and give it to one of my friends...
    If you are going to activate it on another carrier then you really don't need to check it with VZW--as I recall, even if it's blacklisted with VZW it means basically nothing with another carrier like Page Plus since these lists are not exactly universal/shared. If anything you would probably want to check with Page Plus, but I don't even think they have something like blacklisting.

Phone
    HTC Evo
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C DM
    If you are going to activate it on another carrier then you really don't need to check it with VZW--as I recall, even if it's blacklisted with VZW it means basically nothing with another carrier like Page Plus since these lists are not exactly universal/shared. If anything you would probably want to check with Page Plus, but I don't even think they have something like blacklisting.
    My understanding from the Page Plus board is if the phone is blacklisted on Verizon it won't work.