Page 1 of 82 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorola DROID FAQ & Tips-and-Tricks. Post your questions and tip here.

Device(s)
    S8, G5, Samsung Note 4 DE, Note 3, Moto DROID Bionic, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T PrePaid (GoPhone)
    Feedback Score

Lightbulb Motorola DROID FAQ & Tips-and-Tricks. Post your questions and tip here.

Use this thread to post questions, answers, and tips about using the Motorola Droid. Such as "How do I Sync contacts" or "Here's a suggestion..."

-----------------
    Updated:

Going into the programming menu:
    Dial ##PROGRAM, send, enter 000000, Verify

1-For pictures, they'd go best in the DCIM folder. Inside that you can keep your images organized however you want and they'll retain that organization in your "Gallery" folder.
    2-For music, you can put them wherever you want (I made a "music" folder).
    3-To set any audio file as a ringtone, open it in the "Music" player and push the menu button. You'll have an option to set it as a ringtone.
    4-If you want custom "notifications" (for MMS/SMS/E-Mail) you'll need to create a "notifications" folder and drop the audio files in there. They'll then show up on the list in your settings.

--------------------

Home Screen icons
    Press and hold on screen to add icons, shortcuts, widgets or to remove them b dragging to trash at the bottom.

Application Switcher
    Press and hold on the Home button

Speed Dial tip
    http://howardforums.com/showpost.php...74&postcount=7

Battery tips
    http://howardforums.com/showpost.php...2&postcount=24

Message Alert Tones
    http://howardforums.com/showpost.php...5&postcount=26

Setting up Yahoo!
    http://howardforums.com/showpost.php...6&postcount=95

Adding Folders
    http://howardforums.com/showpost.php...&postcount=108

SDcard setup for file locations
    http://howardforums.com/showpost.php...&postcount=180

Assign ringtone to contact
    http://howardforums.com/showpost.php...&postcount=210

SMS/MSS to Email
    http://howardforums.com/showpost.php...&postcount=211

Change voicemail *86
    http://howardforums.com/showpost.php...&postcount=237

------------------------------------

For those of you haveing MMS problems: I was in the same boat earlier today (when I tried to send one for the first time). I could receive but not send. I called VZW tech support and ended up figuring out the problem for him...LOL.

For some reason I was able to send him a MMS but none of my contacts. That was the connection. My contacts as exported through Gmail from Windows mobile had a number format like 1(123) 123-1234. They worked fine for calling and text messaging so you'd think they'd work for MMS too Right? Nope.

I picked up on this because I put in the verizon tech support guys number like 1231231234. After deleting one of my contacts and entering the number in like this.....it still didn't work....for some reason the phone remembered that it HAD been a contact. After clearing the message thread and restarting the phone IT WORKED.

So to get your MMS working, give this a try.

1. Delete any saved message thread, including SMS ones, for the contatct you would like to try to MMS.
    2. Then go to edit your contacts phonenumber. Just enter the 10 digit number whout a leading 1 and without any parenthesis....let the phone put the dashes in for you.
    3. (if you didn't have to delete a previous thread skip this step) restart your phone.
    4. Try MMS.

It worked for me and now I'm going back through all my contacts to fix the number format on all of them.

------------------

Here is what worked for me, but we are a small business with an Exchange 2003 server:

Domain\Username: abc-corp\jsmith (server domain plus my server username)
    Password: ******* (server password)
    Exchange Server: mail.abc-corp.com (after trying a few things that didn't work I gave up and simply directed it to mail at our domain and then the emails started rolling in)

It was seriously so easy that it only took me a couple of hours to realize it with the help of this thread. I was unable to get in contact with our outside IT people today and the new phone-itis was driving me crazy. Hopefully, you will find your work around soon.
    Last edited by FAUguy; 11-10-2009 at 02:34 PM.
    =>Why did I leave Verizon Wireless after 18 years? Find out here: Leaving Verizon after 18 years!

=> Read my reviews for the Motorola DROID MAXX, DROID Ultra, and DROID Mini.

=> VX8000 at Disney World:Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4.

Device(s)
    Anything Android
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Is there a way, similar to BIS, to filter messages to be sent by Exchange OWA? I get emails every 15 minutes with production reports. I don't want these delivered to my Droid. Any help?

*edit*
    I found a work around for this that may be common knowledge (or not). I set up an OWA rule to move the reports email into a folder when it arrives. This seems to have stopped the push to my Inbox but I can still manually sync it up in the Folders view. This new folder was not a sub-folder of Inbox, so YMMV.

So many of these little issues will just be the adjustment to how Android does stuff, but I have to admit, I love this phone so far.
    Last edited by carpecervisi; 11-06-2009 at 08:33 AM.

Device(s)
    Samsung i730
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    can't setup bellsouth webmail to be pushed to device...giving me "setup could not finish" unable to open connection to server...anybody else?
    "Visualizin the realism of life and actuality"

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Just got my Droid! So I'm trying to setup email for my school account, they don't have outgoing email (SMTP), does verizon have an email server that I can use to send mail through?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PWiddy
    can't setup bellsouth webmail to be pushed to device...giving me "setup could not finish" unable to open connection to server...anybody else?

You will need to change the SMTP port number to 25 instead of the 587 that is in the blank by default.

Device(s)
    V710 (september 30)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    What is the best messaging app to use? SO far, I have had a message in a thread with my wife sent to my sister (which I could see being weird in the future! haha), and the message app has also froze on me twice. Anyone else having these issues and if so is there a third party app that is much better? Thanks.

Device(s)
    Bionic, Thunderbolt, iPhone4, Droid X, Incredible, Droid, Devour, Omnia II, Tour, Storm, Curve,
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.0; en-us; Droid Build/ESD20) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

A tip:

At first, I was a little disappointed that there doesn't seem to be a way to add speed dials for those contacts I call most often. "1" is speed dial for Voice Mail, but I can't find a way to add others.

A neat feature I just discovered is a great work-around:

If you aren't using all of the 3 home screens for shortcuts, you can hold down on one until you get the "Add to Home screen" popup.

Click on Shortcuts, and then click on Direct dial.

It will take you to your contact list, where you can select any number for any contact. (Notice your contacts will be listed as many times as they have numbers.)

An icon will then be on your home screen which, when touched, will speed dial that number.

I have set the entire left window of the home screen for Direct dial icons. 4 rows x 4 columns = 16 speed dials.

(If you are one who uses messaging more, you can also set Direct message icons the same way.)
    Member, Verizon Wireless Customer Council

Device(s)
    S8, G5, Samsung Note 4 DE, Note 3, Moto DROID Bionic, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Here's how to get into the Service Programming Menu:
    At the dial-pad, enter ##PROGRAM and Send.
    Press on the password box and enter 000000, select Verify.

Under "Vocode" you have 13K, EVCR and EVCR-B.
    The EVCR is selected by default, but I changed it to EVCR-B, calls sound a little better to me.

In the "Mobile P_REV" you can change from REV_6 to 4, 3, and 1.
    Select 3 or 1 to turn off EVDO data.

In "Test Mode" select Enable and see different testing screens with info.

Feedback Score
    A good way to get your windows mobile contacts onto you droid is by syncing with your computer to outlook and then export to file Coma Seperated Value (.csv) file and export your contacts. Then log into your gmail account that is tied to your phone and and go to contacts and import the .csv file you just made. You will see all your contacts now and all you have to do then is put all the ones you want to go to your phone in the "Starred in Android" group and then sync your phone to your droid and click settings-->Accounts & sync--> manage account "click your gmail account"--> then double click "sync Contacts"

Feedback Score
    i cannot get my microsoft outlook email on my droid

what are the steps i need to do? I dont see ports anywhere and i also dont see anything about stmp..

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuuth
    A tip:

At first, I was a little disappointed that there doesn't seem to be a way to add speed dials for those contacts I call most often. "1" is speed dial for Voice Mail, but I can't find a way to add others.
    I noticed this as well, and would like have speed dials, than placing everyone's direct-dial link on a homescreen.

Device(s)
    Samsung i730
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blue02ws6
    You will need to change the SMTP port number to 25 instead of the 587 that is in the blank by default.
    hmm got the incoming to work..had to use mail.bellsouth.net instead of bellsouth.net...but the outgoing even @ 25 won't work...

Device(s)
    Bionic, Thunderbolt, iPhone4, Droid X, Incredible, Droid, Devour, Omnia II, Tour, Storm, Curve,
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.0; en-us; Droid Build/ESD20) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

Quote Originally Posted by FAUguy
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuuth
    A tip:

I noticed this as well, and would like have speed dials, than placing everyone's direct-dial link on a homescreen.
    I would prefer speed dial as well, but this work-around is easier than saving all as favorites.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PWiddy
    hmm got the incoming to work..had to use mail.bellsouth.net instead of bellsouth.net...but the outgoing even @ 25 won't work...
    you have to use mail.bellsouth.net for both the incoming and smtp server and I think you can unclick the requires logon for smtp.

Device(s)
    Samsung i730
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blue02ws6
    you have to use mail.bellsouth.net for both the incoming and smtp server and I think you can unclick the requires logon for smtp.
    yes but it still gives me the same message on outgoing...unable to open connecdtion toserver...unchecked signin...mail.bellsouth.net and port 25.

worked fine on my curve...I wish I could see how i had that setup..but now that i'm not activated I can't access email setup anymore

Page 1 of 82 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 51 ... LastLast