Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Argh! Droid won't let me delete an undesirable Gmail Account...

Phone
    Nextel i733LE Bloomie's
    Carrier
    NEXTEL
    Feedback Score

Argh! Droid won't let me delete an undesirable Gmail Account...

I was a bit frazzled at Best Buy this morning, and keyed in the my old, spam-ridden Gmail Address when syncing the device at start-up.

Upon getting constant undesirable e-mail all day, I set up my current Gmail Account, but my phone won't let me delete the first.

I turned off all syncing of sorts for my old account, but when I try and remove it, I'm told some applications require the account, and I'd need to factory reset the device. I really don't want to lose my contact list, though.

What applications could possibly be tied to my old account so far? I downloaded a few apps from the store before adding my newer account, but didn't know they'd somehow be tied to said account.

If I just delete the few apps I've installed, would the Droid allow me to delete the account, finally?

I ask because if I'm going to be buying/downloading apps, I want them tied to my new account, not my old one.

If, in fact, I have to do a factory reset to set my new account as the master account, will I also have to call Verizon and set up my phone number and such all over again? Is there a way to save my contacts to re-download later?

Thanks so much!

Phone
    XV6800 (HTC Titan)
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    You can export your contacts and move them over to your new email from the web. Just export/import in Contacts in Gmail, on the right. You will not have to set up your phone number again.
    EVDO

Feedback Score
    the funny thing i noticed is when tryn to delete the gmail account on phone it wont let you, it tells you to do a master reset to wipe the phone clean.in which at times it will not delete everything.strange.
    Moto Razr

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    We just reset my wifes Droid, as she did the exact same thing. Luckily there wasn't much to reset once the device rebooted. We did have to *228 Option 1 but I think it automatically did it for us. We did lose the contacts, so be sure to back those up. You can always export from Gmail, and then add them to the account that you want.
    Current Device: White Out Moto X 32GB
    THE RULES!
    Please report all inappropriate posts by clicking the dark triangle at the bottom of the post.

Phones
    DROID
    LG VX8350 red (3 phones & 3 cracked hinges)
    Motorola v265
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    will doing a factory reset clear out Car Home and etc. apps? My droid has been acting like **** all day and I'm close to exchanging.

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    They need to fix that. No way you should have to master reset to delete an email acct.

Phone
    Nextel i733LE Bloomie's
    Carrier
    NEXTEL
    Feedback Score
    Thanks so much for the advice, everyone!

I went and backed up my contacts onto the SD card, and factory reset my phone.

Within 10 minutes, I was up and running once more, with all my contacts and apps re-downloaded!

I'm glad to have my new account as the primary, and it even synced my contacts to my Gmail Account, which it didn't do last time for some reason!

Thanks again!

Phones
    Droid
    iphone
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    This silliness needs to be fix in the next update. Resetting to factory defaults just to remove an email address makes no sense.

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    It's not to remove one, it is to change the account associated with the phone, for those who have multiple email accounts. Deleting an email address can be done on the device in a matter of seconds.

Feedback Score
    I set up a Yahoo account under the email widget. I want to delete that account. I cannot find out how to do that? Anyone know how or do I have to do a factory reset?

Phones
    Moto Droid
    BB Storm 9530
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Some of you must never have experienced the hell that was flashing a BB Storm with a leaked OS. This thing is a breeze to rebuild from scratch.

Phones
    Motorola Droid
    LG Venus
    LG Razor
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    ^Open up the email widget so you can see the email accounts. Long hold on the account you want to delete. Viola.

Phones
    Motorola Droid
    LG Venus
    LG Razor
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunoD
    I set up a Yahoo account under the email widget. I want to delete that account. I cannot find out how to do that? Anyone know how or do I have to do a factory reset?
    ^Open up the email widget so you can see the email accounts. Long hold on the account you want to delete. Viola.

Feedback Score
    Excellent. Thanks. I wasn't familiar with the long hold. I wonder if that works in a lot of other areas I don't know about. I will check it out. Thanks again.

Phones
    Motorola Droid
    LG Venus
    LG Razor
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I'm sure it does. The only reason I know this is because I had the same question this afternoon.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast