Phones
    Motorola Droid
    LG VX11000 enV Touch
    LG VX9700 Dare
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Droid Help with sending Sound clips and ringtones

I used to own the EnV touch and with it I was easily able to open up small sound files or ring tones that I created and send them along to friends. I now have the Motorola Droid but I am unable to see any method of sending these ring tones I made in the SMS attachment options (I can see that I can record voice to send, but there is nothing for sounds that are on the phone already). How do I go about being able to send sound clips and ringtones as I was able to do before? Do I need a special app for it? If so can someone give me a good recommendation?

Thank you in advance!

Phones
    LG env Touch
    iPhone 3G
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless (Personal)
    Feedback Score
    Anyone? I would like to know this too.
    "Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also."

Phones
    Motorola Droid
    LG VX11000 enV Touch
    LG VX9700 Dare
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Just as a heads up, I've been searching all over the net for an answer to this question and so far I have come up with nothing. The only way I'm able to do this right now is to send the sound from another phone to my phone, then forward the attachment. This of course requires two phones and isn't really a solution at all. They need to add attach audio file to the attachments list.

bug?

Feedback Score
    How big in size (kb)are the ringtones?

Phones
    Motorola Droid
    LG VX11000 enV Touch
    LG VX9700 Dare
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    They range anywhere from 300kb up to 2,000kb. I never had problems at all sending them from my enV touch (or other phones for that matter).

Phones
    Motorola Droid
    LG VX11000 enV Touch
    LG VX9700 Dare
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I thought I found something an app called handcent (I believe)- an app that included attaching a sound clip but no matter what I added it said the attachment was too big. Ironically though if I forward a txt with the ring tone it still works so I'm certain it IS possible... I assume it must be a bug with the app maybe??

Phones
    lg voyager
    lg dare
    blackberry storm
    Carrier
    verizon wireless
    Feedback Score
    I too, was looking for this. I have had limited success sending audio files. I will give you the breakdown as far as what I tried.

I tried the native messaging application and if you record audio, it appears to send although it failed at times when sending it.

To send just audio files (i.e. ringtones), I reduced a song in ringdroid to about 5 seconds and saved it as a ringtone. I use handcent sms which gives an option to send audio and opens up the ringtone folder of the droid which includes the file you save from ringdroid.
    Despite this, if you try to send, both handcent sms and droid messaging just hangs (the envelope with circle in corner ); it never sends.

So recording audio yes, but ringtones and imported sounds, no. Any word on bitpim?

Phones
    Motorola Droid
    LG VX11000 enV Touch
    LG VX9700 Dare
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    still nothing =(

Phone
    VX7000
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Download ASTRO File Manager
    go to /system/media/audio/ringtones/
    Long touch file
    Choose send
    Send via Gmail or Bluetooth

default Droid ringtones are in .ogg format

Phones
    Motorola Droid
    LG VX11000 enV Touch
    LG VX9700 Dare
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Trecherus
    Long touch file
    Choose send

Thank you very much for this information. Now I am able to send ring tones via bluetooth or e-mail to those capable of receiving it that way - which is better than the options I had before (pretty much none at all). So I do very much appreciate that.

I know that I can forward ring tones that are sent to me, so I'm thinking there must be SOME way for applications such as Handcent SMS to enable this feature natively. I tried to post a request on their forums but no one else seems to be interested. As it stands now I can only send VERY small files, but the majority of what I used to send won't work.

Here's a link if any of you would like to chime in as well?

Handcent Request: Sending Ringtones & Audio Files

Phones
    Motorola Droid
    Blackberry Storm
    LG Voyager
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    i suppose you should be able to email yourself the sound file from your phone ... email your phone number (ie 2085551212@vzwpix.com) - ironically from the phone your are sending the email to - then forward that text to anyone you'd like.

FYI - this is 100% a Motorola issue, not a Google or Verizon issue. LG and Blackberry have no trouble sending these file types. every Motorola phone i've had cripples this feature. No rhyme or reason to it.

Feedback Score
    Excellent, been looking everywhere for an answer to this question

Quote Originally Posted by Trecherus
    Long touch file
    Choose send

Phones
    Motorola Droid
    LG VX11000 enV Touch
    LG VX9700 Dare
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ScRuLuCe
    i suppose you should be able to email yourself the sound file from your phone ... email your phone number (ie 2085551212@vzwpix.com) - ironically from the phone your are sending the email to - then forward that text to anyone you'd like.

FYI - this is 100% a Motorola issue, not a Google or Verizon issue. LG and Blackberry have no trouble sending these file types. every Motorola phone i've had cripples this feature. No rhyme or reason to it.
    This method seems to work with any of my ringtones and sound clips that are 31 seconds or less - it's not as good as what I was able to do with the LG enV touch, but it's a lot better than the 5-10 seconds I could do with Handcent. Thank you very much for posting this, it will help a lot. As for the other files, I'll just send them from another phone to my droid and then forward them.

I think you're right in that this is a Motorola issue... The last Motorola phone I owned was an E815 and the only way to send ringtones was to unlock it.After that I went to the LG enV then the dare, then the enV touch all by LG and as you said, I never had any problems sending sound files from any of their phones. I'm disappointed with Motorola when it comes to the Droid... I do hope that someone will eventually come up with an app that will allow us to do what should have been natively possible on the droid from the start. If LG comes out with an android phone, I'll probably be one of the first in line to grab one!

Feedback Score

Send ringtone between Droids when bluetooth isn't an option

I use Bluetooth to get ringtones to my phone, but here is something I figured out to share/send ringtones to my Droid buddies (which number about 5 right now).

First you need a file browser, I use AndroZip. I go to the ringtone I want to send on my SD card long hold on the file to rename it.

I change the file from mp3 to mp4, this disguises the file as a video.

Then attach on an sms message as a video and send. Your friend at the other end will have to change it back to mp3 but it works (especially over distances).

If the file doesn't show up under videos when you go to attach it just power down your phone and turn it back on it should show up in your gallery as a video.

This is one way to do it, but I can't wait for an app or something so we can do it the right way. Hope this helps some of yall, let me know if it does.

Peace

Phones
    Motorola Droid
    HTC Touch
    Nextel i760
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    I had the same issue with sending audio attachments in an MMS to people using the Handcent SMS app. Apparently there is a bug in this phone with sending MMS to people that have parentheses around their area codes in your contacts. The 2.0.1 update was supposed to fix it, but it didn't seem to do the trick for me. The manual fix for this (which isn't really a fix, just changing the number), is to delete any existing message thread you have with that person from Handcent and/or Messaging, then remove the parentheses from their number in your contacts, then send them the MMS. The change might even have to be done at gmail.com because the phone may re-sync with your google account and put the parentheses back in. Hopefully this bug is officially fixed soon.