Thread: $7 month unlimited to one number?

Phone
    Tin cans and waxed strings!
    Carrier
    RIP Teddy :(
    Feedback Score

$7 month unlimited to one number?

Hi,

I just saw this post on the Roger's forum. This has definitely got me interested. Does anyone know how I could set this up?

"All you guys said here is very good and very correct. I would just like to add: you no longer have to pay 30$ for My5 to get unlimited North America wide calling. Now you can get it for less from Telus:
    7$/month on prepaid gives you unlimited in/out to one number
    + 5$/month gives you 250 text (unlimited for most people's needs)
    = 12$/month
    No need to mention that THE NUMBER will be your VoIP number. You guys are smart for setting up a VoIP for both in/out, it is a good idea, only problem with it is that people can't text you on it.
    Pbxes has a limit of 2000min/month which is 1000 if you use it as callthrough/callforward. Just keep that in mind. On the other hand liberailvoip.it offers exactly the same service, unlimited, but is in Italian. You can find guides in English on-line with screenshots explaining how to set it up (for people who need more than 1000 minutes/month).
    For incoming numbers to Pbxes you don't necessarily have to buy a number. If you do decide to buy I suggest localphone which offers them for 3$/month unlimited. Otherwise, you can use inum.net or sipbroker.com to access your PBXes callthrough.

Phone
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    It would work, but the set up challenge doesn't have anything to do with a difference between Telus or other carriers.
    The word 'Pentaband' means '5 Bands', from the Greek word 'pente' meaning '5'. For a phone to be pentaband it has to support 5 bands. If the phone has AWS support, it doesn't automatically mean that it is pentaband.

Don't send me PMs for questions that can be asked publicly.

Carriers
    TELUS
    Feedback Score
    This is for prepaid only.

Phone
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Yes, I know it is prepaid only. I managed to locate the relevant pages on Telus for this add-on, as well as pbx-es. I guess I am not entirely familiar with how to set up the "trunks" (incoming and outgoing).

Additionally, can any HSPA phone be used for prepaid? Or is prepaid stuck to CDMA only?

Feedback Score
    I have this setup as well, well almost. I got a TO number forwarded to my Vancouver number and i have to tell people i cannot, cannot receive txt messages, but people still do.

If there was a way to forward ure txt messages to ure number, then it would be perfect!

Phone
    LG Chocolate 8500 - Telus
    Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    I just activated an unlocked rogers Nokia E71 on Telus prepaid today, it replaced my samsung slyde... Did the transfer over the phone as its hard to convince a computer to waive the fee, and 90% of telus reps will waive fees "this time only".

Anyways I had quite the time with the rep from the HSPA department first getting IMEI and SIM mixed up, then telling me I wasn't allowed to have "a data device" on prepaid... after I said "fine I'll just give you the IMEI to a non data device and then just put my sim in the E71 and Telus won't know the difference anyways". She then informed me that the activation might not work as she could not find programming instructions for the phone, that's when I couldn't hold myself back anymore and asked her if she had ANY hspa training at all, after which she informed me that it looked like my unlimited 45 plan would be lost as "HSPA prepaid is all pay per use and has no bundles or plans available, and I should be prepared for that"

Needless to say, everything is working fine (well SMS and calls), no more incessant duplicate messages, no disappearing plans, and it appears that "Pay and Talk" is being rebranded as "Telus Prepaid".

November 12, my Solo mobile HSPA prepaid experiment begins...

Phone
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    hahaha. awesome! This is perfect! I have a Nokia 6682 lying around..I'll get that unlocked and see if I can get this to work.

Thanks!

EDIT: crap!! I forgot that the 6682 isn't an HSPA phone. doh!! But I did find an old Samsung A670...
    Last edited by PhuFighter; 11-11-2009 at 06:37 AM.

Feedback Score
    so were you able to keep your unlimited 45 with the Nokia phone? is your data working?

Phones
    Nokia N8
    silver
    Carriers
    Telus HSPA +
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PhuFighter
    Hi,

I just saw this post on the Roger's forum. This has definitely got me interested. Does anyone know how I could set this up?
    An easier method would be to get a Magic Number and use that number for 7$ Telus unlimited to one number. For that money you get free calling to major Canadian cities. The downside is that you don't see the caller's real CID and people should text you on Telus phone number and NOT the Magic Number.

Another way of doing it is to get a local DID number and set it up with PBXes, but that is more complicated and I'm not yet sure how to do it, some things are still not working properly.

Phones
    SE X1a, Nokia N97-1, iPhone 3G(S)
    iPhone 3G, Nokia E71, SE G900i
    BB 8900
    Carriers
    Rogers Wireless
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by puffincones
    I just activated an unlocked rogers Nokia E71 on Telus prepaid today, it replaced my samsung slyde... Did the transfer over the phone as its hard to convince a computer to waive the fee, and 90% of telus reps will waive fees "this time only".

Anyways I had quite the time with the rep from the HSPA department first getting IMEI and SIM mixed up, then telling me I wasn't allowed to have "a data device" on prepaid... after I said "fine I'll just give you the IMEI to a non data device and then just put my sim in the E71 and Telus won't know the difference anyways". She then informed me that the activation might not work as she could not find programming instructions for the phone, that's when I couldn't hold myself back anymore and asked her if she had ANY hspa training at all, after which she informed me that it looked like my unlimited 45 plan would be lost as "HSPA prepaid is all pay per use and has no bundles or plans available, and I should be prepared for that"

Needless to say, everything is working fine (well SMS and calls), no more incessant duplicate messages, no disappearing plans, and it appears that "Pay and Talk" is being rebranded as "Telus Prepaid".

November 12, my Solo mobile HSPA prepaid experiment begins...
    i did mine on sunday
    and no fee on the computer
    topped up with 25 dollars at first charge
    have not been charged with any fees yet
    got to choose my own phone number
    TESTED MOBILES
    Ericsson T28W
    Nokia 8890,8860,8260,8290,6100, 6590,3390,6188,3360,3120b, 3230, 3220b,6680, 6300b
    Samsung SGH-S200,S307,E730,P207, G600, U700
    Motorola C333/C332,V70*now*,V66,T720G,V60i/g,A668, E680i, V3, A1200
    SonyEricsson T68i,T39m/mc,T300,T610/616*now*,Z600,T630/637,K700i *now* (w/HBH-660),V802SE (Z800i flash)*now*,Z520a/i, P900i, K790a/800i, W600i *now*, W810i *now* , W850i*now*, P1i*sold*, K850, W995, X1a
    Panasonic GD55,GD88, G51M, MX3/7
    Sharp 903SH,GX22, TM100