Thread: Anyone used Straight Talk in Alaska yet?

Feedback Score

Anyone used Straight Talk in Alaska yet?

I was wondering if Straight Talk would work in Alaska? My brother-in-law would like to get one. We're in Missouri, but when my husband uses his Verizon in Alaska when he travels, it works just fine. Back when Net10 used to tell you there's didn't work in Alaska, they did and people used them fine, wondering if this is the same thing.

Phones
    Sanyo MM-9000
    Sanyo M1
    HTC Mogul
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Nope, won't work. StraightTalk only works on native Verizon signals. The only CDMA carriers in Alaska are ACS and Alaska Digitel. They have roaming agreements with Verizon, but only postpaid Verizon subscribers have access to that (or Verizon prepaid and Page Plus if you don't care about a per-minute charge).

Phones
    Lg G2X (Me)
    Samsung Flight -Girlfriend
    Nokia 2720 - Mom
    Carriers
    T-Mobile Monthly
    T-Mobile FlexPay
    Feedback Score
    Here's the funny thing about Verizon Prepay (not trying to jack the thread, mind you).

If you are on their flat rate, you pay 25 cents per minute on the network. If you are roaming, you pay 20 cents per minute.
    T-Mobile’s new marketing campaign for Vermont and Western New Hampshire:
    “Try T-Mobile’s blazingly fast GPRS data network. We’re faster than iDEN and TDMA combined!”

Phones
    Sanyo MM-9000
    Sanyo M1
    HTC Mogul
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Sweeper
    Here's the funny thing about Verizon Prepay (not trying to jack the thread, mind you).

If you are on their flat rate, you pay 25 cents per minute on the network. If you are roaming, you pay 20 cents per minute.
    Haha, nice. Is there a roam only feature on Verizon phones? I have that on my Sprint phones.

Phones
    Samsung T201G
    Motorola W376
    BlackBerry 8703e
    Carriers
    AT&T (Tracfone / Net10)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SprintGuru
    Nope, won't work. StraightTalk only works on native Verizon signals. The only CDMA carriers in Alaska are ACS and Alaska Digitel. They have roaming agreements with Verizon, but only postpaid Verizon subscribers have access to that (or Verizon prepaid and Page Plus if you don't care about a per-minute charge).

Tracfone has full postpaid roaming on their Tracfone and Net10 phones, those should work in Alaska if there is cell service and the underlying provider allows roaming (there is one that doesn't). Note that there is a roaming charge on the $80 unlimited Net10 plan, otherwise newer phones don't have an extra roaming charge.

Phones
    Sanyo MM-9000
    Sanyo M1
    HTC Mogul
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mharris127
    Tracfone has full postpaid roaming on their Tracfone and Net10 phones, those should work in Alaska if there is cell service and the underlying provider allows roaming (there is one that doesn't). Note that there is a roaming charge on the $80 unlimited Net10 plan, otherwise newer phones don't have an extra roaming charge.
    We're not talking about TracFone, though. We're talking about StraightTalk, which only operates on Verizon's native network.