Thread: Disabling "always-on mobile data" option on Eris

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Disabling "always-on mobile data" option on Eris

I have read in a few places around the Web that if you disable "always-on mobile data" under Settings > Wireless Controls > Mobile network settings, that it will increase battery life dramatically. One person went from 25% remaining at the end of an average day to 90% remaining.

I have tested this and cannot see any repercussions. I cannot find any additional information anywhere about it. My push Gmail, Contacts and Calendar have been coming through so far without any problems. I have turned off widgets, Facebook, Twitter and those sorts of things, so I am unsure if they work with this option.

My question is: what the heck does this do? It doesn't seem to negatively affect anything.

The only theory I could come up with is that I have read that on wireless networks a device (handset) IP can change periodically, and in many implementations of push technology it is the device's obligation to update the push notification system of the change in it's address. I read that after someone had done this, after a while their push Google services stopped working. That lined up with my theory, but I have no idea if it was coincidence. Surely this has to do something important, right?

Any info out there?

Thanks!

Phone
    LG 8100
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    that's the the tip, I'll check it and give it a try. I just wonder if it will automatically connect when the timer says to sync w/ my exchange.

Phone
    Droid
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Think it forces it to use 3G instead of wireless.

Phone
    LG 8100
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    well, my wireless was turned off anyway, but it seems to be helping my battery life some... right now i'm at 64% and yesterday it was down to 30% around the same time, little less usage, but not that much less. still wondering if I can get an entire day out of it...
    There's a lot to be said about wearing a good hat and waterproof shoes...

Phone
    LG 8100
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

update

so far this is working well, but what has even had a greater imact (and this only applies if you are not using gmail or the marketplace)
    settings > data syncronization > google; turn off background data

my exhange is still working fine, and my web browsing is unaffected, but it's saved a ton on battery life,

is anyone worried that the only way to activate the phone is the "red" call button, what's the odds of it being durable enough to last?

Phone
    ST iPhone 5 ATT ST BYOP SIM
    Carrier
    Straight Talk MVNO
    Feedback Score
    Same as the iPhone's sole button :-)