iPhone
    HTC Touch Diamond (Crap)
    Blackberry Storm
    Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score

Shaw Email Setup on Telus iphone

Hi There

Has anyone been successful in setting up a Shaw Email account on the Telus Iphone. I had it working fine on my blackberry storm, but for the life of me can not get it working on the iphone.

Any suggestions.

Thanks

Phones
    HTC Tilt 2
    iPhone 3GS 16GB
    LG Dare
    Carrier
    Telus Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Are you using:
    POP3: pop.shaw.ca
    SMTP: <External Server>, you can't connect to Shaw's SMTP when you are external to Shaw's network (i.e. would work @ home on your Shaw connection via wi-fi but not on the road).

User: <Name> (everything before @shaw.ca)

Carriers
    Telus HSPA, Rogers HSPA ($50 unlimited)
    Feedback Score
    I believe smtp.telus.net should work for the outgoing mail server.

Phone
    32GB iPhone 3GS (White)
    Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    smtp.telus.net will work when you are using their network. If you are on Wifi, you need the smtp server for that particular network.

When I am on wifi at work, I have to turn the wifi off, revert back to my 3G connection to send an email.

Phones
    iPhone
    HTC Touch Diamond (Crap)
    Blackberry Storm
    Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Thanks everyone, i tried that a thousand times and it wouldnt work, now it does...hahah

Ry

Phones
    IPhone 3GS 32GB White
    Blackberry Curve 8330
    Blackberry Pearl 8130
    Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    I have a hotmail account as well as a shaw account. i set incoming mail server to pop.shaw.ca and outgoing i set to use the hotmail server. seems to work fine on 3g and wifi.

Feedback Score
    outgoing server.. depending on your city.. example.. calgary

shawmail.cg.shawcable.com

Phones
    HTC Tilt 2
    iPhone 3GS 16GB
    LG Dare
    Carrier
    Telus Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MikieCGY
    outgoing server.. depending on your city.. example.. calgary

shawmail.cg.shawcable.com
    Does shaw allow outside connections now? If I recall they officially block non-shaw connections.

So at home on wi-fi it will work, but once you are out and are on telus it won't send anymail as it will refuse the connection. You can however use whatever SMTP server you want, doesn't have to be Shaw's. I'm sure Telus has one for you to use like cgartly mentioned.

OUTGOING SERVER NAME NOTE:
    To send email you must use the outgoing mail server settings of the Internet connection you are connected to, you cannot use Shaw’s outgoing server when not on a Shaw Internet connection.

Hotels and cafés usually provide their outgoing mail server information to guests and visitors upon request.

At your workplace you need to ask your IT department what the appropriate outgoing mail server name would be.

Wireless devices such as a PDA (ie. Blackberry) have this information available in your user manual or on their support site.

These outgoing mail server names would replace the Shaw settings shown in the “Outgoing Mail” field of the examples above.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tkyoshi
    You can however use whatever SMTP server you want
    smtp.telus.net

did it yesterday and was able to send e-mails no prob

Carriers
    Telus HSPA, Rogers HSPA ($50 unlimited)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tkyoshi
    Does shaw allow outside connections now? If I recall they officially block non-shaw connections.

So at home on wi-fi it will work, but once you are out and are on telus it won't send anymail as it will refuse the connection. You can however use whatever SMTP server you want, doesn't have to be Shaw's. I'm sure Telus has one for you to use like cgartly mentioned.
    Shaw blocks non-shaw connections to their shawmail.xx.shawcable.net pop servers. They opened up pop.shaw.ca to allow customer with Blackberry's, iPhone's etc access when on a non-shaw connection.

They do not have any type of authenticated smtp server so you still have to use an smtp server that is compatible with the network you are connected to.

Feedback Score
    Hey all- just bought an iPhone and have had the same problem with Shaw emails not working with 3G Telus network. The iTunes 'setup' copies incorrect info into the iPhone for the incoming and outgoing servers. When I did the corrections as suggested it works! I had phoned 2 techs at Telus and it appears they didn't know this correction.

Thanks alot for great help.
    Newbie on iPhone

Feedback Score
    You have to set up the email as POP3 (not IMAP which I believe the iPhone tries to do automatically).

Set the INCOMING server to pop.shaw.ca
    Set the OUTGOING server to smtp.telus.net (YOU MUST be connected to 3G, not WiFi to be able to send. Otherwise your mail will get saved in your outbox until you're on 3G, and will be sent then)

Also make sure SSL is turned OFF.

That's really all there is to it. Alternatively, you can find another SMTP server of your choice that allows free connections from anywhere. The benefit there would be that you could send outgoing mail through both WiFi and 3G.

Good Luck!