Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DROID screen is scratch resistant!

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

DROID screen is scratch resistant!

Maybe this was obvious (since the screen is glass) but I didn't realize it and went ahead and bought 3 screen protectors for $14 at a Verizon store. Go to youtube and type in droid+scratch+test. People can't mark it up with car keys!

So no point in getting a screen protector unless you are really worried about the black paint on the side of the bezel. But I don't think that comes off that easy.

Anyways, hopefully some of you save your money!

Phone
    HTC EVO 4G
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Wow, I hadn't seen those videos!! Pretty impressive.

Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Wow. That's nuts. I figured I'd just swing into the Verizon store while I was out last night for some screen protectors and waited like 30 minutes in their ridiculus customer service queue system. Now I see this

Oh well - at least they'll keep the side bezel intact.

Phones
    Samsung Alias 2--as of 5/19/2009
    Motorola Droid X
    Nokia 6085--wife's
    Carriers
    Verizon for me,
    Feedback Score
    Some are reporting small paint chips on the bezel around the screen though.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."

Phone
    enV2
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Don't be fooled by a scratch proof screen. I brought my new Droid home on day one. When I went to install my screen protector, I noticed a lot of fine scratches on my screen. Don't know if it was somebodys toy before I bought it, or it came from the factory like that. But it was scratched up. I went back and had it replaced.

Regarding the paint chips, I noticed some of them too when I took off my body glove top piece to install a Ghost Armour screen protector. I thought maybe those were from the way that cover snaps on. Maybe not if others have chips too.

Carrier
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    The glass screen on the Droid, along with the Iphone, can be scratched. Small pieces of sand (quartz) has a tendency to gather in pockets, and I can attest to the fact that this will cause scratches on a glass screen.

My ipod touch was equipped with a screen protector since the minute i opened it, and then after seeing similar scratch tests with the iphone/ipod touch i decided to take it off. Low and behold a couple of weeks later it was riddled with tiny scratches and a screen protector is now on it at all times.

Screen protect it if you don't like scratches, that's all there is to it.

Phones
    Nokia N95 8GB
    SE K800i
    Nokia 6300
    Carriers
    Warid Telecom Bangladesh
    Feedback Score
    yeah man its true that these scratch resistant things are really not resistant. moreover.... car key might not scratch those screens easily but little sand quartz can do it pretty easily believe or not. my iphone got scrtached in 1 week. and after that i put prtector on my samsung i8910 on 1st day and same as on my hero. good screen protectors never take sensitivity away.

Phone
    Motorola DynaTAC 8000X
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by andross77
    Maybe this was obvious (since the screen is glass) but I didn't realize it and went ahead and bought 3 screen protectors for $14 at a Verizon store. Go to youtube and type in droid+scratch+test. People can't mark it up with car keys!

So no point in getting a screen protector unless you are really worried about the black paint on the side of the bezel. But I don't think that comes off that easy.

Anyways, hopefully some of you save your money!
    I have some real estate I'd like to sell ya.

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenclits
    I have some real estate I'd like to sell ya.
    you're a dousche. thanks for adding nothing to the conversation

i'm aware of sand particles and quartz and other glass and diamonds possibly scratching it. how often will my screen come in contact with those things? never.

i guess i just don't treat my phone like crap as some others here obviously do. my phone goes in my pocket and i never have dropped it ever. i also *gasp* clean my pockets so there isn't junk in it.

Carrier
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by andross77
    you're a dousche. thanks for adding nothing to the conversation

i'm aware of sand particles and quartz and other glass and diamonds possibly scratching it. how often will my screen come in contact with those things? never.

i guess i just don't treat my phone like crap as some others here obviously do. my phone goes in my pocket and i never have dropped it ever. i also *gasp* clean my pockets so there isn't junk in it.
    I'm not meaning to be offensive about this, but no matter how meticulously you clean your pockets and however anal you are with taking care of your phone, sooner or later it's going to get scratches on the screen, and if you don't have a screen protector, get used to seeing those scratches every time you use your phone.

I'll just spend the $5-10 for a few good screen protectors and keep mine scratch free, if you want to go another way, that's fine.

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaX24
    I'm not meaning to be offensive about this, but no matter how meticulously you clean your pockets and however anal you are with taking care of your phone, sooner or later it's going to get scratches on the screen, and if you don't have a screen protector, get used to seeing those scratches every time you use your phone.

I'll just spend the $5-10 for a few good screen protectors and keep mine scratch free, if you want to go another way, that's fine.
    i realize you can't keep your pockets 100% clean but if there are only a few elements that will scratch this screen instead of everything, you can be pretty sure that it won't get scratched. Meaning, if i can have keys in my pocket and they won't scratch the screen (see youtube video for violent key scratch test that does nothing to the Moto Droid) then i am confident i won't have a scratched screen.

You say that sand can scratch it but how often do i have sand in my pockets? never. I don't live in L.A. i'm really far from the nearest beach. i never, ever have sand on my person. I do carry my keys around though (always in a different pocket but that's another issue).

So if sand will scratch the Droid, i'm ok. i won't have sand in my pocket.

Phone
    htc Evo 4G, Moto i1
    Carrier
    sprint/nextel
    Feedback Score
    werd. ima keep sand out my pockets. and keys.
    I'M BAAACK.

Feedback Score
    Sand doesnt scratch glass as easily as you think.

The glass is harder than the sand due to the additives that are in it.

Phones
    LG VX10000, iPhone
    HTC Wizard, HTC Excalibur, HTC Vogue
    HTC Herman, HTC Ozone
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I went ahead and got screen protectors out of habit personally. However, there is a small scratch on the side bezel out of nowhere. It's not ever been carried in a pocket or the same hand as keys or anything...Oh well I suppose.

Phone
    Verizon Droid
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Maybe instead of getting a screen protector for the phone we should get sand protectors for our pockets . J/K of course for the short money I would go with the screen protector just to be safe.

http://droidboards.com Verizon Droid and Android news and forums
    http://zune4all.com Microsoft Zune news and forums

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast