Thread: Samsung t401g Problems

Phone
    Samgsung t401g
    Carrier
    Net10
    Feedback Score

Samsung t401g Problems

Hello all,

I just got my first cell phone , a t401g from Samsung (Net10). I must say, I really like it, however, I am having one problem.

As I am using this phone as my main camera (gosh darn you Apple for no camera in the Touch), I bought a 4GB MicroSDHC card for the phone. Here is a link to Newegg. When I got the card, I inserted it into the t401g and it recognized the card. Just to make sure it would work fine, I formatted the card from the phone (it created some folders on the card.)

When I started using the camera, I assumed it would automatically use the card instead of the small internal memory. I was wrong. As I take pictures and videos, the phone stores them like before in the internal memory, not the card. There is an option to move/copy the pictures to the card, and this works fine, but it's really annoying.

As for my troubleshooting, I put it in my computer and tested it (worked fine), reformatted it again in the phone, and then reset my phone's settings. The only thing I have not done is a full reset of the phone (I would rather not lose my contacts, pics, etc. I'll do it if I have to.)

The t401g DOES see the card and it does support MicroSDHC. It works perfectly, except it isn't the default save location. I have looked everywhere in the settings, but can't find anything.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance to all.

Phone
    Samsung Captivate, Samsung Mythic
    Carrier
    at&t (formerly Cingular)
    Feedback Score
    So far, every Samsung that I've used will default to the internal phone memory regardless if it supports having an external memory card. If there is no option in the settings that that allows the User to change the default saving location to the external card, then there is no way to change it.

Eventually Samsung may change their OS/firmware to actually support changing this in later phones, but they won't provide changes/updates for earlier released models.
    If you feel that you have to correct some of my posts for my capitalization of some of my words, then just bear with it. It's just a discussion forum where some may be limited by time to answer in well-versed and eloquent sentences.

I already got a PHD (Plain High School Diploma) so ignore my style of writing and I'll ignore your ignorance.

Subject: You can read this-trust me!

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdgnieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm.
    Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt!

When asked if I see the glass half empty or half full, I responded I see just a glass of water.
    Now you know how I think.

Carrier
    net10
    Feedback Score
    Can anyone verify the LARGEST micro sd card that this phone supports? The manual only lists "2GB", but I've seen ppl get at least up to a 4GB working. Please post if you know, Thanks!

Phone
    Samgsung t401g
    Carrier
    Net10
    Feedback Score

Max Memory Card Size Supported

Hello!

Although most list the phone as only supporting MicroSD, I can verify the phone does support MicroSDHC. I am using a 4GB MicroSDHC card and it works fine (I got such a small SDHC card only because of price.)

If a phone only supports MicroSD (not SDHC) then the max is 2GB (due to the way it is formatted I beleive.) If a phone supports MicroSDHC, then it supports all MicroSDHC cards and the largest I have seen is 32GB.

Carrier
    net10
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cetchart
    Hello!

Although most list the phone as only supporting MicroSD, I can verify the phone does support MicroSDHC. I am using a 4GB MicroSDHC card and it works fine (I got such a small SDHC card only because of price.)

If a phone only supports MicroSD (not SDHC) then the max is 2GB (due to the way it is formatted I beleive.) If a phone supports MicroSDHC, then it supports all MicroSDHC cards and the largest I have seen is 32GB.
    Thank you for the reply! I just got this phone to possibly replace my second lg-600. I have not transferred my number yet, but want to get a memory card for it asap. Just wanted to know what the limits were sounds like the sd vs sdhc support is the same as regular sd cards.

Phone
    Samgsung t401g
    Carrier
    Net10
    Feedback Score
    One other thing to remember is that the pictures taken with the t401g are not great quality and therefore not large. I have taken many pictures now, and my average picture size is 400k. I have never filled anywhere near 1GB.

Unless you load a ton of mp3s on, I think 4GB is all anyone will ever need.

Here is the card I bought (free shipping, and a nifty SDHC to normal SD adapter) all for only $15:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820134527

Carrier
    net10
    Feedback Score
    cool thanks for the link yeah, i was basically thinking of mp3s as far as the storage is concerned. I agree, and think that 4gb should definitely be enough.

Feedback Score
    Hello,
    I am looking at the Net10 Samsung T401g phone. I have looked through the user manual and cannot figure out if when you take a picture or record a video, if you have to process it as a message to get it to your phone's memory. So the question is, do you incur a Net10 fee to take a picture or a video or record an audio message?
    Also, does the video recording mode include audio? Wnat is the video format?
    JPEG?? Quicktime, other?
    How much internal memory comes in the phone to record pictures, video and audio without having an external microSD/SDHC card?
    I presume you can record pictures, video and audio without using a microSD/SDHC card. But I get the impression that you need the microSD/SDHC card to transfer pictures, videos and audio recordings to a computer. Is that true?
    I basically want to be able to have the ability to take pictures, video or record audio messages that I can later download to my computer WITHOUT having to pay anything to do this. I have seen that you can do this with the Net10 Motorola MOTO EM326g for pictures according to a number of posts I have read. But that phone has a LOT fewer features that I am interested in compared to the Samsung T401g.
    Also, will the camera and audio recording function after the number of service days hits 0 or you are out of airtime minutes?
    Do you need a special usb cable form Samsung to connect the phone to a computer or will a generic one work?
    I assume I can use the Sandisk card reader to transfer files to and from the microSD/SDHC card until I get an apporpriate USB cable.
    I look forward to a quick reply as I have minutes on an LG300g Net10 phone that I will loose soon if I don't order one of the 2 mentioned phones ASAP.

Phone
    Samsung Captivate, Samsung Mythic
    Carrier
    at&t (formerly Cingular)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by coollinux
    Hello,
    I am looking at the Net10 Samsung T401g phone. I have looked through the user manual and cannot figure out if when you take a picture or record a video, if you have to process it as a message to get it to your phone's memory.

So the question is, do you incur a Net10 fee to take a picture or a video or record an audio message?
    No, only when you send it to someone via picture/video message.

Also, does the video recording mode include audio?
    Not Sure

Wnat is the video format?JPEG?? Quicktime, other?
    3GP/3G2, MP4

How much internal memory comes in the phone to record pictures, video and audio without having an external microSD/SDHC card?
    50 MB Internal Shared

I presume you can record pictures, video and audio without using a microSD/SDHC card. But I get the impression that you need the microSD/SDHC card to transfer pictures, videos and audio recordings to a computer. Is that true?
    Yes, you can transfer them from the internal memory to the MicroSD card to move them to your computer or use Bluetooth to transfer them to your bluetooth enabled computer. The other way is by sending them via MMS which you don't want to do as you state below.

I basically want to be able to have the ability to take pictures, video or record audio messages that I can later download to my computer WITHOUT having to pay anything to do this. I have seen that you can do this with the Net10 Motorola MOTO EM326g for pictures according to a number of posts I have read. But that phone has a LOT fewer features that I am interested in compared to the Samsung T401g.
    Also, will the camera and audio recording function after the number of service days hits 0 or you are out of airtime minutes?
    The camera and audio features are not affected by your minutes or service.

Do you need a special usb cable form Samsung to connect the phone to a computer or will a generic one work?
    Yes, you need the OEM one from Samsung model: APCBS10UBE Product ID: APCBS10UBEBSTD as generics don't always work. Same cable used by AT&T's Samsung Blackjack II, Propel, Impression, Jack, Magnet.

I assume I can use the Sandisk card reader to transfer files to and from the microSD/SDHC card until I get an apporpriate USB cable.
    Yes.

I look forward to a quick reply as I have minutes on an LG300g Net10 phone that I will loose soon if I don't order one of the 2 mentioned phones ASAP.