Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Broken Verizon phone,can I replace with Prepaid phone?

Feedback Score

Broken Verizon phone,can I replace with Prepaid phone?

My Verizon plan is grandfathered,no longer available if I replaced my phone with an attached plan.I replaced my first broken phone with a Ebay Verizon phone 2 yrs ago to keep the old number but after 2 yrs the hinge of the second phone is coming apart.Can I still replace it with a Prepaid Verizon phone? like the LG5500 at Walmart? or do I have to go thru Ebay again to get a more expensive Verizon phone?

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Cell-Ph...p/97761#M16330

On the (insideVerizon) forum this fellow says as of Oct 30,Verizon has disallowed this practice:

Re: Stolen Phone/ New No-Contract Phone?

11-02-2009 11:36 AM

Correction..this used to work. As of Friday October 30, this no longer works.

I wonder if some VZW higher ups read my post? :smileyvery-happy:
    Last edited by fountainpen; 11-14-2009 at 10:31 AM.

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    It should still work. But just in case it doesn't, do not open the package, first use the ESN switcher online and if it's says it's good to activate, then open it. I've done this with several of my lines and they all worked. Actually I've had 100% success. But then there are others who has problems.

Also recently I upgraded my mother's line cause I wanted a new phone and she could care less what kind of phone she uses. Well, I had to activate it on her line first and then put her phone back on, which is a prepay. Had some trouble going through and needed to call CS and they helped it put it back. Now this is a bit different than buying a new prepaid and activating on a post paid plan so if what you say is true about the Oct 30th change then there's a chance it can't be done anymore. I haven't activated a new prepaid on a line in about 4 months.

Also one of my lines is using the LG 5500 from walmart. So I know it could work. Give it a shot and if it doesn't work you can always return it.

Carrier
    I <3 Verizon!
    Feedback Score
    It should work. I did it once. It wouldn't work for me online so I called. They just put it on my postpaid account for me with no hassle.

Feedback Score
    Heads up...it DID NOT WORK for me. I travel to Mexico 2-3 times yearly for business (and fun) and after researching prepaid rates/post paid plans, I purchased a prepaid LG 5500 phone at Target to use on Verizon postpaid (no contract). C/S informed me that a prepaid Verizon phone will not work on their postpaid service. Absolutely makes no sense! So along with their hefty monthly rates, they also want someone to pay full boat for a entry level phone...the Smooth was around $90...no thanks Verizon.

Feedback Score
    Officially, it's not supposed to work at all unless the pre-paid phone has been active on a pre-paid line for at least 6 months before. In practice, even without satisfying that requirement, for some it works, for others it doesn't. So, there's a chance it might and a pretty much equal chance that it won't. That's really all it comes down to.

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jimxx200
    Heads up...it DID NOT WORK for me. I travel to Mexico 2-3 times yearly for business (and fun) and after researching prepaid rates/post paid plans, I purchased a prepaid LG 5500 phone at Target to use on Verizon postpaid (no contract). C/S informed me that a prepaid Verizon phone will not work on their postpaid service. Absolutely makes no sense! So along with their hefty monthly rates, they also want someone to pay full boat for a entry level phone...the Smooth was around $90...no thanks Verizon.
    Don't call CS. Just switch it yourself online. If it goes through then it worked but if it doesn't then you're outta luck. That's why you don't open the package when you buy the phone. Try it first and use it if it works or return it if it doesn't.

Phones
    verizon I Phone
    iphone 5
    Carrier
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    I activated 2 vx5500 phones for my buddy last week on his plan.
    Actually he called me and I walked him through it.
    I have activated no less then 10 prepaid phones in the last 3or 4 months on postpaid accounts.
    I have done them on line and by doing *228 option 3.
    either way you do it, when you turn the phone on, it will have on the screen to program your phone press send.
    DO NOT PRESS SEND!
    PRESS END.
    then dial *228 and if you have activated it online choose No.1
    If you are doing it on the phone choose No.3
    Enjoy your new phone.

Phones
    Motorola Droid
    LG Env Touch
    LG 5500
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    ok so i searched around and found this thread about activating a prepaid verizon phone on a contract plan. well i bought the motorola droid the day it came out. i wasnt due for an upgrade until 2011. so i was going to buy the phone for the full price. it came up to be right under $600 ($599 i believe). so i thought about it and did the math, it was cheaper to just add an extra line (saved me about $150 over the two year contract period) so i got the phone for $299, and i'm getting a $100 mail in rebate. So i got it for $199. $10 a month for 24 months is $240, so yeah i came out a little better. ok i'm getting side tracked. well originally i had the lg env touch (which is a great phone by the way). so i got a new line, switched the env touch to the new number and the droid to my old number. the phone with the new number just sits in my dresser. well i come to realized the env touch is worth more to me selling it on ebay than having it just sit around collecting dust. so i called verizon cs and asked them about getting a pre paid phone and activating it on my account. they told me that certain models will work, but you have to have it active for 6 months. then i came across this thread. so i went to my local walmart, picked me up the vx5500 (on sale for like $25 with tax, originally like $60) i asked if i brought it home and i didnt like it as long as i didnt activate it could i bring it back, they said "yes sir" so i bought it, got in my truck, and went online on my droid to activate it. i logged in to my account, went to "my support" then to "activate phone" i chose the number to activate it on, entered the ESN number, then it told me to dial *228 and choose option 1. so i did, and when finished it said it was successful, and the phone restarted. i dialed my other number and presto it worked. then later on i was curious if all my settings carried over (i had the internet blocked on the env touch since i didnt need it and didnt want to accidentally go on it or something and get charged for it). so i called cs again and asked if the internet was blocked and they said no, they blocked it for me and asked if it was a prepaid phone and i said yes, and the guy didnt say anything about it. so it worked out great. now i can sell my env touch on ebay for about $180 - $200 .... not a bad return. sorry about the long story but i wanted to share my success story and so there wouldnt be any blank spots decided it would be easier that way.

oh just so its all clear, i did all this on 11/22/09

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fireredak
    I activated 2 vx5500 phones for my buddy last week on his plan.
    Actually he called me and I walked him through it.
    I have activated no less then 10 prepaid phones in the last 3or 4 months on postpaid accounts.
    I have done them on line and by doing *228 option 3.
    either way you do it, when you turn the phone on, it will have on the screen to program your phone press send.
    DO NOT PRESS SEND!
    PRESS END.
    then dial *228 and if you have activated it online choose No.1
    If you are doing it on the phone choose No.3
    Enjoy your new phone.
    i did this recently and my online profile says my phone is now Samsung prepaid,
    I managed to keep my old grandfathered plan.

Does your friend's plan says
    phone:vx5500 prepaid phone+whatever plan?
    I just wonder whether the fact Verizon knows my phone is a prepaid would be any problem?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by _scooby_
    ok so i searched around and found this thread about activating a prepaid verizon phone on a contract plan. well i bought the motorola droid the day it came out. i wasnt due for an upgrade until 2011. so i was going to buy the phone for the full price. it came up to be right under $600 ($599 i believe). so i thought about it and did the math, it was cheaper to just add an extra line (saved me about $150 over the two year contract period) so i got the phone for $299, and i'm getting a $100 mail in rebate. So i got it for $199. $10 a month for 24 months is $240, so yeah i came out a little better. ok i'm getting side tracked. well originally i had the lg env touch (which is a great phone by the way). so i got a new line, switched the env touch to the new number and the droid to my old number. the phone with the new number just sits in my dresser. well i come to realized the env touch is worth more to me selling it on ebay than having it just sit around collecting dust. so i called verizon cs and asked them about getting a pre paid phone and activating it on my account. they told me that certain models will work, but you have to have it active for 6 months. then i came across this thread. so i went to my local walmart, picked me up the vx5500 (on sale for like $25 with tax, originally like $60) i asked if i brought it home and i didnt like it as long as i didnt activate it could i bring it back, they said "yes sir" so i bought it, got in my truck, and went online on my droid to activate it. i logged in to my account, went to "my support" then to "activate phone" i chose the number to activate it on, entered the ESN number, then it told me to dial *228 and choose option 1. so i did, and when finished it said it was successful, and the phone restarted. i dialed my other number and presto it worked. then later on i was curious if all my settings carried over (i had the internet blocked on the env touch since i didnt need it and didnt want to accidentally go on it or something and get charged for it). so i called cs again and asked if the internet was blocked and they said no, they blocked it for me and asked if it was a prepaid phone and i said yes, and the guy didnt say anything about it. so it worked out great. now i can sell my env touch on ebay for about $180 - $200 .... not a bad return. sorry about the long story but i wanted to share my success story and so there wouldnt be any blank spots decided it would be easier that way.

oh just so its all clear, i did all this on 11/22/09
    does your online profile now says
    phone: vx5500 prepaid
    plan : old plan?

Phones
    verizon I Phone
    iphone 5
    Carrier
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fountainpen
    i did this recently and my online profile says my phone is now Samsung prepaid,
    I managed to keep my plan.

Does your friend's plan says
    phone:vx5500 prepaid phone+whatever plan?
    yes it does

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fireredak
    yes it does
    I just wonder whether the fact Verizon knows my phone is a prepaid would be any problem later on?

Phones
    verizon I Phone
    iphone 5
    Carrier
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    The only problem I ran into was that I had the hybrid PRL and when you would do *228 it would reload a verizon PRL, then if you wanted to reactivate it over the air it would work fine.
    But if you forgot to reload the verizon PRL you didnt have option 3 to change the phone and you could not reactivate it.
    But there was a way around that also, LOL.
    Now it doesnt matter which PRL you have it works.
    I dont think they will say anything as long as its active on the account, they even activated a prepaid phone my buddy bought in the store for him on his poastpaid line when he couldnt get it to work, and that phone had never been used on prepaid at all.

Oh, and when I started using the smooth on my pospaid lines, it would show up on the verizon site as a ? mark for a while.
    I called into customer service once and the rep asked me if I was using a u350 samsung smooth prepaid phone. I said Yes

Phones
    Motorola Droid
    LG Env Touch
    LG 5500
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    does your online profile now says
    phone: vx5500 prepaid
    plan : old plan?

it hasnt updated yet on my online account. it no longer shows my env touch as the phone for that number though.

i was looking at the phones on verizons site last night and i did notice that the phone i got, the vx5500, is also a plan phone that you can buy from their site. maybe that makes a difference. i think the smooth has both plan and prey paid phones that are the same as well

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by _scooby_
    it hasnt updated yet on my online account. it no longer shows my env touch as the phone for that number though.

i was looking at the phones on verizons site last night and i did notice that the phone i got, the vx5500, is also a plan phone that you can buy from their site. maybe that makes a difference. i think the smooth has both plan and prey paid phones that are the same as well
    I think most, if not all of the pre-paid phones are also post-paid phones offered on contracts, the pre-paid ones just have somewhat different firmware usually compared to their post-paid versions.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast