Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: T-mobile phones that tether with Laptop

Phones
    HTC Dash
    Shadow
    Feedback Score

T-mobile phones that tether with Laptop

I have the old dash and unlimited internet plan. I just found out i can tether with laptop and don't need to buy a data card. My contract ends in February and i want to stay with T-mobile and get a new phone. What phones can i get at t-mobile that will also tether with laptop?

Phones
    Google Nexus 5
    Google Nexus 4 (Wife)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Do you want a smartphone or a dumb phone?

Dumb phone: SE TM506 or SE TM717

Smartphones: Dash 3G, Touch Pro 2, Android phones, BB's (Bold 9700 is the best since it has 3G)
    Phone History: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 | HTC Sensation 4G | Google Nexus One | HTC HD2 | Nokia 5230 Nuron | Nokia N900 | BB Curve 8900 | iPhone 3G | Google Ion | Nokia 5800XM | Nokia E71-2 | T-Mobile G1 | iPhone 2G

My Feedbacks: eBay | Heatware | HoFo

Phones
    HTC Dash
    Shadow
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bachviet
    Do you want a smartphone or a dumb phone?

Dumb phone: SE TM506 or SE TM717

Smartphones: Dash 3G, Touch Pro 2, Android phones, BB's (Bold 9700 is the best since it has 3G)
    How do you like the touch pro? I'm debating between my touch, touch pro and cliq.

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Sony Xperia Ion AWS HSPA + LTE
    Carriers
    T-Mobile Simple Plan 4 lines (unlimited on one and 2.5GB sharing on another) $130 | 4.5GB MBB
    Feedback Score
    Currently I am using TP2 as modem, here is the list of phones which can be tethered with correct plans/services (EM+ 3 in 1, total internet, BB, VPN, smartphone data)
    nokia 6263, 3555, 3711, N900*
    SE TM506 (old version or hacked, or unbranded), TM717 (hacked)
    HTC Dash 3G, TP2
    Pharos 137*
    BB 9700
    Tap

* unlocked phones

Phones
    HTC Dash
    Shadow
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottish Skyedance
    Currently I am using TP2 as modem, here is the list of phones which can be tethered with correct plans/services (EM+ 3 in 1, total internet, BB, VPN, smartphone data)
    HTC Dash 3G, TP2
    Pharos 137*
    BB 9700
    Tap

* unlocked phones
    THANKS

Phones
    Google Nexus 4
    NETGEAR 4G LTE Mobile Router, Novatel 4510L, HTC Rezound
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless|-T--Mobile USA|Get More|
    Feedback Score
    MyTouch is super easy to hack and can be tethered, probably easier than BB or WinMo, but if you are on an old ($19.99) data plan, I recommend against android.

Phones
    Google Nexus 4
    NETGEAR 4G LTE Mobile Router, Novatel 4510L, HTC Rezound
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless|-T--Mobile USA|Get More|
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottish Skyedance
    HTC Dash 3G, TP2
    Pharos 137*
    BB 9700
    Tap

* unlocked phones
    Scottish, the EM+ 3 in 1 plans include VPN internet3 APN as well?

Phone
    Carriers
    T-Mobile Simple Plan 4 lines (unlimited on one and 2.5GB sharing on another) $130 | 4.5GB MBB
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Antenna
    Scottish, the EM+ 3 in 1 plans include VPN internet3 APN as well?
    According to what CS said, internet3 is not included, only wap, epc, and internet2.

Phones
    Google Nexus 5
    Google Nexus 4 (Wife)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    MyTouch is super easy to hack and can be tethered, probably easier than BB or WinMo, but if you are on an old ($19.99) data plan, I recommend against android.
    Not with WinMo since there are net sharing apps (WiFi, BT, and USB) are available. Click and done.

Phone
    Carriers
    Feedback Score
    WM can be tethered out of the box. You can use Internet Sharing to tether.

Phones
    Nexus One
    RIM BB Curve 8900
    TMo Wing
    Feedback Score
    The irony is you do NOT need to hack anything with a WinMo or BB phone to tether. You can do it right out of the box either via USB or blutooth. With WinMo, you just turn on Internet Sharing. With BB, you just have to configure the modem.

BTW, I can tether on my BB 8900. For some reason the speed is more tolerable than the Dash I had, even tho neither are 3G. I'm sure the 3G phones are significantly faster.

Phones
    Blackberry 8320 "curve"
    Franklin CDU-680 USB modem
    Carriers
    T-mobile;
    Feedback Score
    So NO android phones can tether?

BTW my wifes TM506 tethers great in Linux
    Take care,
    Seth

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by setherd
    So NO android phones can tether?

BTW my wifes TM506 tethers great in Linux
    Android phones can be tethered but with an exception. You need to either get PDANet (trial program at first but you can pay $29.99 to have full access to secured sites) or rooting your phone.

Windows Mobile and BB OS phones give you the capability of tethering right out of the box without any special hack or program.

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S III
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Select
    Android phones can be tethered but with an exception. You need to either get PDANet (trial program at first but you can pay $29.99 to have full access to secured sites) or rooting your phone.

Windows Mobile and BB OS phones give you the capability of tethering right out of the box without any special hack or program.
    only android phones made by HTC can be rooted as of right now too

Feedback Score
    I think the first question is what phones will work with your data plan. For example only dumb phones will work on the old grand fathered Total Internet.

I have heard that you can upgrade the grandfathered Total Internet plan to a new grandfathered plan that will work with a windows mobile phone but not a android phone.

The second question is, of those phones, which will work on the 2G or both the 2G and 3G network. Is speed important?

Because Tmobile has disabled tethering on their dumb phone you need to ask, of those dumb phones, which phones will need a software change.

You also need to ask about software changes or settings for the smart phones, if you choose a smart phone.

And then which phones will you have to buy unlocked and which you can get from Tmobile.

Quote Originally Posted by Boriqua5199
    I have the old dash and unlimited internet plan. I just found out i can tether with laptop and don't need to buy a data card. My contract ends in February and i want to stay with T-mobile and get a new phone. What phones can i get at t-mobile that will also tether with laptop?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast