Thread: Please Help - I can hear them but they can't hear me

Phones
    moto Z9
    nokia 5800
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Please Help - I can hear them but they can't hear me

I wold apprecaite any insight or info that could help me out with this situation.

Here is my set up:
    I live in Valley Forge, PA (Philly Suburbs), 610 and 484 area codes. I have a Moto Z9 and my wife has a Moto Razr2 V9x. My wife just upgraded from a moto razr V3xx two weeks ago. We are on a 3000 minute plan and have unlimited texting.

Here is my dilemma:
    For as long as i can remember, at&t has provided my wife and I with great reception both inside and outside of our house and offices. Up until 5 weeks ago, everything was fine with our cell service reception. Then, our phones started dropping calls and causing problems. At first, i thought it was just my wife's phone. I blamed it on her still having a v3xx. However, a day or two after her cell service issues started, my cell service started screwing up too.

Here is what happens on our phones:
    1. While inside the house and on a phone call, I can hear the party i am speaking with perfectly fine. I can hear every word they say. However, the person i am on the phone with can only hear every other word and or they tell me that they hear a lot of digital transmission/interference.
    2. While outside of our house, the phone conversation is crystal clear for the person i am speaking with and vice versa. The bad reception only occurs while I'm in my house. which is weird, because this kind of stuff never happened to us before 5 weeks ago.
    3. Also, While in the house, the phone call is occasionally dropped.

My theories:
    1. As stated, up until 5 weeks ago, i've always had great cell reception inside my house. Knowing the 850 Mhz penetrates buildings better than 1900 Mhz, i'm thinking that the towers in my neighborhood are not working correctly, or something is screwy with the 850 Mhz.
    2. I did some googling and found that people who have described the same issues i'm having occurred almost 3 years ago. People who bought the iphone in early 2007, in the philadelphia area were posting about the same thing happening, "i can hear them, but they can't hear me", "the other person hears digital interference", etc. So I am thinking that maybe something is funky with 3G network in my neighborhood.

Support from AT&T:
    I have spoken to AT&T several times over the past 2 weeks. today, they finally created a "case file" for me. The cust. serv. rep said that they usually don't create a case file for these types of issues. She said they are only doing it because i told them that i've always had great service inside my house up until 5 weeks ago. The cust. serv. rep even called me back on my cell phone to hear for themselves and acknowledged the "cut-out" of words and the "digital interference". Then the rep asked me to document at least 3 calls this has happened on so she could start the case file. Now i just have to wait for them to call me back and give me an update...

Speaking of Updates, do any of you have an idea as to why this is happening? I would greatly appreciate any insight or ideas from all of you.

I work out of my house and using my cell phone in my home office is vital. My wife also takes a lot of work calls when she is home. So having usable cell service in our house is crucial. If AT&T cannot get this resolved, and if i can't figure out what is going on, then I am going to have to jump ship. That is the last thing i want to do, since my wife and i have been customers since 1999. but i may be left with no choice. That's why I would appreciate any and all insight as to what you all think is going on with my cell service.

Thanks Everybody!!

Will

Phones
    Samsung Captivate
    Samsung Captivate
    Motorola V3xx (retired)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Do you know if AT&T has recently turned on 3G in your area? If they're using both 850 and 1900, then on GSM, you'd probably have been picking up the 850 signal, but if they just turned on 3G, and if it's running only on 1900, then a 3G phone will prefer it over GSM, which means you'll be using 1900.
    The 411 on Free 411
    Hanging Up on Telemarketers
    Need to waste some valuable time? Read my blog![/COLOR] Marion's Time Waster

Phones
    moto Z9
    nokia 5800
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Please Help - continued

Hello ALCingularUser,

Thanks for the reply. To the best of my knowledge, we've had 3G in the area for a long time, so I don't think it's an issue of it being turned on.

Update:
    Just got a call from an AT&T service/tech rep (404 area code). She called my cell phone, and she couldn't understand me. she called back and left a voicemail. I called her back from my land line and I explained what my situation was. She then said she needs to "trace" a call to my cell phone, so she called my cell phone again and she heard the digital static and echo, agian. I then called her from my land line again and she said that something has to be broke/not working with the cell site closest to my house. She said that my issues are common and she would send a technician out to my cell tower within the next day or two to look at it. She said the issue is "1-way audio" and it is usually due to the T1 line in the Cell Tower's "trunk tights"??? whatever that means.

I just hope that whoever goes out the cell tower can fix this issue for us.

Not that it's a huge deal, but i'll keep the message board posted as to what happens over the next day or two.

Phones
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Will6
    Hello ALCingularUser,

Thanks for the reply. To the best of my knowledge, we've had 3G in the area for a long time, so I don't think it's an issue of it being turned on.

Update:
    Just got a call from an AT&T service/tech rep (404 area code). She called my cell phone, and she couldn't understand me. she called back and left a voicemail. I called her back from my land line and I explained what my situation was. She then said she needs to "trace" a call to my cell phone, so she called my cell phone again and she heard the digital static and echo, agian. I then called her from my land line again and she said that something has to be broke/not working with the cell site closest to my house. She said that my issues are common and she would send a technician out to my cell tower within the next day or two to look at it. She said the issue is "1-way audio" and it is usually due to the T1 line in the Cell Tower's "trunk tights"??? whatever that means.

I just hope that whoever goes out the cell tower can fix this issue for us.

Not that it's a huge deal, but i'll keep the message board posted as to what happens over the next day or two.
    2 days!? That's crazy. Ask for a credit.
    v Speed Test with my Motorola Droid in AL. Droid Does (and so Does Verizon).

Speed Test with my Motorola Droid in Birmingham, AL. Droid Does (and so Does Verizon).^

Speed Test with DSL internet with AT&T(Bellsouth). Horrible.

Phones
    Nexus One
    N97 Mini (SOLD)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    hmmm, i better go check my "trunk tights" lol. its right next to my flux capacitor!! just messing
    Current Device: Nexus One
    Phone History: |N97 Mini| |5800| |E71-2| |N95-4| |N95-3| |N75| |6131| |6230| |SE T616|

| My HoFo Feedback |