Thread: ***Boost CDMA FAQs and Rules*** - Beginners, READ THIS

Device(s)
    LG Optimus T
    Carrier(s)
    WFM
    Feedback Score

***Boost CDMA FAQs and Rules*** - Beginners, READ THIS

Heavy editing done by martin_j001

Please also see the Boost CDMA Wiki for information.

Also please see the Boost Mobile Rules and Guidelines thread as you are expected to follow the rules while posting here. Ignorance of these rules is not an excuse, so it is worth your time to take a quick look at them. Also see the general HowardForums rules.

1. What plans are available?

- There are 3 plans available. Boost is no longer charging telecom taxes, so the bill is an even dollar amount. There might still be local sales tax on refill cards.
    Pay As You Go - Min - 10c, SMS - 10c, MMS - 10c, web - 35c/day (only charged on days used), call waiting - 10c. This plan is not available on all CDMA phones. (*As of 01/15/2010 it is being reported that this plan is available on all Boost CDMA phones EXCEPT the Blackberry 8330.)
    $50 - UNLTD (c290, w385, KRZR, Mirro-SCP3810, Incognito-SCP6760) - Unlimited talk, text, mms, web
    $60 - UNLTD Blackberry (available for the 8330) - Unlimited talk, text, mms, web and BIS

2. How do I activate service?

- Call Boost CDMA customer care at 1-877-TLK-MORE. You must have one of the 6 official Boost CDMA phones to start service. Those 3 phones are the Motorola C290, W385, and k1m KRZR or the Sanyo SCP-3810, SCP-6760 or the RIM Blackberry Curve 8330 (remember, these MUST be Boost branded phones to activate new service with Boost CDMA).

- If you wish to port a number in, at this time it is reported that Boost CDMA can ONLY perform this port when you start the account. You cannot create an account, be assigned a number, use said number, and at a later time port your old number in. See below quote for more info, in case you didn't read this FAQ first.
    Quote Originally Posted by deathtrip View Post
    If the ESN of your phone is active already on an account, they CAN NOT port a number into it. They can only port numbers in to brand new CDMA accounts at the time of activation.

So if you call Boost up and give them the 10 digit phone number and 4 digit pin and ask them to start a port in, they won't be able to complete it since the account is active. You need to call them back and tell them you had a rep setup the account to "test" it out and tell them you now need to port in a number and that they will need to CANCEL the current account to do the port in on a NEW account in which you'll activate now.

3. What's the best/cheapest way to pay for service?

-There are two ways to pay your bill with Boost Mobile. Re-Boost with a credit card, or by manually adding funds to your account.
    • Re-Boost will charge your credit card $50+tax (if applicable) on your payment date regardless of how much money you have on your account balance. You receive a $2 credit every month by using Re-Boost.

• Manually adding funds can be done by using a one-time payment with a credit card (again, taxes are charged if applicable) or by applying a Boost card/pin. When using a Boost card this adds the value of the card to your balance. When applying a $50 Boost card to your balance, Boost will use that balance on your payment date without adding any taxes. Using a Boost card is not as convenient as Re-Boost, but it can save you several dollars. $50 Boost cards can often be purchased for less than $45. See this thread to find and discuss places to get the refill cards for cheap.

4. Is it possible to use other phones on Boost CDMA?

- Yes, there are certain Sprint phones that can be activated on Boost CDMA. Also good to note: Before anyone asks "can a T-Mobile or AT&T such and such phone be used on Boost CDMA? The answer is NO. Always has been, always will be. The networks are different, therefore the radios in the phone are different and incompatible. Under no circumstances will a T-Mobile or AT&T phone work on Boost CDMA (or Boost iDen for that matter).

5. What about non-Sprint phones?

- Boost uses the same ESN database as Sprint, which limits the phones on the network to Sprint branded phones. Flashing a phone to Sprint firmware/OS will not matter because the ESN of the phone is the deciding factor.

6. I see all these posts about the 8350i on Boost iDen; can I use a Blackberry on Boost CDMA?

- Yes! The Sprint 8330, 8830, and Tour all work. You must load custom service books to the phone. You will not have full function, because Boost no longer allows access to BIS.
    - Of course, you can always buy the Boost 8330 to have a fully functioning Blackberry.
    - Sprint BB's can only be activated on the $50/month plan. YOU CANNOT GET BIS SERVICE ON A SPRINT BRANDED BLACKBERRY!
    - Member deathtrip has found the fix to enable MMS for Blackberrys that are not on the $60 Blackberry plan. Follow the directions in this thread

7. Will a Touch Pro2 work on Boost?

- Yes! Touch Pro 2 as long as several other Windows Mobile devices will work. Touch Pro2, Touch Diamond, Touch Pro, Intrepid, Snap, Q, Q9c have all been successfully activated.

- Recently there have been many people who have been unsuccessful in activating the Touch Pro 2, with the returned error of "incompatible with prepaid service". The easiest way to check would see if it will activate on your account is to verify the ESN on sprint.com.

8. So how do I activate a Sprint phone on Boost CDMA service?

- Call Boost Customer Service and pull a "fast one" by telling them that you need to switch to a new phone for whatever reason and that you have the DEC ESN of the new phone. Keep in mind that Boost does not technically allow Sprint phones, so the rep might not do it. Just BE PATIENT. You might have to call 3-4 times to find a rep that will do it. If they don't do it, thank them and go on about your business...remember, they are just following their rules.

9. So I can't activate my Blackberry 8330/8830/Tour on sprint.com?

- Correct. You must call Boost and swap it over the phone.

10. I have this Hero/Moment/Instinct/Pre...will it work?

- Sprint "Exclusive" phones cannot be activated. These phones include the HTC Hero, Samsung Moment, Palm Pixi and Palm Pre there may be others out there, but these are confirmed as not working.

-Recently, many users have had success activating the Samsung Instinct. However, not 100% of people have been successful. The easiest way to check would see if it will activate on your account is to verify the ESN on sprint.com.

11. I live in a 4G area...Does Boost have 4G???

- Hypothetically yes. However, there are no current phones that can be Boosted that support 4G. Boost, however, does have unlimited EVDO-A, which supports speeds of 600Kbps - 1,400Kbps.

12. Is roaming available?

- Not currently. There is some speculation that roaming will soon be available on the Verizon network. This is unproven as of 11/20/2009.

13. I'm having an issue with my phone...what do I do?

- DO NOT CALL BOOST CUSTOMER SERVICE/TECH SUPPORT if you have a Sprint phone. They do not support any phone other than the 3 Boost branded phones.

Search HowardForums. READ. If you cannot find the answer, ask. Yes, the threads are long, but there is no reason to create a new post to ask a question that has been answered 102,368 times already.

14. Boost CDMA claims they are nationwide, is this true?

- Yes, it is true, but there are still some exceptions. You no longer need to be a resident of the "original 13 states" that offered Boost CDMA service, but there are markets in which Boost CDMA may not have access to certain area codes/numbers. They claim to be working on this, but as of now this is the case.

15. Why don't the reps just activate my phone the first time? Why doesn't Boost have BIS? Why can't I use my Palm Pre? Why isn't roaming allowed?

- Be happy with what they give us. We could have a helluva lot less, real fast. Serious. Happened at T-Mobile, Verizon, Att and even Page Plus . What makes us so special? - fonesfonz

- This is a privilege. The more you complain or post questions or instructions on Boost Mobile's own facebook page, the more likely this privilege is to get taken away. So, in short, don't complain about the services because we are not paying for those extra services.

16. The list of phones currently known and confirmed to work on Boost CDMA:

a. the 6 "original" Boost CDMA phones - C290, W385, Krazr1, 8330, Mirro, and Incognito.

b. the following Sprint-branded phones may be ported-in:
    Blackberry
    * Blackberry Pearl 8130
    * Blackberry 8330 curve
    * Blackberry 8830 World Edition
    * Blackberry 9630 Tour (3G)

HTC
    * HTC DIAMOND (3G)
    * HTC Mogul 6800 (3G)
    * HTC Snap (3G)
    * HTC Touch 6900 (3G)
    * HTC TOUCH PRO (3G)
    * HTC TOUCH PRO II (3G)

LG
    * LG Lotus
    * LG Muziq
    * LG Rumor
    * LG Rumor2

Motorola
    * Motorola Rzr (3G)
    * Motorola Q (3G)
    * Motorola Q9c (3G)

Palm
    * Palm Centro (3G)
    * Palm Treo 650
    * Palm Treo 700p
    * Palm 800W (one user has stated that they have not been able to get data working "without extensive hacking")
    Palm Treo Pro 850

Samsung
    * Samsung Instinct M800 (3G)
    * Samsung Instinct M810 S30 (3G)
    * Samsung Intrepid (3G)
    * Samsung Exclaim 550 (3G)
    * Samsung Highnote (3G)
    * Samsung Rant (3G)
    * Seek
    * Reclaim

Sanyo
    * Sanyo KATANA ECLIPSE (3G)
    * Sprint Sanyo Incognito

ETA 04/11/10:
    LG 290c
    LG Fusic
    LG LX-150
    HTC Harrier
    HTC Apache
    Motorola KRZR
    Motorola RAZR2 V9M
    Motorola SLVR
    Palm 700w
    Samsung Ace
    Samsung SCH-i830 / IP-830w

Note: The 3G designation means that for the data side the phone supports the speedier 3G EVDO Rev A standard rather than the slower EVDO Rev 0 standard.

MOD EDITED 12/5/09:

Quote Originally Posted by Boooooommm
    Another tip: If you need support for your Sprint branded phone on Boost you should make an account on Sprint.com using you Boost number and use their help section. It will be customized to your currently activated phone with any issues you might have. Calling Boost isn't an option but you might be able to get it done through there.

On Exclusive phones

It can be assumed that past versions of an exclusive will remain exclusive to Sprint. For instance: The Samsung Instinct is going through its 3rd Revision.

The first model, the SPH-M800 even though not being sold by Sprint anymore as it was replaced by the SPH-M850 (or commonly known as the S30) is still considered a Sprint exclusive, thus forbidden for use on Boost's service. The same can be assume of future Revision (Instinct HD for instance). The WHOLE line is forbidden on the Boost service.
    Also, I've received a pm that I tend to agree with, especially when you're using phones that need to be hacked/modified software-wise to work correctly: "caution to beginners to document and SAVE for every phone they activate the SPC. You may not think you need it at the time but it is a must if you run into any problems and want to check settings." Thanks to texman for the suggestion.
    Last edited by martin_j001; 07-19-2013 at 08:48 AM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 3Gs, Xperia Mini
    Carrier(s)
    H2O Wireless
    Feedback Score
    It is helpful!

Device(s)
    iPhone 3Gs, Xperia Mini
    Carrier(s)
    H2O Wireless
    Feedback Score
    What about making this a sticky? Martin?

Device(s)
    Touch Pro 2
    Carrier(s)
    Boost Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I want to post something in this thread to reinforce point number 12. This is a post in Boost Mobile's Facebook page regarding enjoying the benefit of using some Sprint phones on Boost CDMA. Some content was snipped.

Boost mobile reads these forums and knows every move we make. To think we can "con " anything out of them is a sure way to anger them.

Would you like to be cruising on your hot Sprint phone on Bmcda unltd a month from now and Boost decides to kick off everyone who has a Sprint phone on there because of comments and attitudes like yours?

YOU are the one who thinks it's a con. I look at it all as a privilege and a bonus that I don't want taken away because of an attitude like that. Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

People messed with Tmobile's Sidekick plan loophone too much. Unlimited data on any phone even though it's only supposed to be Sidekicks. One dummy crowed about it on Tmobiles own forum. One online wireless magazine told the world. A week later, it was shut down.

Page Plus had Blackberry Service, for free...people bragged about taking advantage. Gone.

Att had unlimited web for $20 a month, people started tethering laptops to it and bragging about it. Att cuts it down to 100 megs a month.

All those were bonuses that people screwed up by being too greedy, too arrogant, too casual until it was all taken away.

I believe in helping others with Boost cdma as having only three phone choices is really limited, but you have to understand, Boost cdma doesn't have to let us enjoy our Sprint phones . Keep that in mind at all times.

Maybe you will appreciate being able to have that option a little more if you do.

Device(s)
    LG Optimus T
    Carrier(s)
    WFM
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff_adams
    I believe in helping others with Boost cdma as having only three phone choices is really limited, but you have to understand, Boost cdma doesn't have to let us enjoy our Sprint phones . Keep that in mind at all times.

Maybe you will appreciate being able to have that option a little more if you do.
    Jeff - I agree. That's why I put "fast one" in quotes. There is no reason to lie about it. They have a rule of not activating non-Boost phones, so we can't be upset if they don't want to do it. I was not suggesting that people lie...I think it is dumb to lie because as soon as they type in the ESN they know what kind of phone you are trying to activate.

I don't know if your comments were directed towards me, but I, too, think it is a privilege. I know they can take it away if they want. That's why I made the comment not to get angry if a rep won't activate a phone. They are doing their job.

Feedback Score

Rule number 14

Rule number 12 should be reordered so it is RULE NUMBER ONE.
    Mod, second the request Sticky for this thread please. Thanks.

To add another example: Verizon prepaid 99 cents a day web used to give unlimited web to ALL Verizon devices just about, till some dummies did the same thing Jeff just mentioned. Brag, brag , brag. They then kicked off every smartphone/Blackberry they could and now you cannot even get a regular phone with a full html browser on there. Great going guys. Thanks.

Because of that I have one more potential rule to add:

RULE 14, BE HAPPY WITH WHAT YOU HAVE.

No whining about, What? NO Palm Pre? What? No Hero? Boo hoo. Go get another one of the hundreds of different devices Sprint has available and live with it or go cough up the $100 for the everything plan.

This applies to ANY thing that Boost cdma does not have. Roaming, BES/BIS, certain phones/services. WHATEVER. Jeff is absolutely right in that being able to put most Sprint devices is a privilege, NOT a right. A privilege they can yank ANY time they choose too. It is $50 a month for unlimited everything. It is the best deal in the business right now. Ptel costs more and only allows their handsets. Page Plus has no unlimited data. Boost iden is too slow on web and only allows clunky old Nextels besides their limited and ugly iden Boost lineup. Metro/Cricket have horrible coverage and Eclipse Mobile does not yet have anything but a bunch of hot air.

Be happy with what they give us. We could have a helluva lot less, real fast. Serious. Happened at T-Mobile, Verizon, Att and even Page Plus . What makes us so special?

Device(s)
    BB 7100i
    Carrier(s)
    Boost IDEN
    Feedback Score
    It seems Boost CDMA is now available to the whole nation including Puerto Rico and Virgin Islands (I can confirms this physically and also online through boostmobilepr.com). I would add that to 13. Oh and I do agree on putting up #14. Some people just believe it's a right rather than a priviliedge. In fact I'd move it up to be 2 or 3 lol

+3 STICKY THIS PLEASE!

Feedback Score
    Excellent!
    FS: $200.00 for a touch pro on boost mobile.
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1592861

Feedback Score
    15. The list of phones currently known and confirmed to work on Boost CDMA:

a. the three "original" Boost CDMA phones - C290, W385, Krazr1

b. the following Sprint-branded phones may be ported-in:

Blackberry

* Blackberry Pearl 8130
    * Blackberry 8330 curve
    * Blackberry 8830 World Edition

HTC

* HTC DIAMOND (3G)
    * HTC Mogul 6800 (3G)
    * HTC Snap (3G)
    * HTC Touch 6900 (3G)
    * HTC TOUCH PRO (3G)
    * HTC TOUCH PRO II (3G)

LG

* LG Lotus
    * LG Muziq
    * LG Rumor

Motorola

* Motorola Rzr (3G)
    * Motorola Q (3G)

Palm

* Palm Centro (3G)
    * Palm Treo 650
    * Palm Treo 700p
    * Palm 800W
    * Palm Treo Pro 850

Samsung

* Samsung Intrepid (3G)
    * Samsung Exclaim 550 (3G)
    * Samsung Highnote (3G)
    * Samsung Rant (3G)

Sanyo

* Sanyo KATANA ECLIPSE (3G)

Note: The 3G designation means that for the data side the phone supports the speedier 3G EVDO Rev A standard rather than the slower EVDO Rev 0 standard.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Thread stickied. Title edited a little to try and attract more attention to it.

Become a Premium Member or Advertiser here!
    Want to use a referral link in your signature, support the forums by becoming a Premium Member!
    Have you read the forum rules lately?
    If you have a problem with a post for any reason, please report it rather than responding to it, and a moderator will be along shortly.

Device(s)
    BB 7100i
    Carrier(s)
    Boost IDEN
    Feedback Score
    Another tip: If you need support for your Sprint branded phone on Boost you should make an account on Sprint.com using you Boost number and use their help section. It will be customized to your currently activated phone with any issues you might have. Calling Boost isn't an option but you might be able to get it done through there.

On Exclusive phones

It can be assumed that past versions of an exclusive will remain exclusive to Sprint. For instance: The Samsung Instinct is going through its 3rd Revision.

The first model, the SPH-M800 even though not being sold by Sprint anymore as it was replaced by the SPH-M850 (or commonly known as the S30) is still considered a Sprint exclusive, thus forbidden for use on Boost's service. The same can be assume of future Revision (Instinct HD for instance). The WHOLE line is forbidden on the Boost service.

Feedback Score
    The Palm Pixi should be added to the exclusive phones list then.

Device(s)
    iPhone 3Gs, Xperia Mini
    Carrier(s)
    H2O Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by martin_j001
    Thread stickied. Title edited a little to try and attract more attention to it.
    Thanks martin_j001!

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    This thread is not for questions, it is for factual information about Boost CDMA. If anyone has anything that should be added to this thread, please pm me with the information and I will add it.

Thread closed.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Updated 01/12/10 with some new info on items 1, 2, 5 (some of the info relates to phones/plans that are in the works and may not currently be available, but should be soon).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast