Phones
    Nokia 7610 (White/gold ver)
    SE T610 Abyss Blue ver
    Samsung SGH S100,
    Carrier
    SiMpro
    Feedback Score

getting around bandwidth cap

shaw just call me to warn me about my upload bandwidth being over the limit , i'm running a ftp server on the standard port rite now, it's there any way to fool shaw so that they dun see that much bandwidth coming out of my computer??? if not, do anybody know a cable or ds provider in vancouver that have good speed (better or equal to shaw' s best plan) with a decent upload cap, or better no cap?
    People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.

Phone
    Xperia Arc
    Feedback Score

Phones
    AUDIOVOX 8900!
    SONY ERICSSON T206
    SAMSUNG A520
    Carriers
    Telus
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Why not just change the port? IE: 1000 or 1002. How about an msn port and just tell them you are sending files.

Phones
    Nokia N95 8Gb, Samsung i718, Samsung U608
    Motorola V400, Ericsson T68m > i
    Panasonic GD55 (Sold) Panasonic TX210 (Rogers)Motorola V400, Motorola T720, Samsung S100, Motorola v
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    i don't think they will allow it
    u dont' want to lose shaw do u??

they will eventually just cut off ur net u know, if u keep doing that

what are u sending/reciving anyways?

Phones
    BlackBerry 9700
    Nokia N82
    Carrier
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by couchpotato
    Why not just change the port? IE: 1000 or 1002. How about an msn port and just tell them you are sending files.
    An upload limit is an upload limit no matter what port it's being sent over and over which progam

Carrier
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by Killa
    An upload limit is an upload limit no matter what port it's being sent over and over which progam
    yes thats true

no matter what, it has to get to the shaw server to have it processed to the destination ...
    so your upload limit cannot be hidden

Phones
    Sanyo 5500
    Sanyo 5300
    Sanyo 5150
    Carrier
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    you could hide your bandwidth from them if you worked for them on the side that monitors it by just not reporting it, but that's probably not an option. cable service at the headend has bandwidth statistics with most cable provider setups similiar to what ipaudit is, but some providers have a filter that flags your MAC(cable modem s/n) in their system so they see it, your best bet if you want to run ftp is get a business account or ask if they offer packages with more upload bandwidth allowed
    Have you had some w00p today?

Near A Mall, nice mountain view from the living room.
    Phones
    Motorola Grey Flip Phone (DPC550), Ericssion Flip Phone (Black casing and white keys)
    Nokia 5190 (Retired), Sanyo SCP-4500 (Retired), Two T28w(Broken)
    CURRENT: 8390, SL55 RUBIN and 3650!!!
    Carriers
    Rogers GSM = Weird Coverages & Evil
    Feedback Score
    switched to Telus why wait...? you get a FREE modem and 24.95 per month for a year!
    HiTMaN

"Building a bridge of chance for the one you love" - My Sassy Girl

"Change the Unacceptable, Accept the Unchangeable." - Someone

My New Fun:

Phones
    BlackBerry 9700
    Nokia N82
    Carrier
    Bell
    Feedback Score

Re: getting around bandwidth cap

Originally posted by monmon
    shaw just call me to warn me about my upload bandwidth being over the limit , i'm running a ftp server on the standard port rite now, it's there any way to fool shaw so that they dun see that much bandwidth coming out of my computer??? if not, do anybody know a cable or ds provider in vancouver that have good speed (better or equal to shaw' s best plan) with a decent upload cap, or better no cap?
    if you live in the yaletown area you can get the telus fibreoptic internet. much faster than shaw and no bandwith caps

Feedback Score
    You realize that, if you get caught, it may lead to some serious stuff such as them taking you to court as that's illegal. When you signed up for Shaw, you signed an agreement to abide by their code of conduct or whatever, so they can use that against you if you get caught.

Phones
    SE P800
    Motorola v101
    Samsung T300
    Carriers
    Rogers AT&T
    Feedback Score
    According to their Acceptable Use Policy (AUP), they can terminate your service for whatever reason they deem. So if you go over, they can cut you off. I don't think they'll take you to court, as doing all the paperwork and legalities will cost them more than just killing your account.

However, there is no way to "hide" your bandwidth usage, as it can be tracked a number of different ways, either at the modem (Which you can sometimes foool them by doing a hard reset, but it may render your service dead in the water), at the local terminator (No way to get around this), or centrally (Definitely no way to get around this). Nothing you can do with MAC addresses either as it is a universal hardware ID hex number that is hard coded into every piece of networking equipment made.

Changing your port won't help, it just disguises that you're running a FTP server, and it's fairly easy to track down if someone does a port scan.

Really, you're out of luck unless you know someone working in the right operations center @ Shaw. If you're running a legit FTP, the best way is to pony up and get a better package.
    -G

Phones
    SonyEricsson T610
    Motorola V70 (RED)
    Motorola V600 (Hopefully)
    Carriers
    FIDO (Canada)
    Feedback Score
    Put simply all the above is ********.

I have shaw and I have uncapped my cable modem. Also if you get tricky you can change the Machine Identify code on the modem to another persons on your block or whatver.

Just keep getting their numbers and change yours accordingly.

Its easy when you know how.

I wont tell you how. I just needed to clear up the wake of bs written above.

Thanks,

SyS

Feedback Score
    Originally posted by Sysadmin
    Put simply all the above is ************.

I have shaw and I have uncapped my cable modem. Also if you get tricky you can change the Machine Identify code on the modem to another persons on your block or whatver.

Just keep getting their numbers and change yours accordingly.

Its easy when you know how.

I wont tell you how. I just needed to clear up the wake of bs written above.

Thanks,

SyS
    You're a smart man posting that as your IP is logged for the Admins of these boards and they can easily report you to Shaw and you = jail.

Phones
    Sanyo 5500
    Sanyo 5300
    Sanyo 5150
    Carrier
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    on a External Cable modem the only way to change/trick/ect.. the mac id is to take it apart and change the eeprom, but then your mac id is what is entered at the headend(cable company) for your service, so changing it does you no good. There are modem uncapping systems for use with early surfboard modems but again your bandwidth usage is just as easily tracked, i love how script kiddies post that they can hack this and that and change hard coded eeproms

Phones
    SonyEricsson T610
    Motorola V70 (RED)
    Motorola V600 (Hopefully)
    Carriers
    FIDO (Canada)
    Feedback Score
    Yodums... mate.

I wont tell people how to do it. Besides they'd have to prove i uncapped. Which is dificult to say the least. And i doubt some admin or mod is that evil.

Besides which,

I USED TO HAVE SHAW.

W/e

Take care all,

SyS

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast