Thread: I found a fix to my horrible signal strength issue

Phones
    Droid
    G1
    Dash
    Feedback Score

I found a fix to my horrible signal strength issue

I have been posting about the horrible Droid signal strength issues I was having in my home. Others with Verizon devices have good to great signal while I have poor to none.

I just figured out that the antenna must be in the bottom of the phone - behind the Verizon logo maybe. So what happens is that when I hold my phone in my normal way, my signal is between 96 and 100 -- which is terrible. When I either put it down or hold it with my fingertips (not too functional, but hey...) it jumps down to the low 80's - much, much better. BTW, it takes about 10 seconds for the signal strength to register the change.

Phones
    Motorola DROID
    LG enV Touch (retired)
    LG Voyager (retired)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Although I don't have "terrible" signal, I'm curious to exactly what it is that you've "found," but can't picture what it is that you're describing with your fingers.

Phones
    Motorola Droid Bionic
    OG Motorola Droid
    xv6900 NFSFAN WM6.5 ROM
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    The antenna is definetly in that bottom portion of the phone. I read somewhere that Motorola has stated that it was the only place they could get it to fit.

Glad to hear your reception has improved. I am finding that my Droid is excellent at pulling in a signal.

Phones
    Blackberry Storm
    LG Dare
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gbh2
    The antenna is definetly in that bottom portion of the phone. I read somewhere that Motorola has stated that it was the only place they could get it to fit.
    More like the only place they could put it without having the metal body of the phone faraday cage [block] the signal.

Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I thought somoene said it (antenna) was behind the plastic section near the camera which is why that is a plastic sticker.

Feedback Score
    Not the best advice, but i fixed my issue by getting a network extender. For some reason with the storm, i only have issues at my house.

Phones
    Motorola Droid
    Motorola z6c (kept for GSM)
    LG VX8300 (kept as spare)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I'm noticing a similar effect but even being very careful not to obstruct the antenna with my hand, the voice reception is nowhere close to my Motorola z6c. Go into the program test mode and you'll see that EC/IO which is a key measurement of signal quality -- basically a ratio of how much noise there is to one unit of signal that should register in the low single figures -- is 50 or worse on 1x, but a perfect zero on 3G. There's something badly wrong with the voice signal performance on this phone; it's a testament to how good the electronics are that the voice clarity is as good as it is given how poor the signal, but there's a huge problem of some kind going on, and yes I do get complaints about my voice quality and also the occasional dropped call, something I've never had before at home.

As yet I've not been able to figure out if it's hardware or firmware. My gut instinct says firmware but one of the floor samples at the local Verizon store has much stronger signal than the others. So maybe there's also a hardware issue.