Hi, I'm a newbie to the site, I've had my GU87 for only 1 week, but I love this phone. Here is what I've discovered about this phone to help you with your questions.
1. Reception- I can see the reception bars moving more than my last phone (a Siemens s55), but I dont have as many drop outs.. I did however put one of those internal signal boosters in my phone and it did help out some, not as much as the commercials say though.
2. Menu system- Very self explainatory, much easier than my wife's Motorola t720
3. Text mesg- seems pretty fast to type, to get a # to show up is a little different, you have to push a soft-key to change in the middle of a message to type #'s insead of letters, but I personally like it. The space bar is the pound sign.
4. Speed- no, they are pretty much instant
5. You can use the SIM for th phone book or the phone itself, you cant do a bulk copy from the SIM to the phone, you have to copy one at a time.
6. You do have to shade the screen in the sunlite, once again it is alot better than my wife's T720 though. The Screen is really nice and doesnt seem to get scratched up too easily.
7. Night shots are real dark, you need a light to be able to see the subject. there is no flash. (There is a flash on the soon to come X70)
8. You cant answer the phone by simply opening it, you can choose to answer by pushing any key or the "Go" key and I also think there is an auto answer that will answer it after so many rings?? I could be wrong on that it may be just a car set up feature.
9. It does seem to connect to the internet quicker then my last 3 phones and my wife's.
10. The earpiece volume could stand to be louder, but it is still better than any Siemens I've had, not as good as the T720 though.
11. The camera is a perfect match for the phone and the pictures look great on the phone, but are too low of quality to use on a computer.
12. The caller ID pics are real small, approx 1/2 inch tall by 1/4 inch wide.
13. Battery time is alot less then any of the smaller screen Nokias or Siemens, but I've been getting almost 3.5 days of use before recharging. My Siemens was about 6 days, my Nokia 7210 was about 5 days.
14. I have found out that it is much easier to download items to the phone via GPRS such as ringtones and graphics then with any other phone, I'm not sure why but I hardly ever get a page error.
15. You cannot get any other games for it right now, only Tetris and some sheep herding game. I dont play games much so it's no big deal to me. The GU87 doesn't support Java.
I think thats about all I know, this is the coolest phone I've had so far, but the X70 looks like it's gonna be really cool as well, but it still has a few months before it's released yet. Hope this helps some