Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Google planning "all-out assault" on mobile market with gPhone

Advanced Android handset nears launch

25 November 2009 11:13 GMT / By Amy-Mae Elliott

New gPhone whispers suggest that Google is gearing up for no less than "an all-out assault on the mobile phone market".

The report, from The Times, states that the new, Google-branded handset we've heard about of late will encompass "the first comprehensive Google phone service with unlimited free calls", and a built-in, advanced version of Google Voice.

"For the first time", says the paper, "a single company will control everything from the software in users' phones to the services they use to make calls and surf the web".

The Google handset is said to be "one of the most advanced smartphones, with a large touchscreen display and a [Qualcomm] processor almost twice as fast as the one powering Apple's iPhone 3GS".

It's likely to offer the future version of Android code-named "Flan", which continues the cake-themed updates, and is said to bring high-speed 3D gaming.

As mobile phone operators may be unwilling to offer a device that offers free Google Voice calls, it's suggested that Google may offer the handset direct to the public, although this could push the cost up to over £500 - but it's a price some disillusioned consumers may be willing to pay.

This latest report pegs a gPhone launch as early as next year in the US - we will keep you posted.
    http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/2979...e-phone-market

Phone
    iPhone 4
    Carrier
    Whoever is cheaper and WORKS!
    Feedback Score
    keeping my fingers crossed that it is...the Htc Dragon

Phones
    HTC Hero (RavensCroft ROM)
    Blackberry Bold 9700
    HTC Magic (Vengeance MoD)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile (Deutschland)
    Feedback Score
    Keeping my fingers crossed it's not like the g1. Retro styling doesn't work so well in the mobile marketplace.
    Revenge is a dish best served cold!

Phones
    Motorola Droid
    Blackberry 8310
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CA
    It's likely to offer the future version of Android code-named "Flan", which continues the cake-themed updates
    If your flan is anything like a cake then yer doin it wrong.

Phones
    Google Nexus 5
    Google Nexus 4 (Wife)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I'm in for one.
    Phone History: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 | HTC Sensation 4G | Google Nexus One | HTC HD2 | Nokia 5230 Nuron | Nokia N900 | BB Curve 8900 | iPhone 3G | Google Ion | Nokia 5800XM | Nokia E71-2 | T-Mobile G1 | iPhone 2G

My Feedbacks: eBay | Heatware | HoFo

Phones
    iPhone 3G on T-Mo
    Curve 8900 - 5.0.0.592
    Nokia 1208 - backup
    Carriers
    Magenta FTW/
    Feedback Score
    Let us not forget that Google's investment in Clearwire does allow them the opportunity to resell Clearwire's services.
    Google and Intel have options to become Clearwire resellers -- Internet service providers -- but have "no current plans to do so."
    via: BusinessInsider

Now, with that being said I also ask you to consider the analysis of Om Malik of GigaOm in this article titled Meet Google, Your Phone Company
    I'm somewhat skeptical that they would piss off their handset partners, but then again, if their product differentiated themselves from their partners' products then it could be a big deal.
    Chicken Slut

'It's rich drunk, it's kinda like business drunk. Either way it's legal to drive' - Jack Donaghy

Phones
    LG G2
    LG G2
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenslut
    Let us not forget that Google's investment in Clearwire does allow them the opportunity to resell Clearwire's services.
    via: BusinessInsider

Now, with that being said I also ask you to consider the analysis of Om Malik of GigaOm in this article titled Meet Google, Your Phone Company
    I'm somewhat skeptical that they would piss off their handset partners, but then again, if their product differentiated themselves from their partners' products then it could be a big deal.
    Yep-a-ru, I need the speed. I now use an XOHM modem to drive my Vonage box. Funny thing is there are two phone jacks on the back of the modem Sprint never implemented.
    Google’s goal appears to be nothing short of world domination. The technology giant may be working toward a future where it powers our smartphones, our tablets, our computers, the services we access on our devices and the networks we rely on for connectivity at home and on the go.

Phones
    LG G2
    LG G2
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by briareus
    If your flan is anything like a cake then yer doin it wrong.
    Cake custard, whatever, when the put one on Google's lawn carriers will quiver!

Phone
    iPhone 4
    Carrier
    Whoever is cheaper and WORKS!
    Feedback Score
    Yep-a-ru, I need the speed. I now use an XOHM modem to drive my Vonage box. Funny thing is there are two phone jacks on the back of the modem Sprint never implemented.
    UGH! Please tell me that is not the phone that Google is going to release it looks like hammered-sh*t

Phones
    T-Mobile MDA **KIA**
    T-Mobile G2
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I've been holding my breath since this was first discussed. Months ago. Thinks are getting dark, very dark. must. breathe. gSDFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Phones
    HTC Desire Z
    Nokia N95-1
    Nokia 3650
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    so this is how Skynet begins.

ok....
    in da hood we say "don't drink & drive, park & sip"

Phones
    LG G2
    LG G2
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dj dozhe
    I've been holding my breath since this was first discussed. Months ago. Thinks are getting dark, very dark. must. breathe. gSDFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
    The CEO of Google mentioned it a few years ago in an interview! Google doesn't believe a phone should cost anything near what they do, and even went further to say...FREE(assuming with Google advertising).

Carrier
    Page Plus x 2 lines
    Feedback Score
    mmmm. flan.

wait, what?
    Disclaimer: If this is an answer to a TECHNICAL QUESTION, then MY ANSWER is correct, even if its contradicting something that a tech support rep, or anyone else said. I am not giving you the answer YOU WANT, I'll give you the answer I know is CORRECT.
    If this is about CARRIER POLICY, then you should probably be aware that carriers change their policy unexpectedly, and inexplicably. Even if the answer is correct when posted, it could very well be wrong in a day, or week.

Phones
    iPhone 2G
    Nokia N95 8GB
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Can't wait if this is true XD. Hopefully Google picked the right manufacturer to do the phone :] with great specs. Anyone have any clues/hints/details that they are able/allowed to tell us ?

Phones
    LG VX9700 DARE
    LG VX8300 - retired
    Motorola V3c RAZR - retired
    Carriers
    Verizon (3 yr and going)
    Cricket (1 yr)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rrazr-X7
    keeping my fingers crossed that it is...the Htc Dragon
    I'm hoping it's not. Google would let HTC release their "traditional cell phone" in December before releasing their HTC build (rumor) gPhone after the 1st of the year.

The CEO of Google mentioned it a few years ago in an interview! Google doesn't believe a phone should cost anything near what they do, and even went further to say...FREE(assuming with Google advertising).
    I have no doubt that if Google had won their 700Mhz bid, they would probably offer free service (ad driven), but since they didn't, most rumors are "data only" plans, most likely from AT&T (bummer).

The gPhone sounds like a great idea, I just wonder if they should wait tell LTE is rolled out in 2011. Data and Google Voice calls (ie skype) would both benefit from the faster network.

And no, I won't pay $825 USD for a cell phone, unless it DID have unlimited free service. But that depends on how the ad revenue is pushed to the phone too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast