Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Renewing DirecTV Contract and Free Upgrades

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,904
    Carrier
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    0

    Renewing DirecTV Contract and Free Upgrades

    Hey, everyone!

    I'm thinking about renewing my DirecTV contract. It expires in February of next year. Do you know of a good time to call? Do you think I should call now, or wait until after it expires?

    I'm looking for the best deal to renew my contract, of course. Do you know what they're offering, and what I should ask for?

    If you know of anything I can get, without a contract extension, please let me know too. I'd rather stay out-of-contract if I will get the same deals whether I renew or go month to month.

    Lastly, if you have a reason on why I should cancel DirecTV, and switch to Comcast or Dish Network because of a deal they're offering, please let me know. I don't want to sign a contract and then hear of a better deal.

    Thanks everyone!

    -Avenue

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,904
    Carrier
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    0
    Well, I went ahead and gave them a call. I did get a good deal, and I did renew my contract.

    I've been paying about $90/month. That gave me:

    Choice Extra with HD-DVR
    HD Access
    HD Extra Pack
    Protection Plan

    I was able to get:

    $20/month Discount for 6 Months
    $10/month Discount for 12 Months (HD Access Fee Waived)
    FREE Standard Receiver to DVR Upgrade and Installation
    FREE Starz and Shotime for 6 Months

    That comes out to $20/month Discount for 12 Months on average.

    That bring my bill down from $90/month to $70/month.

    If I was a new customer, I'd be paying about $65/month. So, I'm basically paying $5/month more, but I'm an existing customer. That is close enough for me!

    What do you think?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Northwest Iowa
    Posts
    7,730
    Carrier
    Straight Talk Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    That's not bad. Matter of fact, the other day I just realized I've been with Dish network for a year. I signed up with no contract which means I could walk at any time. I'm wondering if I can call in and do the same. We have Two HD receivers with the "silver" package (because a certain family member *HAS* to have the speed channel....) and we pay about $70 a month. I'd like to get that down.

    DId you just talk to a regular CSR or did you tell them you were thinking of canceling and talk to a retention specialist (at least that's how I used to do Cable back in the day)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Country Music Hell
    Posts
    434
    Phones
    Sanyo MM-9000
    Sanyo M1
    HTC Mogul
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    Not bad. I think I'd take it.

    But don't get the impression that what you got is an uncommon deal. It's widely known and discussed on TV forums (yes, they exist) that cable and satellite companies will offer new customer pricing to existing customers as a retention deal. Of course, this isn't advertised, but any savvy customer should know.

    Personally, I have Comcast high-speed Internet (16mbps down / 5mbps up) and digital starter (300 channels, but no movie channels). I pay $20 a month on the Internet and $30 a month on the TV (but throw in all the nickel and diming, and my bill comes out to $75 a month after taxes and fees). This is my six-month new customer offer and will expire in February, but I plan to call them up and convince them to extend it for me for another six months.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    6,172
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SprintGuru
    Not bad. I think I'd take it.

    But don't get the impression that what you got is an uncommon deal. It's widely known and discussed on TV forums (yes, they exist) that cable and satellite companies will offer new customer pricing to existing customers as a retention deal. Of course, this isn't advertised, but any savvy customer should know.

    Personally, I have Comcast high-speed Internet (16mbps down / 5mbps up) and digital starter (300 channels, but no movie channels). I pay $20 a month on the Internet and $30 a month on the TV (but throw in all the nickel and diming, and my bill comes out to $75 a month after taxes and fees). This is my six-month new customer offer and will expire in February, but I plan to call them up and convince them to extend it for me for another six months.

    They regularly deny me when I call for these things.
    My Plan:
    Simple Choice Unlimited Talk + Text + Web
    Line 1: Unlimited 4G Data + 500 MB HotSpot
    Line 2: 2.5 GB 4G data/HotSpot

    ALIQVA LOCVTIO DEMENS LATINA IN TRANSVERSVM SCRIPTA

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,904
    Carrier
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by matt314159
    That's not bad. Matter of fact, the other day I just realized I've been with Dish network for a year. I signed up with no contract which means I could walk at any time. I'm wondering if I can call in and do the same. We have Two HD receivers with the "silver" package (because a certain family member *HAS* to have the speed channel....) and we pay about $70 a month. I'd like to get that down.

    DId you just talk to a regular CSR or did you tell them you were thinking of canceling and talk to a retention specialist (at least that's how I used to do Cable back in the day)
    I spoke with someone in the Cancellation Department or the Retention Department. They have the better deals available.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,904
    Carrier
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SprintGuru
    Not bad. I think I'd take it.

    But don't get the impression that what you got is an uncommon deal. It's widely known and discussed on TV forums (yes, they exist) that cable and satellite companies will offer new customer pricing to existing customers as a retention deal. Of course, this isn't advertised, but any savvy customer should know.

    Personally, I have Comcast high-speed Internet (16mbps down / 5mbps up) and digital starter (300 channels, but no movie channels). I pay $20 a month on the Internet and $30 a month on the TV (but throw in all the nickel and diming, and my bill comes out to $75 a month after taxes and fees). This is my six-month new customer offer and will expire in February, but I plan to call them up and convince them to extend it for me for another six months.
    Yeah, I know a lot of people get deals like mine. The reason why I was a little worried, is because I have three months left on my contract. I wasn't free just yet. Another reason was because I wanted the best deal, or something close to it. I didn't want to settle for anything too less. I wanted to get the new customer pricing, and in addition to that, the $20/month off, but they wouldn't give it to me. I didn't know if I should keep pushing for that, or stop. Well, I decided to stop. What they gave me was close to the pricing for a new customer, but not better. It was good enough for me. Oh, and I got the DVR for free. A new customer would need to pay $99 for that because it would be a second DVR. So, it was a good enough deal for me. I know it is uncommon, but I'm happy.

    EDIT: I have Comcast too. I was paying $24.99/month + $4.99/month (Modem and Router Rental) for 20 Mbps (Blast!) for 12 months. That came close to expiration, so I kept chatting with them (I always chat online) and I got a 4 Mbps 'free' speed upgrade and a new plan for 12 months. The new plan is $29.99/month + $3/month (For Modem, Router is Free Now). So, now I'm at 24 Mbps for about $35/month. Not bad. I called Comcast about TV and they didn't want to give me any good deals. The best they'd give me was $70/month for the channels I wanted (200, which is close to what I get with DirecTV) but I don't think that included the two DVR's and the High Definition Service. So, I didn't go with them for the TV. Oh, and if I remember correctly, the $29.99/month plan only comes with 80 channels, not 300. I don't know what deal you got, but if it is $30/month for 300 channels, that's a good deal!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Redwood Empire
    Posts
    1,707
    Phones
    Motorola E-815
    Moto E-815
    LG VX-5500
    Carrier
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    0
    Avenue,

    What concerns me the most about DTV is their contract, and customer deception. Also, it seems that if you do not have a service contract with them, and a receiver has a problem, very, very common, they charge you $20. and send you an old rev. refurb that sometimes looks a bit trashed. The only real advantage to DTV is the FOOTBALL! package. Otherwise, Comcast will deliver a less video compressed picture and a broader selection of on-demand not to mention more HD channels. Also most of the time there is no contract and you can wheel and deal with them to wave installation. The most recent hot deal is the one I have that was a one year contract. 22 Meg HSI for $29.95 a month, 1 HD dual tuner DVR (free), Digital prefereed/expanded, HBO for 12 months free + a secon HD non DVR box for $59./month with taxes the whole thing comes to $93. a month. I am a low voltage systems integrator and as long as you can get the Motorola 3400 series box can easily say that the picture quality on Comcast is better.
    "So we went to Atari and said, 'Hey, we've got this amazing thing, even built with some of your parts, and what do you think about funding us? Or we'll give it to you. We just want to do it. Pay our salary, we'll come work for you.' And they said, 'No.' So then we went to Hewlett-Packard, and they said, 'Hey, we don't need you. You haven't got through college yet.'"

    -Apple Computer Inc. founder Steve Jobs on attempts to get Atari and HP interested in his and Steve Wozniak's personal computer

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,904
    Carrier
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by fearlessflyer
    Avenue,

    What concerns me the most about DTV is their contract, and customer deception. Also, it seems that if you do not have a service contract with them, and a receiver has a problem, very, very common, they charge you $20. and send you an old rev. refurb that sometimes looks a bit trashed. The only real advantage to DTV is the FOOTBALL! package. Otherwise, Comcast will deliver a less video compressed picture and a broader selection of on-demand not to mention more HD channels. Also most of the time there is no contract and you can wheel and deal with them to wave installation. The most recent hot deal is the one I have that was a one year contract. 22 Meg HSI for $29.95 a month, 1 HD dual tuner DVR (free), Digital prefereed/expanded, HBO for 12 months free + a secon HD non DVR box for $59./month with taxes the whole thing comes to $93. a month. I am a low voltage systems integrator and as long as you can get the Motorola 3400 series box can easily say that the picture quality on Comcast is better.
    Well, I'm fine with the contract, as long as I'm getting a good deal (a good deal, in my opinion, may be different than yours). I have the Protection Plan ($5.99/month) which covers just about everything. So, if something goes wrong, I'm covered. I think that is the same even if I was out of the contract. Comcast also has a Protection Plan, but if the equiptement goes bad, you can get it replace WITHOUT the Protection Plan, if I remember correctly. Also, I think DirecTV has more High Definition channels than Comcast. The advertisements are misleading, but if I remember correctly, DirecTV has the most High Definition Channels, meaning channels that run 24/7, such as A&E, CNN, etc. Comcast has more High Definition CONTENT, which is because of their On Demand library. It all depends on what you prefer. Do you want to have more high definition content that you can watch at any time, or do you want to watch more channels that are in high definition? You can see, it seems to be a little misleading. I think eventually most if not all of the channels will be in High Definition on DirecTV, Dish Network, and Cable. It is just a matter of time.

    I think you got a great deal on your Internet. I get 24 Mbps, for $29.99/month, but after the modem, I think it comes to about $34.99/month.

    I don't know anything about the picture quality. Each time I get a new TV, and a new provider, I say "Now, there is NO WAY it can get better than this!", and it... always does..

    I had Comcast for Standard Definition and when I switched to DirecTV (SD, still), I thought it looked a lot better. It was either better quality, or it was all in my head (most likely..). When I got HD, it was amazing. I haven't had Comcast HD, so I don't know how it is. I think when it comes to quality it is all based on opinion unless you have them side by side.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Northwest Iowa
    Posts
    7,730
    Carrier
    Straight Talk Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    I think when it comes to HD the cable companies probably compress it about as much as the satellite companies.

    I got into a contract with dish all to save $15 a month for 12 months. 24 month contracts for TV just seem draconian though.

    Is DIRECTV a 18 or 24 month contract?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,904
    Carrier
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by matt314159
    I think when it comes to HD the cable companies probably compress it about as much as the satellite companies.

    I got into a contract with dish all to save $15 a month for 12 months. 24 month contracts for TV just seem draconian though.

    Is DIRECTV a 18 or 24 month contract?
    DirecTV is a 12 month contract with a regular receiver and 24 month contract with an 'advanced receiver' which would be a DVR or an HD-DVR. So, I'm in a 24 month contract. After 12 months, I'm going to call to try to get a better deal (probably just a monthly discount, without a contract renewal).

    Did you search online for what other people were getting to stay with Dish Network before calling? I'm surprised they didn't give you a better deal! I mean, $15/month doesn't seem like much, but I guess it comes out to about the new customer pricing, which isn't bad. Too bad they didn't offer you a credit on the bill, or a upgrade, or free movies. Well, you're saving $15/month. You were going to stay with Dish Network anyway right? So, you're basically saving $15/month for nothing, because you were staying anyway.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    6,688
    Phone
    BB 9630 Tour
    Carriers
    Boost
    Feedback Score
    0
    I recently moved, and when I did I requested a DVR upgrade. they brought it out, and treated it as a completely new install. Set up service, and told me they would cancel my old service. I knew it was gonna be all F'd up, and thats why i did it this way.

    Then I simply called in, explained I already had DTV and just wanted to upgrade my receiver. They told me you couldn't just do that, and I said well I only wanted to pay you guys for DVR service but you say I can't now? Anyway long story short, they gave me the new receiver, canceled my old account, treated me like a new customer AND removed the 12 month contract. i'm basically month to month as a new customer and been with DTV for 3 years. Yea and I get the premiums for 6 months free, all that jazz.
    -------------------------------------------
    Isriam
    Want 20GB of FREE storage? Much better than Dropbox with better software, service, and rules! +5GB for every referral you get! Click me

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,904
    Carrier
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Isriam
    I recently moved, and when I did I requested a DVR upgrade. they brought it out, and treated it as a completely new install. Set up service, and told me they would cancel my old service. I knew it was gonna be all F'd up, and thats why i did it this way.

    Then I simply called in, explained I already had DTV and just wanted to upgrade my receiver. They told me you couldn't just do that, and I said well I only wanted to pay you guys for DVR service but you say I can't now? Anyway long story short, they gave me the new receiver, canceled my old account, treated me like a new customer AND removed the 12 month contract. i'm basically month to month as a new customer and been with DTV for 3 years. Yea and I get the premiums for 6 months free, all that jazz.
    Pretty good! You got the new customer pricing, the free install, and everything, without a contract! Nice!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    1,162
    Phones
    Motorola Droid
    HTC Touch Pro II
    Blackberry 8330
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Metro PCS(former), Cingular (former)
    Feedback Score
    0
    The one thing I hate about directv is the fact that they nickel and dime you on every service and they no longer allow you to keep your reciever even after your contract is up.

    If I could get comcast instead I would. Comcast operates in my area but they haven't wired our neighborhood yet.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Country Music Hell
    Posts
    434
    Phones
    Sanyo MM-9000
    Sanyo M1
    HTC Mogul
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Trey1475
    The one thing I hate about directv is the fact that they nickel and dime you on every service and they no longer allow you to keep your reciever even after your contract is up.

    If I could get comcast instead I would. Comcast operates in my area but they haven't wired our neighborhood yet.
    Go door to door and get people to sign a petition and then send it to Comcast. Petitions usually don't actually do anything, but I think it possibly could in this case.

Bookmarks