Thread: What Does 1X Mean?

Feedback Score

What Does 1X Mean?

Can someone tell me what the 1X means before the signal strength bars. I have looked in the manual to my phone (LG vx5500) and can't find out what it means.

Feedback Score
    1x means that your phone is using 1xrtt , the slower, older standard for web/data for cdma phones like Verizon/Sprint.

It has a maximum theoretical download speed of 144 kbps . The current faster standard is called Evdo which has speeds up to 600kbps or about that of dsl.

Phones with evdo can end up going to 1xrtt if they are in an area without full evdo coverage.

Most Verizon prepaid phones are 1xrtt. It help keeps the users from not burning as much data as an evdo phone. Verizon likes that. If you are on their unlimited .99 cents a day web plan, you will only use a quarter or so as much data as an evdo user will in the same amount of time.

Straight Talk phones, which run on Verizon too, are also all 1xrtt currently. (Though they are supposed to have an evdo phone out soon. Just one.)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by knowbody09
    1x means that your phone is using 1xrtt , the slower, older standard for web/data for cdma phones like Verizon/Sprint.

It has a maximum theoretical download speed of 144 kbps . The current faster standard is called Evdo which has speeds up to 600kbps or about that of dsl.

Phones with evdo can end up going to 1xrtt if they are in an area without full evdo coverage.

Most Verizon prepaid phones are 1xrtt. It help keeps the users from not burning as much data as an evdo phone. Verizon likes that. If you are on their unlimited .99 cents a day web plan, you will only use a quarter or so as much data as an evdo user will in the same amount of time.

Straight Talk phones, which run on Verizon too, are also all 1xrtt currently. (Though they are supposed to have an evdo phone out soon. Just one.)
    It's not exactly a slower/older standard for web/data as the primary use of 1X is for calls and text messages--1X is basically the signal that is used to make/receive calls and text messages.